Author Topic: Jet Sled  (Read 3430 times)

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
Jet Sled
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:35 AM »
I just bought a new Jet Sled on Jan. 30. It's the junior model. Yesterday, while leaving the ice I noticed a hole in the back about the size of a half dollar. I used this sled maybe 6 times, had it only 25 days. It really didn't get any hard use.
I contacted the local store where I bought it and they are going to contact Shappell.
I wonder if Shappell will stand by their product and make good.

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
An Update
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Just an update. Shappell basically told me to go to hell. They won't stand behind their product. The store I bought the sled from (Simon Peters, Newton, N.J), are great. They will refund me 1/2 the price out of their pocket.
I'll take that credit and buy an Otter sled.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Jet Sled
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:01 AM »
We had the same problem. if you drag it over pavement the sled will shred. also if you power auger accidently leaks the fuel will eat a hole in you sled.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2007, 12:16 PM »
 The sled is only twenty days old with 5 times on the ice, thats a little quick for a hole don't you think?

Offline grandpa jack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:43 AM »
I'm having second thoughts about buying one now.How is the otter different than the jet sled .A lot of people I know have the jet sleds because that is the only thing available in upstate ny.unless I 'm not aware of other choices.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2007, 12:01 PM »
My jet sled jr has probably a couple hundred miles on it. I bought it with a hole in the corner(got it half price,LOL) I have draged it down gravel roads with firewood on several occations.The bottom is gouged to heck,but is still in WAY better shape than the botton of my yukon that I have babied.I wouldnt buy anything but a jetsled. FYI, A little JB weld fixes those holes real nice.I have had it at least 5 yrs.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 12:05 PM »
The otter is made of thicker plastic.  I have both the jet sled and the Otter II.  My jet sled is 5 years old and haven't had a bit of a problem with it (and I beat the snot out of it).  The only reason I bought the otter was to throw my clam on top of it to drag it out to the lake.  The otter is 6' long and over 14" deep.  The clam goes in the truck first, the otter sits on top of it and the jet sled with all the equipment goes IN the otter.

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2007, 02:22 PM »
The Otter sleds are made of thicker material. I'm not saying that all Jet sleds are garbage, I'm just saying that the one I have is. It is possible it could be defective, but the Jet Sled company {Shappell) couldn't care less. They won't stand behind their product.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:05 AM »
I put runners on the bottom of mine and always make sure to cover the auger. I have had my jet sled for 3 seasons now and changed the runners this year. No holes in mine. Looks almost new.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2007, 02:41 AM »
yep, another jet sled failure story.

Bought a new Jet sled xl last week, built an awesome extruded aluminum hitch for it and headed out for about a 30 mile round trip.

first time down the trail with about 100 lbs of cargo and it's ripped stem to stern, I didn't notice running over anything but it filled with snow from the bottom up.

I will probably plate the bottom with some .063" aluminum sheet rolled on one end now. The whole reason I bought the sled was to avoid having to build one, in hindsight it might have just been easier to build one up from scratch.

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:49 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new jet sled but am now wondering about that otter! Is the otter available here upstate? Gander Mtn. maybe?
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:26 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new jet sled but am now wondering about that otter! Is the otter available here upstate? Gander Mtn. maybe?
Look around for the Otter, It will be time well spent.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:12 AM »
gander mtn in binghamton NY has a bunch at 25% off
as of sun. :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Hey Chuck, perhaps you should send the link to this thread to the people at Shappel...perhaps they won't like their products being slammed on the net, especially if they are gonna lose business to the otter because of it.  The squeeky wheel sometimes gets greased...

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:03 PM »
seen the otter earlier in the season at gander mnt in Cicero NY
havent had to go their since there has been ice  :)

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:07 PM »
I'll have to check Gander in utica! :tipup:
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:21 PM »
the only sleds that might compare to the
otter are the fishtrap x sleds
haven't seen one in person though :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline chuck172

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Hey Chuck, perhaps you should send the link to this thread to the people at Shappel...perhaps they won't like their products being slammed on the net, especially if they are gonna lose business to the otter because of it.  The squeeky wheel sometimes gets greased...

Good idea Kenman, I might just do that.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Had the Otter II for years and no holes or cracks yet.  Pull it over rocks along the shore, cement boat ramps & roads its got some tough plastic.  Grandpa even uses it to go sledding with the grandkids.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.