Author Topic: Heater Opinions  (Read 3561 times)

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heater Opinions
« on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:41 PM »
I've been without a heater now for some time.  I'm getting older and want to be more comfortable.  No more of this macho "I can handle any temp" stuff. 

What are your experiences with the Coleman Sportcat and the Mr Buddy? 

I have a friend who has the Mr Buddy, and he's had trouble with the pilot light getting wet and not working.  But I have other friends who swear by them.

What are your experiences?

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2007, 01:57 PM »
I have the Coleman Blackcat, and in my permanent 5x4 shanty, I set it on a little shelf I built, about waist high, and it keeps it nice and toasty.  On our coldest day last season, -20 degrees, it kept the shack between 60-65 degrees.  One of those 1lb propane bottles lasts 6 hours with it kept on the high setting.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline oleycow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2007, 11:38 PM »
I have the big buddy and I like everything about it.  Has a fan if you want to circulate air.  Runs on D batteries and last all season.  I don't have the fan on all the time.  The back and sides stay cool so you can put it close to the shack walls.  I use it in my Otter Resort and it keeps it T shirt warm on calm days.  I think I'll get the Buddy for when I get a one man hut.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 04:53 AM »
had a black cat dropped it once and it fell to pieces bought a buddy to replace it twice the heat like it better takes up less floor space and you can cook hot dogs on it lol

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I have used a Mr. Buddy for several years now and I like it .......

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Depends on what you need.

SportCat works well for keeping your hands warm, but if you want to sit in the shanty in shorts and a tropical print shirt, get the Buddy.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:14 AM »
I started out with a Mr. Buddy and liked it but when the weather gets down below 0 the small bottle would freeze which means "no heat" so I bought a sunflower style heater and an 5lb flat bottom propane tank to put it on. That one doesn't freeze and I can cook on it too. Another thing I discovered about the buddy is the sesetivity to wind.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:51 AM »
with that sunflower type heater do you not worry about carbon monoxide? I have one but use it mostly in my garage but it would be awesome in a shack.
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:30 PM »
I originally bought a Coleman Blackcat and took it back because it didn't throw enough heat for me. As someone said earlier, it is good for warming up your hands.

I got a Mr Heater Buddy and that thing works great in my Dewalt style shack. It was the same price as the Blackcat and throws twice the heat. Just the right size too.

I also bought a Mr Heater cooker http://www.safetycentral.com/mrhepoprhemo.html and it is perfect for larger shacks and for throwing a frying pan on out on the open ice. It's  like a sunflower but has a special bracket that lets you turn it upright for cooking on. I keep an old frying pan in my sled and I've cooked many a smoked sausage on that thing. I throw some sausage and onions in the pan and anybody fishing down wind from me must be drooling.  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:49 PM »
I have black cat, its a nice handwarmer! ::) It is OK in a small portable on mild days, but any real cold defeats it instantly. I do like it for a handwarmer though. I'm not being sarcastic about that. It has nice handles to grab and go without worry of burning yourself. It is also very wind resistant after you get it going. I like to take it with when the weather is mild for warming my hands when I fish outside.

For inside the shanty use, I have a Mr. Buddy. It works very well and throws allot of heat for the amount of propane it uses. I have never been cold in my portable with my buddy along! It is very wind sensitive, and bumping of tipping it also shuts it off. I have also had problems with the bottles freezing, I always have a spare with me so I change the bottle for a non frosty one. The only time I have had this problem is when it is very cold and it has been running on high for several hours. I would recommend a buddy to anyone. they are very reliable and safe to use.

Offline rippinlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:57 PM »
I have used a sportcat and it works well in my scout fish trap.  You can take your hat and gloves off it is cold with no wind.  When it is windy it keeps it warm enough but I usually keep my winter outerwear on.  I just upgraded to a 2 man shanty and have the buddy.  I cannot comment on it yet.  No ice to try it out.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:34 AM »
Skipper
I totally agree!! Probably the safest heater out there. the best thing is that if you carry 2 bottles with you, you have enough heat for 12 hrs. Thats long enough for any portable lol

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Thanks for all of your input.  Looks like the Mr Heater Buddy is the way to go for me.  I will be using it in a two man portable (Shapell DX 3000), so the wind should not be a factor.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Thanks for all of your input.  Looks like the Mr Heater Buddy is the way to go for me.  I will be using it in a two man portable (Shapell DX 3000), so the wind should not be a factor.

I have a dx 3000, it should be a perfect fit!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2007, 05:56 PM »
You'll be happy with it!!

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Well we were out this weekend in some COLD central Minnesota weather.  I use a friends Mr. Buddy and it kept the shack very toasty.  Temps were in the -11 F range and we ran the heater on the low setting most of the time.  I also liked the fact that it was quiet and the backside of the heater was cool enought that you could push it back against the shack.

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:44 AM »
For a clam 2000 portable ice shelter is the Mr. Heater Portable Big Buddy Heater to big?

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I think it is too big,  you'll  have to shut it off then it gets cold then ya turn it back on runs ya out I have a 5600 with a buddy heater it work fine the other night out in the yard lol I think 4000 btu will run you out of there unless temps are in the - F IMO

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Buddy for me in the shantie!!
I'm a sissy i'll admit it.
Always when the shantie goes out so does the 20# lp tank.Doesnt freeze up,don't run out and its 17.00 for a refill (not exchange). 20 1# bottles @ 2.50 = about 50 bucks. However its always on high..i like fishing in a long sleeve t-shirt.
Okay i'm a cheap sissy!! Just don't tell anyone.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline djohawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:00 PM »
i have the buddy heater and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it cooks me out of my bobshacker on high
its the safest i have used
dylan

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2007, 09:50 PM »
I have a buddy heater and it does blow out of the breeze comes under the tent of my Fish Trap II. I was out yesterday on a walleye Charter out of Port Clinton and the mate gave us a buddy heater and it wouldn't stay lit. It would turn off/blow out even if there was no detectable breeze coming in. I think all buddy heaters are not create equal...

The mate then gave us a Coleman one burner stove and we nearly cooked ourselves out of the shanty, it was so warm.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.