Author Topic: Line twist  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Line twist
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:35 AM »
I am having a problem with line twist. I have put a swivel on the line and it still twists. Any suggestions on getting the line to stop twisting?

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Line twist
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I am having a problem with line twist. I have put a swivel on the line and it still twists. Any suggestions on getting the line to stop twisting?
You can't stop the line from twisting if you are using a spinning reel.  Everytime you reel in, you are twisting the line up.  The swivel just lets the line "untwist" while the lure can stay still (not spin) "in theory".   You can use an in-line reel, baitcaster style, if you want.  ;)

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Make sure your putting it on the reel correctly. I f its a spinning reel the spool the line comes on should lay flat, usally label up. So it comes off that spool & goes on the reel in the same direction.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Sorry, but a properly working and used spinning reel does not automatically twist the line. Most line twist on a spinning reel happens 1. when it is loaded wrong and 2. reeling against the drag!!!! Reeling against the drag, is one I see anglers do all the time... Drives me crazy!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Simply put even if you decide to dump money on those new inline reels you will not eliminate line twist.  Just by reeling in the jig that alone will add line twist as it surely will spin on its way up or down. Line twist is inevitable and the deeper you fish the more it will happen. What you can do to help things is pull out line more than the depth your fishing and take the lure off and slowly crank it in running line between fingers. If things get real bad just cut line off and start over. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Sorry, but a properly working and used spinning reel does not automatically twist the line. Most line twist on a spinning reel happens 1. when it is loaded wrong and 2. reeling against the drag!!!! Reeling against the drag, is one I see anglers do all the time... Drives me crazy!
Yep.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:44 PM »
x3 and some lines just like to twist in the cold for some reason. Often major open water brands with an ice fishing sticker dropped on them for a quick mega profit

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Wondering why the manufacturers and anglers w/ inlines make this claim? Just a myth?

We talkin' a reduction in twist vs. none whatsoever?

Simply put even if you decide to dump money on those new inline reels you will not eliminate line twist.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:48 AM »
Wondering why the manufacturers and anglers w/ inlines make this claim? Just a myth?

Maybe a "gimik" or theory to some; but the inline reels for me.  Maybe I spool my spinning reels improperly or set them up incorrectly though.  ???

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:54 AM »
It is true that it is easier to put twist in the line, if you are using a spinning reel, whether it is through improper use or abuse (reeling against the drag). It is harder to put line twist into line when using a inline reel, but it does happen, primarily from again, loading the line wrong or lure spin. If you find that using a spinning reel you have a problem with line twist, a inline reel could be a good tool to help you over control it, but most likely, not to eliminate it. Like most tools the inline reel has its uses and "fits" the way many anglers fish. For me, I have little spin when I use my spinning gear and most of what I do have, is from the lure spinning (like a small Pimple or Halie), the same spin I get when I use a inline reel... If I fished more Tear drop lures or Ice Flies, I would get less spin or no spin (except when fighting a fish).

I have a outfit set up with a inline reel and do use it from time to time (rigged with Tungsten bead head flies that I tie), it rarely fits the style of fishing that I prefer, but it is a tool and has its place.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:54 AM »

For years a used fly reels on my rigs for shallow fishing. They do not eliminate but yes they do slow down line twists. Look at it this way if you fish with a Swedish pimple and reel it quickly to the surface while hole hopping the lure twirls and twists on its way up. Its not that the lures or jigs are perfectly balanced and do not spin when moved or reeled in. So really what will happen with the inlines is really like you say a reduction of line twist.  You get the same thing if you simply set the drag on a spinning reel and do not crank against the drag.  As for the manufactures statements I call it a gimmick to get people to buy their products. You can buy it if you like I wont stop you  just please let me know how it works out for you.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:52 PM »

Same here hate to see that drag singing and handle cranking...

Only thing is I can sometimes spool my line and it's okay and sometimes it's twisted. Any advice on getting it right?

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Ironeagle, first you have to check the rotation of your spinning reel[clockwise or counterclockwise] tie line on with the line coming off in the same direction as your rotar reels. reel in line 10 feet .....stop...drop tip of rod and see if the line twists. if it does flip spool over.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Not dropping and reeling in so fast is what I do when I'm fishing deep and it helps.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Ironeagle, first you have to check the rotation of your spinning reel[clockwise or counterclockwise] tie line on with the line coming off in the same direction as your rotar reels. reel in line 10 feet .....stop...drop tip of rod and see if the line twists. if it does flip spool over.

Thanks man, I do the old school, put pencil through center and reel it on. Sometimes it works, most times it don't.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:54 PM »
How old is the line and has it been on your reel?  What kind of line is it?  Mono will get a memory and coil badly after a year or two.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:02 AM »
Thanx for the great info!!!!
]

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:03 AM »
that is what I do too you can see when you flip it back and forth one side coils up more than the other,i started using one of the line holders years ago think its called dog bone or something but holds tension on spool of line when you are putting it on your reel works better than a pencil was not very much money.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:54 AM »
I've used Berkley spooling station for years. Makes spooling so much easier.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline bnybstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:25 PM »
loading the line correctly and using a quality ball bearing swivel if our chosen technique allows

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.