The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Minnow/Smelt trap  (Read 6837 times)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Minnow/Smelt trap
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Who has a fool proof design on a minnow trap other than the cone shape design? Can you make a trap for smelt? I saw a design on here a couple weeks ago which looked like it would work well. It looked like an old herring wier.
Steve

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow/Smelt trap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:09 AM »
any one ever catch smelt in a trap?  more than one?

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Yes, BUT

When the state changed the smelting laws they removed traps as a legal method for Smelt wholesalers.  So what few you do get are technically illegal to be caught and sold.  Way to go and exclude methods other than mainstream drop netting and hook and line.  Not fair.  It wasn't just spring dipping, you gotta keep on top of it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:37 PM »
hmm well then I wonder if you can use those oh 3' umbrella style nets to catch them for bait then????
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:40 PM »
hmm well then I wonder if you can use those oh 3' umbrella style nets to catch them for bait then????

Yeah, both lift nets and drop nets are still listed, they got rid of bag-nets though with the traps.  The 3' umbrella would be fine but your not going to get many with one pull.  Of course you need the Smelt wholesalers license to use any net other than a dip net.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Who has a fool proof design on a minnow trap other than the cone shape design? Can you make a trap for smelt? I saw a design on here a couple weeks ago which looked like it would work well. It looked like an old herring wier.
  Like this one here http://www.absoluteponds.com/traps.htm scroll down to "B"
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Never used a B trap, but the clovers with three cylinders and three openings, just like the B work great.  I use a lot of CLoverleafs, and make my own cheapie version for my use quite a few guys have made them off my pattern. Not a secret anymore

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:31 PM »
These are what I make, they work pretty darn good, pretty much the same thing as a "B" trap.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:35 PM »
How do you get the minnows out? Are those doors at the top or bait containers? That looks just like and old weir without the leaders. Thanks
Steve

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Just don't use cheap cable ties, some of the cheapies come un done and after a few big loads of fish I've had to refasten the trap.  I've had best luck with I quality white and black.

Offline WhiteGameHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:38 PM »
How do you get the minnows out? Are those doors at the top or bait containers? That looks just like and old weir without the leaders. Thanks

That is a door that you see, flip it open and dump out the minnows.

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM »
I do my doors the same on the edge

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM »
O....King do you think the clovers may work better then the cones ?   Here is a link to some clovershttp://www.texastastes.com/p138.htm  Lot of other good stuff on that site too.
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:47 PM »
My clovers are definitely better than my cones under most circumstances, especially good size bait.  My clovers aren't tall and their not the square type, they are round like an actual clover leaf, like the B but three round shapes and three slit openings.  I've had every clover trap set filled with nice shiners before, and I make smaller traps easier to handle.  They do good, of course its fishing they aren't freighted every time in every place.

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:53 PM »
I've heard good things about those ones like at texastastes.com and I know guys who like them.  I just like to make my own.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Yeah, both lift nets and drop nets are still listed, they got rid of bag-nets though with the traps.  The 3' umbrella would be fine but your not going to get many with one pull.  Of course you need the Smelt wholesalers license to use any net other than a dip net.
Do you need a license for personal use, I don't sell my Bait

Offline Osmeridae King

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Need a recreational fishing license to dip and hook and line smelts or trap and hook and line baitfish for own use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.