Author Topic: Polypropylene  (Read 3900 times)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Polypropylene
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:08 PM »
I had no intention of testing my gear but...last week I put my leg into a snow covered hole up to my thigh (picture a cork stuck in a bottle). Air temp of 10 and a 35 mph wind...wind chill had to be close to 14 below. Needless to say once I freed myself ( it took awhile as I thought I had broken my leg) it didn't take long for my clothing to freeze solid. I was wearing a set of polypropylene/merino wool underwear and socks, jeans, and my carharts as well as my Rocky goretex boots. The boot filled with water from the top and my skin was soaked. It took almost an hour for my wife and I to get back to the shore and to the cabin. My legs and toes never got cold! Once I got to the cabin we had to use a hair dryer to thaw out the carharts zipper and boot laces just to get them off and then pour the water out of the boot. BUT the polypro's worked just as advertised. I think I paid $28 for the set of underwear and $8 for the socks (Cabelas). Money well spent.
FTD

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Polypropylene
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:13 PM »
I recently got some poly's from cabelas too.I got the polar weight they are great.They actually had a long size,so finally long underwear that fit.

Bottom bouncer

Re: Polypropylene
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:40 AM »
I did the same thing , 5 degrees , 20 mile an hour wind. had trouble setting up my ice house in wind , drilled my holes too close together , decided to drill next to one hole to make it larger, time I got holes drilled and pulled house over them, the ice was not level and my house rocked when I moved around inside. So I drilled new holes and pulled house ahead.Had been fishing a while and wind was drifting snow bad outside , went to truck to get something and came around the back of shack and stepped in those two holes side X side, DUH , by the time I got inside shack clothing froze stiff,water in boot,nice....... I had just called the house to tell everyone I was going to stay out, so I had my tennis shoes in truck , grabbed em and took off cuvies,put on one tennis shoe and kept going. Later I was outside tending one of my lines  and a fisherman pulled up to see if I was doing any good. Must have looked Kool standing there with one pacboot and one tennis shoe on . Bruised my leg pretty bad just below my hip , learned my lesson, don't drill two holes together. Must have been tough not having any place close to dry out, I thought I was cold . Well I guess I was.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:29 PM »
man dont i hate stepping in an old hole how comt the one my  tipup is in freezes faster than heck but the one i step in stays wide open all day :-\anywho i think ill try the polyp's

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2004, 02:23 PM »
 I use polypropylene socks under my wool socks with Mickey mouse boots, really a comfortable combination. Bass Pro sells them for under $3.00 a pair, thats a good price compared to other supplyers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.