Author Topic: headwear  (Read 16842 times)

newyicefish

headwear
« on: Aug 15, 2003, 03:17 PM »
im new to ice fishing and to cold weather, what do i want to wear to keep mine noggin warm while ice fishing

thnks

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:headwear
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2003, 03:50 PM »
a stocking hat should do it.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2003, 03:52 PM »
you can also try a coat with a hood to go along with that hat.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2003, 03:55 PM »
read all the tips on cold weather wear in the forums. you should get quite a few ideas from there.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2003, 07:04 PM »
Something that Ive used for years are Helmet liners for hard hats the newer versions have long neck warmers and are flease lined They last for years and in sub zero weather can be down right hot. Some building supply outlets have them and they aren't expensive But you wont win any beauty contest wearing them. And I'm so d@mned ugly I don't really care I'm out their to catch fish not kiss them. ;D ;D ;D
Cold Feet

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2003, 09:27 PM »
Another good tip is to get something on your neck - a good quality neck "gator" will do a good job keeping you warm.  I'll usually use both a good stocking cap and a gator, or on a nicer day, just a gator and a baseball hat.  

Or, just wear a hooded sweatshirt and flip up the hood - that works too.  Comfort is key!  

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2003, 09:52 PM »
A hooded sweatshirt with a (GATOR) is the way to go.Cover your head and neck and you should be fine.I always bring a facemask for those unbearably cold days just in case.Remember,you can always put it on if you have it,but you cant if you dont.Like the boyscouts say,be prepared!!!!!!!!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2003, 09:52 PM »
Get your self a fish trap everything stays warm. Or an army hat will keep your head warm. Columbia also make a nice hat. Any wool hat will do!!!!!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2003, 07:36 AM »
just remember that you lose most of your body heat thru your head so keep the ole noggin covered up.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2003, 08:32 AM »
Well shoot me now! Just order a hat from IceShanty and help keep this sight going. I'm sure that Scott would love it if everyone ordered something. Sense we all use this sight and Scott is so great to keep it going we could do our part to help out! Besides when everones out fishing with a IceShanty product on everone else out their would know that we take this sport serious.Just go to the top or bottom of every page and click on merchandise and pick a product and spend some money for a good cause!
Cold Feet ;D ;) ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2003, 10:20 AM »
good advice. it should be mandatory to be on this site that each member buy at least one product.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2003, 06:38 PM »
Bought a hoodie last season and its nice and warm.Unfortunatly the wife likes to wear at my daughters cheerleading practice,so I might have to buy another one.Ofcourse she gets the hand me down!!Also bought a (I WOULD RATHER BE ICEFISHING) hat.I gets lotsa looks during the summer!!

newyicefish

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2003, 08:03 AM »
thanks for the replies so far, again im goin to be new to cold and ice fishing and other winter type sports, being from the south we dont have winter sports (nascar, golf are our winter sportz)

do i need something to cover my whole face?  what is a balclava i heard someone mention elsewhere?  mitens or gloves?  thanks folks

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2003, 09:06 AM »
the bala clava is a hood you put over your head and you can adjust it to just eye slits or expose your whole face. I use mittens. leather ones with a hot hands disposable hand warmer in each one. for boots I use the La Crosse iceman's.

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2003, 05:34 PM »
i got a rabbit fur hat for christmas from my wife.  she thinks i look goofy in it.  everyone else thinks i look that way all the time!  goofy or not i asked for it because it is very warm and even has earflaps.
BUD

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2003, 04:19 PM »
I agree Bud. I have one and even though I look like I should be on the red green show , it is very warm. don't let the wife bother you. she is just jealous cuz she don't have one. hahaha.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2003, 03:18 PM »
a stocking hat should do it.

Us canucks call them thar "stocking hat's" touques.

Just my .02

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2003, 02:02 AM »
us yanks call them that also.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2003, 07:21 AM »
I wear a badger fur Cossack style hat when I leave my shelter.  Most valuable piece of clothing in keeping me warm.  Warm head, warm feet!!!!  

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2003, 11:52 AM »
warm head and warm feet equal a happy fisherman.

newyicefish

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:38 AM »
once again i want to thank everyone for replies, now that it has gotten cold i can't wait to start fishin'!

trapdaddy21

« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2003, 09:36 PM »
you gotta go with the mad bomber or the stormy krommer hat.

fish_slayer

« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2003, 02:23 AM »
rabbit fur hat is really warm, wolf fur is the warmest, along with wolverine fur, but you can't find that stuff around here, so a rabbit fur hat like the mad bomber style, or columbia makes an awesome one is really good.  remember this is to stay the absolute warmest, to be hte warmest, wear one of these hats, wear a balaclava style super fleece face mask, a thick fleece neck gaitor, a columbia ballistic coat, with a down coat worn underneath it, becuase it is so thin this allows you to do that, and the ballistic shell won't let wind get through or water,(becuase it can be warn as a rain coat in the summer)  and the fleece liner is breathable, and keeps you dry.  A carhartt coat is also good, because a columbia like that is almost too pretty to use for ice fishing, and the price is too much just to wear it out in 5 years.  so a carhartt is relly good.  next, get beaver fur mittens, or some really warm columbia gloves that have a leather grip and are water proof, or a thin pair of gloves or flip up style goves, since you need good hand mobility for ice fishing. next some long johns, thermal under wear, and a thermal undershirt are a must, then some jeans, then some warm flannel shirts, then some bibs, tough bibs, carhartts are the best for this, uninsulated for warmer weather, and insulated for when it gets cold, then two to three layers of big thermal socks sythetic or wool are great, then some good high quality boots, 2000 grams of thinsulate for just sitting or a thousand for being mobile, do not skimp out on some good boots because cold feet are terrible, and a really good hat is a must, once you have your layering perfected it is great because then you don't dress up so much you can't move, and winter sports can easily be enjoyed if you know how to dress if you don't they can be miserable  This is my system, and I believe it works really well, if not the best that I know of, because I have not found a better system.  this is a summary of what you need to know, go have fun now

fish_slayer

« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2003, 02:26 AM »
Omni Tech is the system that Columbis uses for its coats and some gloves, so look for it on a columbia jacket

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:01 AM »
You are all right on with the outerwear.  Just don't forget the key is staying dry on the inside.  Get yourself some good silk or polypro underwear for against the skin.  No skivveys or anything else under them.  that goes for your feet too.  Sock liners are a must.  

Remember, Cotton Kills! :o
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:39 AM »
I take lots of different stuff in my trash bag of arctic gear - a polyester blend toque, a wool one, a balaclava, my billed cap with the earflaps(sometimes you need the shade of a bill). If you have it with you, you can adapt to the weather once you get there.  Some guys are actually brain dead enough to go out there when it's -35Celcius, though.  That's when I get out the old North West Mounted Police buffalo hat.  I can't wear it unless it's at least -25 C or I sweat too much.  Remember your shades, or have photo-gray glasses because the glare can really damage your eyes.  
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

fish_slayer

« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2004, 03:07 PM »
buzzbomb, thats right, bring a pair of shades with, because snow blindness is a terrible thing, snowblindness is what you get when you are in bright snow and sun too long, and you can actually start to go blind from it. if there is nothing around, go to a birch bark tree, and cut some of the bark off and make two slits for you eyes, and strap it to your head with something, string or whatever, and wear it over your eyes.  it can be an eye saver usually people don't get this desperate, but it is something to remember just in case

trapperdirk

« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2004, 01:11 AM »
 Well I myself wear our national symbol the beaver on my noggin. It's very light but extremely warm but tough too. If anything it can be too warm so I carry a ball cap too.
  Only thing is that unless you can catch and make your own hat they can be pricey but last forever . $150. cdn I believe .
  I also saw many mentions of sunglasses and as many have said  they are a complete must to wear . Doesn't bother me one bit to look like a coon after sometime on the ice on sunny days . LOL  ;D

bdperch

« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I wear my favorite baseball style hat and pull a stocking hat over it. It is easy to remove when walking around so you don't get all sweaty. It is also nice to have the full size brim. Also, Remove the stocking cap and you are ready for the bar.

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Just my 2 cents....I really like hats made by Polarfleece with Windstopper.  I have a neck gator made of the same material - really warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.