Author Topic: Transducer Cable Repair  (Read 2530 times)

CaseyCal

Transducer Cable Repair
« on: Dec 23, 2002, 12:13 PM »
Just recieved a Si-Tek Profish III. Unfortunately the cable has been cleanly cut. I am wondering if it can be repaired. I would buy a new one, but I'm a college student and hope to repair it myself. I noticed there is an internal shielding along with some cable shielding. It appears to be a cheap plastic type not a steel mesh. Would a solder-pen work for those? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks much!

Casey

Also, any idea how long the unit will run on a deep cycle battery on full charge? Thanks again!

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Transducer Cable Repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2002, 09:46 AM »
You can try this fix.  I did this to a friends Eagle graph and it is still working.  Go to an electronics store like Radio Shack and bring in your cable with you.  Have them help you pick out a BNC connector that will fit the inner conductor and also clamp around the outside coating.  Get two connectors and one barrel connector.  The barrel is used to connect the other connectors together.  Make sure the connectors that you get have gold/brass tips that you have to solder to the center conductor.  Don't get crimp on's as these will loosen in time and you start to get interferance.  (BNC connectors are like twist lock connectors.  You push them together and give them a twist on the barrel connector to lock them together.)  

The kicker with BNC connectors is that you have to get a good ground on the shielding in order for the signal to be strong.  You also need to make sure that you don't let any of the shielding strands touch the center conductor.  Once you get it together make sure you either shrink wrap the entire think or tape it up good that it won't corrode.  The connectors are not waterproof.

I believe Si-Tek was bought out by either Vexilar or some other company that Vexilar bought out.  If the fix doesn't work I would call them for a replacement or you might be able to send them the transducer and cable and have them fix it for you.  

Hope this helps.  I know where you are coming from when it comes to repairing it yourself.  Most people are to scared to even give it a try to save $70 for a new part...  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.