Author Topic: Marcum RT-9 Reviews or stick with LX-7  (Read 7170 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum RT-9 Reviews or stick with LX-7
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Thinking about upgrading my LX-5. I was leaning towards a LX-7 pretty heavy. I like everything I have read about it. Then I saw the RT-9 with gps and Navionics. I read some reviews on the RT-9 and they didn’t look very good but they were all older reviews. Anybody know if they got the bugs worked out? I see they have a Black Friday sale on them for $1200 with camera and xtra battery.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Marcum RT-9 Reviews or stick with LX-7
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:06 AM »
I have an LX7 and yes, like it a lot.  Been following the RT9 since it's introduction, and still reading some bad things about it.  I think with the new PanOptics stuff Garmin is putting out for ice, I'm leaning that way.

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:25 AM »
I owned the full RT9 system.  Battery life was the main issue.  Also a lot of camera delay.  Battery life could be solved with lithium but camera lag was bothersome.  The sonar portion was adequate but not as good as lx7.  I went panoptix.  No comparison Garmin is my choice. IMHO

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Have a Marcum LX3TC on the shelf.

Garmin 63cv is the one that makes it on the ice for me.
EDIT:  I put my Dakota Lithium in my Garmin.... 17 hours and counting @ 100% brightness.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I have an LX7 and yes, like it a lot.  Been following the RT9 since it's introduction, and still reading some bad things about it.  I think with the new PanOptics stuff Garmin is putting out for ice, I'm leaning that way.

Not to steer away from rt9 but I have always stayed away because they never really took off in sales.   Great idea but seems something is not quite right with them.   Lx7's are great, I have 2.  If you want GPS look at hummingbird helix 7. I also have one I use on boat and ice.  On the panoptix front,  I spoke with guy at bass pro,  he said lowrance was coming out with something similar in spring,  around $1000.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Never really felt the gps/sonar combo was all that useful  on ice.  I use a dedicated Lowrance unit on the ATV and a Magellan handheld if on foot for the ice, both with Navionics chips.  Though, a combo unit that could be moved to the boat would OK.  I do like the idea of the panoptic,or similar technology.  Guess whatever we buy will be surpassed in technology in short order.  I'll keep an eye out for the Lowrance products as well.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Never really felt the gps/sonar combo was all that useful  on ice.  I use a dedicated Lowrance unit on the ATV and a Magellan handheld if on foot for the ice

I had neither a dedicated GPS or a handheld.  To do so would be an additional $1000.  (figure $3-400 each unit + $100 each for lake chips?)

Kinda nice that Garmin bought out Navionics too.. and the 13,000 inland color coded lakes is nice.  (I think lakemaster is only 9 or 11k)

Either way for an all in one ice and kayak unit with GPS lake maps for $550 (I got both the ice bundle and summer boat ducer for that price).

Panoptix was too new for me (why i went non touch, non pantopix 63cv... I figured in 2 or 3 years the rest of the Lowrance and Hummingbird tech would catch up.

Marcum and Vexilar is going to fall behind if they don't keep up with the evolving tech.  (Does Vex offer even an LCD unit let alone a GPS?)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Thanks for the info I will have to check out the Panoptics.

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Lx7 is my choice. I have never had an issue. This unit greatly improved my catch rate.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:13 PM »
i bought the lx7 and upgraded it to the lx9. it's cheaper to buy the lx9 to start with. i wanted to make sure i liked the lx7 before spending so much on a sonar. i'm glad i bought it.

if you want the rt9. there is a sale on it. 1,200$. same price as lx9. sale expires at the end of the day on Sunday, 11/25/18
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/rt9-cmb-9-ruggedized-tablet-sonar-gps-combo-black-friday/

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Yeah I would zip past that rt-9.
Get a lx7 and if you want gps. Get a hand held. Then you can walk with it in your hand or drive.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:44 AM »
I have an LX7 and I might be selling it, and just use my lowrance 7 TI off my boat.
Price was the same as the Lx 7 and  the 7 IT has mapping .

I thing these guys that build these ice units are just over charging for what you get .
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

gman51

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:50 AM »
I have an LX7 and I might be selling it, and just use my lowrance 7 TI off my boat.
Price was the same as the Lx 7 and  the 7 IT has mapping .

I thing these guys that build these ice units are just over charging for what you get .   
   of course they are.... not unlike  most anything you buy now a days.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:13 AM »

Supply and demand - they charge what the market and production will support.  Talk everyone into boycotting something and they will either drop the price or go out of production.  Likely the later.

I think the RT-9, for it's price, is going to suffer now, with the new down and side view PanOptic stuff.  Maybe they can incorporate that stuff in their unit, if so, they should talk about it.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I have an RT9, an LX9, and a Humminbird 385ci also. I also have Helix 10's on my boat.  I thought the RT9 idea was great with the GPS built in, but as I continue to use it, I find that I really use my phone with the Navionics app, or my Garmin Rino for most of my map and waypoint use. I might mark a waypoint on the RT9, but I don't have any intention of trying to haul that whole unit around on my ATV for locating structure. The LX9 has been awesome. The video and sonar combo has worked great. The LX9 is what I use more than anything else now. There are a lot of things that I like about the RT9, but if I had it to do all over again, I would save my Money. The video format on the RT9 isn't very user friendly. With the LX9 I just convert the video files and edit them into whatever format that I prefer. I will continue to play with the RT9. I believe most of the issues that bother me could be remedied with future updates, but for me the workhorse is the LX9.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Thanks - that is great to hear a comparison.  Is the RT9 also heavier than a LX9 or LX7?  Guessing it is.

I have an RT9, an LX9, and a Humminbird 385ci also. I also have Helix 10's on my boat.  I thought the RT9 idea was great with the GPS built in, but as I continue to use it, I find that I really use my phone with the Navionics app, or my Garmin Rino for most of my map and waypoint use. I might mark a waypoint on the RT9, but I don't have any intention of trying to haul that whole unit around on my ATV for locating structure. The LX9 has been awesome. The video and sonar combo has worked great. The LX9 is what I use more than anything else now. There are a lot of things that I like about the RT9, but if I had it to do all over again, I would save my Money. The video format on the RT9 isn't very user friendly. With the LX9 I just convert the video files and edit them into whatever format that I prefer. I will continue to play with the RT9. I believe most of the issues that bother me could be remedied with future updates, but for me the workhorse is the LX9.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Thanks - that is great to hear a comparison.  Is the RT9 also heavier than a LX9 or LX7?  Guessing it is.
It is heavier. The RT9 is probably good for the guy that likes to play with the tech stuff. I'm like that, but I'm pretty sure most guys wouldn't have the patience to get everything to work. Last weekend when I got it started up, I had to basically retrain myself all over again how to get the display on full screen camera. The other big gripe I have is that the internal battery is pretty weak. So you have to basically leave it on the cradle to run it, even at home. So if I want to do anything with it off of the cradle you have to disconnect the modules (with a screwdriver), and just for a short time because the battery isn't going to last very long. They should have a better way to charge the internal battery so that you could really use it like a tablet. :-\

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Marcum can't give their RT-9 stock away it seems, they practically throw in a new car now to entice buyers and I would still avoid it like the pague...  I'm more than happy with my LX-6s with a Dakota Lithium, so light and mobile...the LX-7 would be fine if they fixed the unbalanced case..

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02:24 PM »
The RT 9 was the IT girl ...but then with some false starts ...I lost track of why/when it wasn't available ..by the time it was "introduced" it seemed like some wonky old technology ...not many... if any fishing show/pro staff are seen fishing with the RT 9 ..which makes me suspect ...I don't see rave reviews on IceShanty.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:21 PM »
The RT 9 was the IT girl ...but then with some false starts ...I lost track of why/when it wasn't available ..by the time it was "introduced" it seemed like some wonky old technology ...not many... if any fishing show/pro staff are seen fishing with the RT 9 ..which makes me suspect ...I don't see rave reviews on IceShanty.
My RT9 sits in a closet. My LX9 goes on every trip, along with the Panoptix Livescope.

Offline cbodri01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:12 PM »

So it seems as if you have the most interaction with this unit, I have an lx7 however this weekend took some quite catastrophic damage to the unit in my sled cracked the whole back unit I had to fix up some control panels and tape up the unit to use it on the ice however screen is still intact and works wonderfully. I am planning on probably sending it to marcum for their repair fee but was also thinking I’ve getting the rt9 and using it and saving the lx7 as back up or for buddies if they needed one. Was planning on mounting rt9 to the side by side on way out on ice to spots as well as just fishing. I couldn’t be any happier with the function of the reading on the lx7 does the rt9 have the same functions/transducer reading functions and timing when fishing?  Found what I think may be a deal for rt9 just with ducer pro pack and navionics + chip for 650$ and its hard for me to decide if that’s a good deal.... Any input would be great. Thanks guys

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:50 PM »
So it seems as if you have the most interaction with this unit, I have an lx7 however this weekend took some quite catastrophic damage to the unit in my sled cracked the whole back unit I had to fix up some control panels and tape up the unit to use it on the ice however screen is still intact and works wonderfully. I am planning on probably sending it to marcum for their repair fee but was also thinking I’ve getting the rt9 and using it and saving the lx7 as back up or for buddies if they needed one. Was planning on mounting rt9 to the side by side on way out on ice to spots as well as just fishing. I couldn’t be any happier with the function of the reading on the lx7 does the rt9 have the same functions/transducer reading functions and timing when fishing?  Found what I think may be a deal for rt9 just with ducer pro pack and navionics + chip for 650$ and its hard for me to decide if that’s a good deal.... Any input would be great. Thanks guys
I think it will work fine, I think the way the unit uses power is a huge deal. It's main power source is it's little internal battery, which doesn't last very long. So then you have to use the dock so that it can run from a larger 12 volt battery, (I use a lithium 9ah). I really don't like the design on the dock either. I've never really used it for the chartplotter, like I said the need for figuring out a mount for the 4 wheeler kind of lead me to using my phone with the Navionics app, which I really like. If it's used as a portable camera/chartplotter/ flasher/graph, in the bag I think it's fine. There are a few things about the camera and the way it records that I don't really like, but that's just me and my own personal preference. The nice thing about the RT9 is that you can kind of set up multiple combinations to display and overlay at the same time. It can be a little bit tricky learning how to adjust everything to your preferences. If I had to do it again, I would get another LX9, instead of the RT9. The processor in the RT9 is nothing like your ipad or even phone, so if you're looking to use it like that, you'll be banging your head against the wall. I gave my LX9 to my brother, so I'm going to dig my RT9 back out of the closet, get it charged back up, and forget about recording any underwater footage, and just use it. Let me know if there's anything more I can help with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.