Author Topic: marmooska jigs  (Read 10954 times)

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
marmooska jigs
« on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:56 PM »
  i've heard a lot about these on here.  what size do you guys use for gills and crappies.  what colors and style.  would like to make a purchase online for some since my local store don't carry them.  whats the best place to order these from. last question-  what makes these so good?

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

crowkiller

Re: marmooska jigs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:03 PM »
  i've heard a lot about these on here.  what size do you guys use for gills and crappies.  what colors and style.  would like to make a purchase online for some since my local store don't carry them.  whats the best place to order these from. last question-  what makes these so good?
i dont like them personaly but this is were i get most of my jigs  http://www.jamminjigs.com/  check out the grab bag you cant go wrong

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:04 PM »
 why don't you like them crow.  would like to here both sides before i go spending any money.

MIRC

crowkiller

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:08 PM »
i just prefer differant style jigs and they have produced some very nice fish for me, i have used them but i have some others that are my favorites , i guess i cant say i dont like them i just dont use them very often

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I like them because they are heavy for their size and they show up well on the vex.  I use mostly use sizes 8 and ten for gills.  I have used down to 16 when the fish are pressured or finicky.  They also have a cool action if you can get the jigging right -- sort of like a rocker jig.  I don't put a ton of stock on color most days, but they do seem to like the brown and blue ones on my waters.

Thorne Bros have never done me wrong, though you can only buy per card from them.

Tight lines! :tipup:
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

crowkiller

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:12 PM »
here is a plce to order some other stuff  http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/ and you seen the other one   http://www.jamminjigs.com/

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:19 PM »
 thanks crow

MIRC

crowkiller

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2006, 02:32 PM »
yup and i have ordered from both places and i am very pleased with jammin jigs and petersons is good to

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Instead of the marmooska's you should try the Wolfram jigs.  They look like the marmooskas but fish much heavier as they are made from tungsten.  A little pricier than the marmooskas, but well worth it.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2006, 07:48 PM »
No wonder the Sweds, Fins and Russkies keep kicken
the US and Canadas butts at the world chamionships,
we keep spelling it wrong!!!

www.mormyshka.com/default.aspx

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I love these jigs.  They are killer for gills, crappie's and perch.  I prefer size 14, but sometimes use size 12 and size 16 if they are finicky that day.  I have alot of luck with chartreuse and orange in all the waters I use them in.  And like was said they show up good on a vex as well.  

I also use them for spring time crappie fishing under a slip bob with a fathead.

FISH ON!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2006, 06:55 AM »
No wonder the Sweds, Fins and Russkies keep kicken
the US and Canadas butts at the world chamionships,
we keep spelling it wrong!!!

www.mormyshka.com/default.aspx

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle:
The Canadians used pure gold and silver jigs at the World Championships in 2004 similar in shape to the ones you posted. The USA was not there so no butt to kick. No world championships in 2005 or 2006 >:(
The "marmooska" jigs by HT Enterprises shouldn't be confused with the "mormyshka" jigs from European areas. I have used both and its like night and day ;D Lost 10,000$$$ at a derby when the hook pulled out straight on a Marmooska (HT Enterprises) jig on a big bottom fish after playing it for a long time :'( . Thats all I got to say about those jigs. But when you say Mormyshka then that is a whole new tough hook ball game.
I have never seen a crappie or gill on ice or water for that matter. Don't have them here. So can't help you with that species ;D

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Terrys a horser.  :P

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:45 AM »
Terrys a horser.
    Grump 

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:01 AM »
More evidence.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2006, 10:17 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
good toons

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I purchased my marmooskas from National Sports Supply they had a great selection and at the time a sweet price and you coul mix and match too which was nice.  Been a few years since I dealt with them but he always through in a couple extras when ordering. As far as hooks go I have never had a problem straightening or breaking those hooks on my marmooskas but I have broken plenty on some of the system tackle jigs. My favorite colors are pink and white and chartreuse green glow, I'll always remember that 22" walleye I caught in 28' of water on 2lb. test and a #12 marmooska after a great day of perch fishing.
Tim Rogers

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:33 PM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle:
The Canadians used pure gold and silver jigs at the World Championships in 2004 similar in shape to the ones you posted. The USA was not there so no butt to kick. No world championships in 2005 or 2006 >:(
The "marmooska" jigs by HT Enterprises shouldn't be confused with the "mormyshka" jigs from European areas. I have used both and its like night and day ;D Lost 10,000$$$ at a derby when the hook pulled out straight on a Marmooska (HT Enterprises) jig on a big bottom fish after playing it for a long time :'( . Thats all I got to say about those jigs. But when you say Mormyshka then that is a whole new tough hook ball game.
I have never seen a crappie or gill on ice or water for that matter. Don't have them here. So can't help you with that species ;D

Thx for thr info Ter.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Petersons-outdoors.com is a good place to buy marmooskas.  Terry be more careful, ya horser.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Yeah with all the horseing I was doing, its real funny that the 3lb line didn't break before the hook bent straight out heh :blink: :wacko: :wacko:
Don't get me wrong ..... I love the Mormyshka jigs :thumbsup:

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Marmooska have always been my go to jig. Late last season I ordered a couple Marmish rods after reading TGF's testimonial. They came with a few free jigs. Really like both the rods and the jigs. I found I was ignoring the Marmooskas and using the marmish jigs. Definitely have to get more for this season.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Im a Marmish guy myself, TGF got me hooked a couple seasons back and I order a wack each year...I think I should be on their chirstmas card list

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:31 PM »
marmooskas work good for me when the fish are finicky. sometimes that's all they will bite on.
i got mine at sportsman's warehouse. no idea where to get them online  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.