Author Topic: Jigging with artificials  (Read 2795 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging with artificials
« on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I have always jigged with a jig and tipped with some type of live bait. However, sometimes its not always easy to go grab bait when you only have a few hour window to fish. Have people had luck with say a trout or crappie magnet? What artificials do most people use?

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging with artificials
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:21 AM »
A lot of people use plastics from Custom Jigs and Spins, Northland, Little Atom, Maki, etc. Whatever has thin tails to generate nice movement underwater works, obviously you will need to select based on where you are fishing and the species you are targeting.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I have had great luck with Chubby Darters, with out bait... I fish mostly for predators, but still get some very nice sunfish, crappies and perch on them...

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Contraband baits, maki, j&s all make great plastics for ice fishing. Grab a bunch and let the fish tell you what they want. Ive gone pretty much 98% all plastics. Last year I think I used live bait twice. Once you get hooked on them its hard to switch back!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2014, 01:39 PM »
No bait on my plastics. Once you develop confidence in plastic. Your trips to the bait store will become less and less frequent.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:00 PM »
"I have always jigged with a jig and tipped with some type of live bait." - Yup me too, until I went to plastics. I also use a product from Pro Cure Bait Scents, They have species specific scents. (look at there "super gels" - not the oil) Using the scents has doubled or tripled my hook-ups !

http://pro-cure.com/store/target-species/freshwater-species.html

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I've been using scents with good results for several years now. Used to use them on lures and baits but when I started fishing plastics it was a fairly logical step. Definitely makes a difference.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:14 AM »
As far as trout magnets go yes they work well. I use only plastics now they are what I started with I like to cut them down to just one tail and a single body segment.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:05 PM »
In the last year the trout magnet has been my number 1 producing soft plastic both in hardwater and softwater seasons.  they definately have worked well for me on gills, perch and crappie.  Found the crappie magnets were just too big and the fish weren't really interested in them in the hardwater season.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:11 PM »
No bait on my plastics. Once you develop confidence in plastic. Your trips to the bait store will become less and less frequent.
Also think it makes the offering to large unless they're in a short term feeding franzy

Kyle_J

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I mainly use whips.

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Been outfishing my buddies all year, they have been using spikes and waxies.. I have been wackin' em with a Warpath Tackle Itchy Bug & Maki Jamei. Puttin' 3 or 4 on the ice to their 1
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Offline Drifter315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:10 PM »
I say go pick up sum clam maki you'll like it
The tug is the drug !!

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:12 PM »
maki is a good bait, seems to be to big for when they are a little skittish, I have caught more fish on the Jamei than any other bait this year. tip it with a spike if needed.
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2015, 11:34 PM »
i really like the bro's bloodworm. it hasn't failed me yet for crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.