Author Topic: *sigh* A rookie has a question : )  (Read 5469 times)

Ralphus

*sigh* A rookie has a question : )
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I've scoured the site pretty well, as i don't want to be redundant.  This will be my 1st year ice-fishing and need to know how to hook up jigs (a link to an article with pictures maybe?)  Case in point...I buy some nice jigs all proud of myself and lo and behold the place where I usually thread my line looks to be painted over.  I check out another one...same thing.  There all like that.  I figure I'm off base and realize that I know even less than I thought.  I guess there's another way of tying them...and these funny looking bobbers that look more like tiny totum poles.  As anyone can clearly see, I'm unwillingly very ignoarant and would covet any help I can get.  Again, an explaination may not be of much help as I need to start from the beginning : )))
thanks a ton
-Ralphie the Rookie ???

Offline Chancer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: *sigh* A rookie has a question : )
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:28 PM »
I've scoured the site pretty well, as i don't want to be redundant.  This will be my 1st year ice-fishing and need to know how to hook up jigs (a link to an article with pictures maybe?)  Case in point...I buy some nice jigs all proud of myself and lo and behold the place where I usually thread my line looks to be painted over.  I check out another one...same thing.  There all like that.  I figure I'm off base and realize that I know even less than I thought.  I guess there's another way of tying them...and these funny looking bobbers that look more like tiny totum poles.  As anyone can clearly see, I'm unwillingly very ignoarant and would covet any help I can get.  Again, an explaination may not be of much help as I need to start from the beginning : )))
thanks a ton
-Ralphie the Rookie ??? There is a tool for removing the paint from the eyes of the jig heads its called  "eye buster" I think ? very handy tool sorry i cannot get you to a link with pictures but a trip to the bait shop should get you the tool when you see it you will know what to do with it LOL

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:37 PM »
just use the hook of another jig to push some of the paint out.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Ralphus

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2005, 06:01 PM »
ok...maybe not as off-target as I thought.  Its just that each and every jig I bought was the same thing, and I never experienced this with other lures...prolly cause they weren't painted...duh :'(.  There's still much I need to know, but this helps.  Reminds me of the time I went to Pep Boys and asked where they keep their headlight fluid.
thanks

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Ralphie - You can buy a tool at most good sporting goods stores to remove the paint from the eye.  I believe they're called a "jig eye buster" or something like that.  Cleaning it out with the point of another hook will work too, but the buster works better and will only run you a buck or two.  As far as the bobbers go, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  Personally, I'd throw them away and start doing a bit of research on spring bobbers - much better option than any float made.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:48 PM »
Ralphie - You can buy a tool at most good sporting goods stores to remove the paint from the eye.  I believe they're called a "jig eye buster" or something like that.  Cleaning it out with the point of another hook will work too, but the buster works better and will only run you a buck or two.  As far as the bobbers go, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.  Personally, I'd throw them away and start doing a bit of research on spring bobbers - much better option than any float made.

kc17

Spring bobbers are fine, but I have seen some people do VERY well with floating bobbers.
For one thing you can twirl and shake the bobber suspended out of the water to kind of tease the fish in 3D.
They can also fish at the same depth over and over consistantly once marked, and really are very sensitive.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:32 PM »
I like the caty jigs because the eyes are all clean...http://catyjigs.com/
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Carry a safety pin stuck in your jacket.  Pops the paint out of the eyes every time.
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Carry a safety pin stuck in your jacket.  Pops the paint out of the eyes every time.
gotta agree. i have the jig eye buster too, which works great, but is sometimes in the boat, other tackle box, other coat pocket, etc. a saftey pin in your coat and 1 in your hat and you won't often be using another jig to get the paint out of your jig eye. but sooner or later it will happen. good luck and be safe and happy new year.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2005, 08:06 PM »
use your teeth, works every time...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline swenscas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:29 PM »

Spring bobbers are fine, but I have seen some people do VERY well with floating bobbers.
For one thing you can twirl and shake the bobber suspended out of the water to kind of tease the fish in 3D.
They can also fish at the same depth over and over consistantly once marked, and really are very sensitive.

So would it be redundant to use both a spring bobber and a floating (todum pole) bobber

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:04 AM »
use your teeth, works every time...
yummy,
I'll stick to my eye buster, thanks.  ;D

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:16 AM »
So would it be redundent to use both a spring bobber and a floating (todum pole) bobber

Ummmm....yes I would think it would be redundant to use a bobber  while useing a bobber, I would think you would be using two bobbers, I would think. 

Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you use a floating bobber, the spring bobber would just be there, not bobbing because the regular bobber would be doing it all, and damping the tug on the line. 

FISH ON!!!!(can't wait to yell that!!!)
I love a flag!!!!

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:04 AM »
I believe he's talking about ice buster bobbers? 

I use old hooks, or cruddy jigs I've dropped back in the box to open the eyes on a hook. 

Do you not openwater fish Ralph?  Almost every jig I buy (Northland) for walleye fishing is painted over.  Just a step in the game.
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Does the bobber look like this?

If so it is an ice buster bobber which are very popular on some other forums but people here tend to prefer a spring bobber.  Check out this like to learn how to use them:

http://todaystackle.com/ice-buster-bobber.html

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Jig eye buster:
http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/JigEyeBuster.htm

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=29673&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I have a couple in each tackle box but I just keep using whatever larg hook is handy.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:55 AM »
 This year in the ice fishing magazines there is advertised an adaptor for using any bobber that you choose and still being able to reel the line in and not need to hand over hand to retrieve.
 The sad thing about this is that I had the idea 5-6 years ago .If only I had a patent.....well thats another of life's stories.
 Here is how it works.Go to Radio Shack and buy a couple of the tiniest alligator clips that they sell.Attach a short mono dropper with a loop on the end to the clip.
 For spring hook type bobbers use the loop to engage the spring and for the ones that have a hole to run the line thru ,I use a small snap and swivel on the end of the dropper to attach to the hole.
 You let your line to the depth that you want to fish and lightly clip to the line just below the water line.
 When you get a fish on, just reel in until the clip hits the end of the pole which will pop it off of the line and finish fighting the fish.
 To be able to return to the same depth I use one of the tiny rubber bead style bobber stops threaded on the line as a reference. The bead easily passes thru the guides with out any problem.

If you need further explanation drop me a post.
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:27 PM »
Great idea Winchester 88.    It may be hard to find enough different sizes of other types of bobbers to get the correct boyancy for all of your lures though.  You want it so the bobber just barely holds the lure up.  Any more and the fish may feel resistance and drop the lure.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.