Author Topic: Fighting fish on the Marmish rod  (Read 4846 times)

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fighting fish on the Marmish rod
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I have been looking at the Marmish Rod website and think I might try one for the fun of it.
 Some I/S guys have said that you use them and I would like to know what is the smallest line weight that  you use and how do you go about landing fish without cranking or "wenching them in" as the advertisement advises you not to do?
 Thanks for any help...
 Dickie
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Fighting fish on the Marmish rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:34 PM »

The lightest I went to was 2lb. You can play a fish off of the reel ( cranking and gently squeezing for drag ) but it's just as easy to hand over hand it in ..... like landing a fish on a tip-up.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:04 PM »
I have worked extensively with Marmish and find them great rods for ice fishing in that I can get lure actions that no other rod will create. Not to mention that they're easy to pack and carry!  And yes, there is a proper way to use them.  I will explain the way that was taught to me, face to face, by the company owner.  Basically what you do, when you sense a strike is to drop your wrist, then lift up with your elbow.  This allows you to set the hook and bring up the fish with all the stress/tension on the line.  The rod is not designed to fight a fish like a "normal" fishing rod does.  You then hand-over-hand the line like a tip up.  It takes awhile to get used to, but once you do get the hang of it, you'll love it.  As for line weight to use on them, I've used everything from 1# test to 4# test.  I usually fish panfish, so that's what I like.  Some are afraid to use 1# test, but I've caught everything from small gills to 1# + perch and bass on it.  You just have to be careful!  Hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, feel free to message me.  Good luck!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:27 AM »
You are correct when setting the hook nozzlejockey however each species of fish will bite a little differently. You have to learn the amount of time to delay the setting of the hook, which will come with practice. The owners both fish the rod a little differently in the way they hold it.
Nice to see their website is back up and working. Great rods for sure. I also don't go lighter than 2# but I don't fish for panfish. Mine came supplied with a line 3# from Europe. I will probably use 6# if I'm after big pike. But I like the way the lure moves with lighter line.
Yes you definately don't want to winch them in, you play the fish by pulling line by hand. If a fish runs you let the line slip back out your fingertips. If it takes more line than you have been playing with your hands then pick up the reel and "brake" him gently a bit till he stops then hand line in again.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:03 AM »
TGF,
  You guys from the great white north got all the cool gear eh.  Too bad you don't
have the monster panfish we do here in southern Michigan to use them ultra lites on.
Marmish poles and lures look great but most of my tiny poles end up getting sucked
down the hole cause you just can't hold them in your hand all day.  I've always
hand lined fish.  I like short Schooley poles rigged with wire spring bobbers with
the beads on them.  I find the spring type or neoprene strike indicators bounce too
much in the wind.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2006, 04:31 PM »
Well, I made this my first purchase of the year for 06-07 ice fishing.  I will give the Marmish rod a try and get back to you all. 

The model I bought says that it is floating, so even a catastrophe-creator like myself shouldn't worry too much about dropping it down the hole.  I plan on spooling it with two-pound test and using it for perch fishing this winter.  I think it looks like a toy, but I kicked soooo much butt with a spring bobber last year, that something like this should be just as effective.  I like to fish light, especially when cold fronts mess stuff up.  This should be the ticket. 

Our small sloughs and local river are starting to ice up...we might be out there at Thanksgiving!!!
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.