The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Nelson Pond  (Read 1937 times)

Offline fishingbub6

• IceShanty Rookie
Nelson Pond
« on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Has anyone checked out or been out on Nelson pond this year? Wondering how much ice and how the bite is.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nelson Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Has anyone checked out or been out on Nelson pond this year? Wondering how much ice and how the bite is.

Plenty of ice, just avoid the open area where the stream comes in near the launch. I was told a truck went in Saturday. I was there Sunday for about 3.5 hours, and hardly marked fish on my finder. Caught one dink perch. Sounded like others didn't have much more luck.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:39 AM »
No trucks went in. I was there all weekend. There were some guys in trucks and snow mobiles that were lucky they didnt go in by the inlet. They were blowing donuts at night and in the morning the tracks were within 5-10ft of open water. Very slow fishing from everyone I talked to (which was everyone who was out there basically) Saw one decent laker, but otherwise most people were skunked or catching pickerel.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:01 AM »
No trucks went in. I was there all weekend. There were some guys in trucks and snow mobiles that were lucky they didnt go in by the inlet. They were blowing donuts at night and in the morning the tracks were within 5-10ft of open water. Very slow fishing from everyone I talked to (which was everyone who was out there basically) Saw one decent laker, but otherwise most people were skunked or catching pickerel.

I'll have to give that 10 year old a talking to about lying to his elders  ;)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:19 PM »

Who's donuts?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:17 PM »
There's only 6" of ice on nelson...
FLAG!!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:02 PM »
There was way more than 6 inches. It was closer to 14 inches in all the holes that i drilled and I spent the weekend there in my shanty and there were trucks and cars driving all over. But the ice thickness dont matter as the fish were not biting.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:30 PM »
There was way more than 6 inches. It was closer to 14 inches in all the holes that i drilled and I spent the weekend there in my shanty and there were trucks and cars driving all over. But the ice thickness dont matter as the fish were not biting.

Agreed. I never drilled less than 12"

Offline LimpFin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • May your flag never be at half staff
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2018, 01:19 PM »
There is plenty of ice. I drilled what the others are saying 12 to 14inches. I was Saturday and caught a 16 inch fat Rainbow and lost something that kept crushing my bait. And to the bonehead(s) in the truck - next time stay home!!

Offline Laketrout86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:18 AM »
14" of ice, got 5 trout, biggest was 10-12lbs

Offline Laketrout86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:20 AM »

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:22 AM »
14" of ice, got 5 trout, biggest was 10-12lbs

Nice looking trout! I've yet to land one there.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Who's donuts?

;D

Wells at least blowing a donut is better than eating those detergent pods or whatever they are. Personally I prefer to eat my donuts.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Nice one! You get a length on the big one?

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:48 AM »
There is plenty of ice. I drilled what the others are saying 12 to 14inches. I was Saturday and caught a 16 inch fat Rainbow and lost something that kept crushing my bait. And to the bonehead(s) in the truck - next time stay home!!

I agree with that. I am all for a good party on the ice when it doesnt impact others (the night before opening, any night when there is noone else out to get bothered) but if there is a lake full of people and a pond as small as nelson def not ok to be ripping sleds and trucks and atvs all through the lake.

Offline Laketrout86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:12 PM »
30" on the biggest

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.