The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: $100,000 PIKE !!!! FFAC DERBY  (Read 2193 times)

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
$100,000 PIKE !!!! FFAC DERBY
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:57 PM »

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
Re: $100,000 PIKE !!!! FFAC DERBY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:00 AM »
100,000 ...wow for a Pike .. Where do i sign up ??LOL
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Has to be a state record

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Maine has great pike fishing...but Statewide Tournament with only ONE weigh-in station?  Still might be a. Fun and profitable day!  Thanks for posting.

Offline perchslammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:13 PM »
one day state wide??????That makes it tough

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Whats the state record now ?

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Whats the state record now ?

Pike record is 31# 2 oz

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:18 PM »
This post deserves a bump..maybe the mod could even make it sticky!

This is a big deal up in Maine, and regardless of what you win(or don't win) The cause speaks for itself!!!

Lots of good pike waters up there...and Maine folk hate northerns and want to see em all dead..sure you could tease some guys on the Maine board for a little tip!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:26 AM »
wow :blink:    :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:15 AM »
This post deserves a bump..maybe the mod could even make it sticky!

This is a big deal up in Maine, and regardless of what you win(or don't win) The cause speaks for itself!!!

Lots of good pike waters up there...and Maine folk hate northerns and want to see em all dead..sure you could tease some guys on the Maine board for a little tip!

VTPIKE.....that's exactly why this should not be bumped to the top over and over again.....I hope our Mod deletes it.  Good cause, yes FFAC is definitely a good cause.....

Pushing their anti-pike agenda is more of what this derby is about.  Plus if you read it they are giving 1 ticket for every dead pike brought in for the raffle.  Not 1 per fisherman or even a max of 5.  This derby is designed to help in the erradication of the pike.  Which Mainers are taking way too far.  Giving sportsmen a bad name for all of us!!!!!!!!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Fun to catch, survive on their own, no stocking, they get really big. in the 30 inch range if you know how to fillet them there is no better tasting fish..... yet people want them exterminated. I guess some people hate them but I spend most of my time looking for them and certainly am hooked on catching them. It's a shame to waste all those pike

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Fun to catch, survive on their own, no stocking, they get really big. in the 30 inch range if you know how to fillet them there is no better tasting fish..... yet people want them exterminated. I guess some people hate them but I spend most of my time looking for them and certainly am hooked on catching them. It's a shame to waste all those pike

Exactly what i am saying CJ!!!!!!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Exactly what i am saying CJ!!!!!!
If only more shared our opinion!

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I don't truly like any derby and what it does for the fish in any body of water...but I happen to like competition and the cause it supports...

Chunkers Go fight the meifw!!!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:15 PM »
The State of Maine requests as follows: "Anglers are strongly encouraged to harvest all northern pike and muskellunge and not release them back to the water alive." Northern pike are NOT native to the state, and are an invasive species. They're actually trying to do the RIGHT thing!  :tipup:

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:29 PM »
The State of Maine requests as follows: "Anglers are strongly encouraged to harvest all northern pike and muskellunge and not release them back to the water alive." Northern pike are NOT native to the state, and are an invasive species. They're actually trying to do the RIGHT thing!  :tipup:

Rainbows and browns aren't native either. And lets not forget the splake, which are proven not to occur naturally. Say what you want about apex predators having an effect on a fishery, but ANY new addition to the ecosystem is going to have a negative effect on whats already there. Other trout species may not be eating the numbers of trout that northerns do, but big fish do eat the fry of any species that will fit in their mouth. Also lets not forget competition for spawning habitat as well as shared food sources... Funny how everyone dogs the government out on most issues but when it comes to this one it boils down to "Dump more NON-NATIVE TROUT in our lakes and rivers and let us slaughter another NON-NATIVE species!"
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I think you could find that it has a lot to do with reviving the Atlantic Salmon population. Let Romans be Romans when they're in Rome.   :tipup:

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:48 AM »
God look what I've started I should have kept my mouth shut! LOL ;D

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:49 AM »

It's the way they go about it fishnmachine.  They are proud to display these huge kills shots, the same way our predecessors did when they shot 50 coyotes.  It's about how it portrays all sportsmen.  Killing just to kill is not a good thing and any true sportsman would know that. 

They leave piles of pike on the ice for skiers and lake front owners to stumble on.  They harvest without any real plan.

Your plan can't just be "let's erradicate the pike"

They are there to stay and the state is doing a terrible job of managing a fishery that many other states make a ton of money off. 

Years ago in Maine everyone kept every trout/salmon they caught, now they complain about how their kids don't have much to catch.  Isn't the same thing going to happen with this situation?? 

Maine isn't willing to realize that those days of being a trophy trout and salmon destination are over.  Embrace the new and move on. 

You are saying just because the government tells them to do it they should.

Do you do everything the government tells you to??

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:49 AM »
No vtpike, I should have kept MY mouth shut!!!  :o

woodab17, It's just a fishing derby and benefit 300 miles away that was slammed from post 1. I could post a justified response to every line of your scolding, but I'm going to just walk away and hopefully let this thread die.
I do however obey the laws of my government and the government of whatever land I may visit, and my loyalties to such should never be questioned on a silly ice fishing website.   :tipup:

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:39 AM »
No vtpike, I should have kept MY mouth shut!!!  :o

woodab17, It's just a fishing derby and benefit 300 miles away that was slammed from post 1. I could post a justified response to every line of your scolding, but I'm going to just walk away and hopefully let this thread die.
I do however obey the laws of my government and the government of whatever land I may visit, and my loyalties to such should never be questioned on a silly ice fishing website.   :tipup:

I don't know how you could justify leaving piles of fish on the ice but some things I will never understand.

I never tried to question your loyalties to country. 

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:42 AM »
fishnmachine,
                     I should have told you also the reason I am very passionate about this issue is because I lived in Maine for 5 years after college and saw this taking place.  I whole-heartedly disagree with what they are doing there and have been fighting this battle since the beginning.

I still go up every year at least for 1 weekend to fish there.

I love fishing for Northern Pike and hate seeing a fish treated the way it is in Maine.  They yell about it not being native but make no complaints about Brown Trout or Splake or Crappie. 

Sorry to get so heated.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I do find it kind of interesting that people of the same general background and upbringing (and friends) can have such diffreing views.

Kind of like politics..etc...guess thats what makes iceshanty fun.

-I don't condone leaving the northerns on the ice...utilize what you take..I would(but also promise they would go back down the hole up there)
-I for one don't agree that the glory days of the cold water fisheries in Maine are over..come to Jonesport with me for a few days..I'll turn you into a beliver!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.