Author Topic: Shanty Build Ideas  (Read 1304 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shanty Build Ideas
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:25 AM »
I am in the midst of thinking about building a new shanty. I use my shanty as a portable towing it out and back in after each trip. I like to get on the ice early so weight is a factor and it would be towed by my ATV until there is enough ice for the truck. I currently have a 8x8 shack on a snowmobile trailer/ utility trailer. The frame of the trailer is shot and this will be its last season if it even makes it that far (it is ROTTED BAD). So since this shack has always felt a little small once I get everything in it and have some buddies there, I want to start planning a spring/summer build for a new one. Soooo the routes I could go are:

1. Buy a cheap V nose enclosed trailer and finish it for fishing
2. Buy a junk camper and strip it
3. Buy a flat deck trailer and build on it
4. Build a custom trailer and build on it

From some research I could get on ebay a 7X14 V trailer for 3k but I would need to travel a ways to get it, local they are closer to 4500, I can buy a 12X8 flat deck alum trailer new local for 1500, campers seem to start at 500 and go up but the used factor scares me in terms of longevity, and the process of gutting it isnt all that appealing, I have friends with the skills to build a trailer, but if I wanted to go with aluminum to stop from rusting I would need to buy a welder for that.

Is there a major benefit to any of these options? I am leaning towards either buying a flat deck, or building one, but am not sure I could build a frame with all the parts for less that, I also have no idea what thickness and type of material would be best suited if I built my own. So I am looking for some advice, so I can start to gather materials.

Thanks in advance.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shanty Build Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:14 PM »
If you are willing to put the time and effort into starting from scratch on a flat-deck i would suggest getting yourself a pre-fabbed drop down frame.   My next build will be on a drop down frame.  It's a little more money up front but much more happiness for years to come.  Being closer to the ice just makes everything more enjoyable.  Easier to seal out the cold air from coming up through the holes.  I think its warmer when you have the outside sealed over just having the holes sealed.  You don't have to stick your arm down 12" just to get to the water.  etc. etc.

Offline JTank

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shanty Build Ideas
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I would go with a flat bed and build. If you build your own, it is very costly if you do aluminum. Buying for 1500 and converting is what I would do if i did it again. I built my own drop down trailer out of steel and it took alot of time and money. Yes it is satisfying, but its not cheaper by any means.

Heres a link to the one I built.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334200.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.