Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: got wet for the first time  (Read 2459 times)

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
got wet for the first time
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 03:53 PM »
went out sat to Ellis boat harbor in Cedar Rapids. stepped off the wall where a few others had been and BOOM! no warning! I was in with 1 leg up to my crotch, the other leg was on solid but got it in over my boot, and 1 arm up to my elbow. water depth here is about 12 ft. damn lucky I didn't go all the way through.  Air temp -3 Ice was 5-7 IN. EXCEPT IN THAT ONE SPOT!!
Be safe out there! Bad things happen before you know it!

Offline bogey

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: got wet for the first time
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:20 PM »
You’re lucky man!!! I’m sure that was cold. Everyone be careful out there.

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:49 AM »
Phil, the ice from the power lines toward the North formed just before we got the snow. It was being kept open by the wind and the geese.

The best investment for your future fishing in the cold water months is a float suit. If you have one on and go all the way in you wont go under and would be able to get out on your own.  I've had the Arctic Armor Suit in camo for about 10 year's now and sit out on a bucket in this cold with no problem's. You can find them for around 350.00 online and I think dick's sporting sells them. Might be a lot of money but what is it worth being able to go fish again and go home.  It went threw 3 time's before I got the suit. I looked at it on how dumb I was being, I would spend 100.00's fishing gear but not on my own life. Sorry for the preach but please look into a float suit.

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Lebruce, Ive never even thought about a float suit. ill look into it.
The thing that really surprised me was I went in where several people had already cone onto the ice.

Lets get together and wet a line this winter!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Defiantly check out the striker, I think there are more of those out there than any brand !!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Defiantly check out the striker, I think there are more of those out there than any brand !!

I have both Striker and Arctic Armor suits and my Striker suit is the best ! Unbelievable
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Thank God on that one.  12' from the start point is pretty deep.  I'm on several forums including Minnesota's and Striker sounds like the number one for heat and floatation equipment.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Throw in a few dollars more and get a spud bar, if you don't already have one. Then use it.

Mine saved me a couple of cold baths in southern Minnesota before New Year's.  ;)
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Phil, the ice from the power lines toward the North formed just before we got the snow. It was being kept open by the wind and the geese.

The best investment for your future fishing in the cold water months is a float suit. If you have one on and go all the way in you wont go under and would be able to get out on your own.  I've had the Arctic Armor Suit in camo for about 10 year's now and sit out on a bucket in this cold with no problem's. You can find them for around 350.00 online and I think dick's sporting sells them. Might be a lot of money but what is it worth being able to go fish again and go home.  It went threw 3 time's before I got the suit. I looked at it on how dumb I was being, I would spend 100.00's fishing gear but not on my own life. Sorry for the preach but please look into a float suit.

Solid! Nice perspective and advice.

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 04:17 AM »
Lebruce, Ive never even thought about a float suit. ill look into it.
The thing that really surprised me was I went in where several people had already cone onto the ice.

Lets get together and wet a line this winter!!

Phil, I'm always on the ice somewhere in Iowa but mostly local to CR if I'm not at work . If you see a little blue Saturn 4 door car or a red S10 ZR2 with a topper, that will be me on the ice with a black sled,blue bucket and a camo float suit on. You're more then welcome to come on the ice a fish with me.
I almost forgot to say, I don't know your size, but I do have a older Sundridge float suit that's just sitting around.  I do believe it's a x large and you can use it if you want to. It's not as good as the others talked about but you'll float and be able to get out if you go threw. I stand 6 foot tall and it fits fine.  Just let me know.

Lee

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.