Author Topic: how blues react?  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
how blues react?
« on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:13 PM »
dO BLUEGILLS BITE WHEN THE BAIT IS AT REST OF IN MOTION?

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: how blues react?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2005, 08:32 PM »
Well usually yes, like if your jigging, and then stop, they will usually bite, and I'm sure they will bite on a little jig with a spike or mousie on it if its just suspending there, but jigging would be more effective.

Offline Part_Time_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:27 AM »
I've had gills hit both ways. But mostly just after you stop jigging.

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:53 AM »
the gills will let you know what action they want. biting gills will hit just about any color but when they get finicky. color and presentation is more critical.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:31 PM »
Constant jigging will usually outproduce a stationary presentation but sometimes
you need to mix it up.  Other days they won't touch a moving bait and you have to leave your poles alone in order to get any action.  It's the same with colors and bait
it changes from day to day.  That's why they are fun to figure out.  We need to
keep trying new things to find out what is working that day on that lake.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2005, 03:45 PM »
yes...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2005, 04:07 PM »
The constant jigging is to call the fish in from further away. Sweedish pimples and nicely painted jigs preoduce really well.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Usually yes, but as stated before it depends. Have had many days, using 2 poles fairley close to each other, where the dinks will nail the mover but the studs hit the one that hasn't even been twitched in awhile. Mix and match, if the fish are there then there is a solution to getting them to hit. That's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it. :whistle: ;)2

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:59 AM »
This is what makes some of the electronic tools real useful. If they move in and then move away they may be telling you if they want motion or not. On the camera it's obvious (occasionally they are merely swimming by). On the flasher you need to work on it & take note of details like was it moving when they were moving in or not. It could also mean you need a different jig / bait combo. If you don't have the electronics, learn to make friends on the ice (the best part of ice fishing!). People are normally quite willing to hand out the basic info of what color and bait they're using. But if you want a lot of information you better bring jerky or doughnuts or something.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

bubblebass8

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2006, 12:34 PM »

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I think Ted nailed this one to the wall. Its different from day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute, fish to fish. The point is, if your approach isn't working, change your approach. I almost always make it a point to talk to a few guys on the lake before I start fishing. Find a guy with a few fish in front of him on the ice, he'll be easier to talk to than the guy with 30 and have more info than the guy with none.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Both they are curious and hungry little fish. Watched on camera in summertime anything that hits the water they are attracted to :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Experiment and let them tell you how they want it that day.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Another trick I do is when they are a little finicky take the line between your thumb and finger and twist the line back and forth.  It spins the jig rather than the normal jigging action.  You'll be surprised how many will hit after you have been sitting there jigging and all they do is sit there and look.  Usually only have to do it one.  Tight lines and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.