Author Topic: Northern Pike and Bluegills  (Read 5478 times)

Axhandle

Northern Pike and Bluegills
« on: Mar 02, 2004, 08:04 PM »
This is somewhat related to Royalfish and the question of moving.  I've been having decent success with bluegills lately.  For the most part, they're pretty active.  However, I do see a lot of pike cruising under my holes.  Never really thought much about it until Saturday, a pike smoked a gill which was about to hit my buddies jig. Pretty neat to actually see this happen.  I'm told that pike will sometimes "lie still" in 1 location for quite awhile.  After we started paying attention to the obvious, we noticed that whenever a pike came through, the gills disappeared for 15 to 20 minutes.  Would it make sense to move to a hole 20 or 30 yards away whenever a pike is in the area? 

Axhandle

Re: Northern Pike and Bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Certain lakes in Iowa have a walleye and northern season.  As of now, the season is closed.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2004, 12:01 AM »
  Would it make sense to move to a hole 20 or 30 yards away whenever a pike is in the area? 

I think it would probably make a big difference. That sure is cool to see a fish eat another fish though!!! Reminds me when I was little when I used live bluegills for largemouth bass.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

aquafang

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:07 PM »
Yea, I have to laugh at these fish shaped underwater cameras.  this is the dumbest idea ever unless you are trying to attract pike!  Though this may not scare the fish, it will attract pike.  If I am fishing for panfish this is a very stupid tool to have.  And besides, I have not ever seen any hint that the camera spooks fish of any kind.  in fact, sometimes they will swim right up to it to check it out.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Yea, I have to laugh at these fish shaped underwater cameras.  this is the dumbest idea ever unless you are trying to attract pike!  Though this may not scare the fish, it will attract pike.  If I am fishing for panfish this is a very stupid tool to have.  And besides, I have not ever seen any hint that the camera spooks fish of any kind.  in fact, sometimes they will swim right up to it to check it out.

I don't have any experience with underwater cameras but I doubt the camera would spook fish. Fish are very curious creatures and sometimes they show that by biting something that doesnt even look like food because they do it out of curiosity. I guess that's why bluegills like golden bare hooks sometimes.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline RM fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Here in the southern tier of ny my friends and I have noticed that the smaller lakes that we fish that have pike and pickerel, the pan fish tend to shut off when the predators go on the feed. They are fun to catch on the ultralight panfish gear as long as you get your drag loose quick enough. I usually try to filet one or two big ones every winter cause they do taste good. Still have trouble with the "y" bones.

bigdave1018

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:24 PM »
my buddy caught a big pike that had a buldge in its side like a lump. we filleted it shortly after and found a 9 in gill still fresh and lively but stunned in its belly. this pike also ate a huge sucker that he was using for bait. yes they can and are eating machines!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Axhandle,

I will answer your question directly and give a bunch or unrelated information.  I notice slow periods when panfishing and I attribute these to predators in the area,  I have always sat still and waited them out.  I would say to drill some outer ring holes for situations when the toothy critters show.  Try it out,  it can't hurt and you can post your findings here for all to read and learn from.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2004, 10:01 PM »
ive been summer fishing many times when a northern will actally will grab a blue gilll while im realing it in cool too see it come back time and time again

tight lines
CoRy

gill_muncher

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:41 PM »
The first time I saw those underwater cameras with the fish shaped ends I wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of one getting bit off buy a pike.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2005, 08:55 PM »
pike have gone after the old black camera housings so i am sure they would attack the "new improved" fish housings, i think i'll stick to my "old" z 60.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Axhandle

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Reading through some old post looking for some help and came across this.  I'd forgotten about it.  First, there's a lot of talk about underwater cameras.  I've never used one.  We fish pretty clear water - the bottom is very easy to see in 15 to 20 feet of water.  We see a lot of pike.  If they're simply cruising through, I'll stay put.  If they're hanging out in the area, I move.  I've starting drilled 8 or 9 holes before dropping a line. 
This year, fishing has been more like pond jumping mallards.  I've been drilling 15 to 20 holes and fish each hole for 3 to 5 minutes and then move on if I don't see a fish.  I can't find them this year.  The main part of the lake, 3/4 mile away is open.  Will fish migrate towards the open water areas in the winter?  I've tried a lot of things this year, but I'm getting my tail kicked.  I'm catching some fish, but it's been a tough bite and I'm not seeing any numbers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.