Author Topic: spring bobers  (Read 3687 times)

pa ice man

spring bobers
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:25 PM »
I like to use them seam to catch more fish how many use them likes or dis likes :-X

P Gottshall

Re:spring bobers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:45 PM »
I used to use spring-bobbers before I had any electronics.  With my flasher, I use a jigging rod without the spring-bobber.  

Do you use the spring-bobber with a jigging rod?

Paul

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:43 AM »
I use a spring bobbers all the time. Tho have noticed a big difference in types you buy.Some are to stiff.Have been playing around with this tight lining a bit lately.Is a lot of fun but conditions have to be just right for me .I don't have this down to a science yet HA HA. As in anything you have to have your set up match the lure you using,if you change lures a lot the bigger lures might be to heavy for the type of spring on that rod which won't produce for you at its best.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:55 AM »
I use SB's on an 18 inch rod I have just for fun. I like to jig for my panfish without them. Having a really good noodle rod has made it easier to detect bites. ;D I believe a slight bit more of a challenge is also involved. My buddies like to use them when the fish are leary of your bait and finicky. They do pretty well with them. That is why I carry that 1 spring bobber rod with me if all else fails. It is a fun rod to fish.  It was given to me by a friend of mine and when the fish hits you can either reel it up or hand line it up which is kinda fun anyway for a change of pace. They do serve a purpose and add to your arsenal to help you catch more fish though. :'( 8) :'(  

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:56 AM »
I can honestly say that since I have started using them, I have caught more fish.  They are devastating on crappie or very finicky perch.  It allows you to use a more stout rod too.....in case an big boys decide to bite.  I have them on all my rods.....and just don't line through them when I go for large fish like walleye.
      You can make them out of anything, short strips of metal or base guitar strings.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:32 AM »
I like them for finicky fish as well.  I make my own spring bobbers out of small diameter wire that you can buy to make spinners and lures, etc.  Simply bend them into shape, put a loop on the end (I use a wire bender) with a large glow bead on the end.

The rods that I put them on are broken jigging rods.  I use the HT ice blue and a few other similar rods but when they break, I don't throw them away.  If I lose a rod tip on a rod and it's not too much, I simply attach one of my spring bobbers and fix it to the rod with spiderwire and then cover with shrink wrap.  This turns my jigging rod into a great rod for really tiny jigs, like size 16 Marmooska jigs.  About the only time that I don't use them would be on a really windy day when I have to load the rod tip with extra weight.

I use jigging rods without them for the larger lures, like size 8 Fat Boys or large Marmooska jigs, or when fishing attracting spoons or dropper spoons.

You should see Genz Man reelin' them in on that 'lil rod.  The rod is only about 15" and absolutely no backbone at all, and the reel is a little plastic reel.  The combo was designed for hand lining the fish up, but he reels 'em in! ;D  ...and he does real well with it too!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

pa ice man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:43 AM »
thanks  its not just me most times i use one  its a 25 plus fish day :D

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:09 PM »
  I use them all the time. If i use a heavy lure I just shorten the lenth by pulling the spring in a little.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

P Gottshall

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:46 PM »
I have some spring-bobbers on a couple rods that are a small strip of metal that extends past the tip.  I also just picked up some that are a coiled spring.  Which type do you use?

Thx,
Paul

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:35 PM »
I use em on my 12'' mico noodle shack rod, i have to wait about 1 second after movement cause when a slab flares it starts the bobber to move down.
Coooool :'(

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:22 AM »
I feel pretty ignorant asking this, but could someone please post a pic of a spring bobber. Or give a good description of what they are and what there purpose is. Yall have had me swingin on the whole spring bobber thing, ever since last season when they came up. It's been driving me nuts. I hav'nt a clue what they are. Just thought I would ask.

howey

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2003, 10:21 AM »
howey1176: Look in wal-mart or ask your local bait dealer,preferably the bait shop he supplies the bait and can use the sale.A spring bobber is a piece of spring metal of some sort with a eye for your line that extends out beyond your rod tip. It is very hard for a fish to touch your bait and not move the bobber. You'l be able to see strikes that you've never seen before.

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2003, 01:20 PM »
 Longbeard is right about how they will help your fishing. I put one on to try it out and I love it. I know I missed a lot of fish before because I couldn't tell if they were biting or not. But now as soon as that spring starts to pull down,I pull up. I know I've increased my catch already.
TEAM  PA.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:51 AM »
Loo, I never thought of that!   Good point, I'll try it and see (wait a second then set)... Also, for others that have never used them, sometimes crappie adn other panfish will move up to your bait.  If your lure puts any tension at all on the spring, then when the fish pushes the lure up, your line goes slack and your spring goes up!  SET THE HOOK!
Kevin Wilson

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:30 PM »
I like to attach a small piec e of rubber band to my line, just below the water level where i want my jig to be. when a fish hits the jig, be it up or down, the rubber band will move... time to set the hook. Works pretty well for me.
Its Ice Now!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2003, 09:59 PM »
ICE KING you do have a spring bobber on to,right
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:05 PM »
i myself dont use spring bobbers, as i dont feel i need them...seeing as i use ice blue or yad rods, which have a tip action similar to that of a spring bobber, and with the fact the i use an fl-18 and/or an aqua-vu when i am fishing

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:34 PM »
bigredonice your probably right, but theres nothing that compares to a good spring bobber for sencetivity. My self i use a spring from a bic lighter. It's a real hassel to use but it's as sencetive as you can get. Plus i have the vexalar.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:52 PM »
personally... weather its better or not.... i dont want a "hassel" on the ice. i do have one rod with a spring bobber and it is a flat piece of spring steel with a guide on the end. it seems to work pretty good and is not a hassel to use!!!

MElbs      :'(

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2003, 10:53 PM »
Anyone can catch agressive or active fish. Ya know those times when guys all leave the lake cause ''thier not bitting''. Well thats most the time around these parts, and i catch them when there not bitting.
If you really want to see a slick spring bobber you got to see the ones Tony On Ice makes out of hogs hair.Real Cooool :'(

Fat Boy, if your  stuff is as sensitive or limber as mine just let it go down then lift.
I lost, or reacted to fast when i started using all micro stuff and would pull back and nothing was there.I slowed down (on the lift) and caught more ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:50 PM »
Yeah Loo, I have noticed on hook sets, especially for crappies, that a slower lift is better.  It's the wait a second part that I haven't tried.  With gills or perch, you gotta hit them quick or there goes your maggots.  With crappies under the ice, I have to remember the lift part the first few trips of the year because the rest of the year I bass fish...and you know those hook sets and crappie don't mesh.  If I do that on the ice, I either snap that 2 pound line or come back with crappie lips, LOL! ;D

You'll have to come down to Central PA one time even if it's an overnighter.  We have some fun at night fishing for them slabs.  When we are closer to the NY line, I'll give you a holler too.
Kevin Wilson

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2003, 12:48 AM »
sORRY TONY, i wasnt thinking. Anyway there the cats wiskers. hehe
Fat Boy , I'll probablly be fishing PA before here cause of the lack of ice and another crappy weather forcast. I dont know about the delay lift in your parts, but i have to usually work the slow picky slabs and it works on them :)

pa ice man

« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:19 AM »
thx  for the great post my grandson is 4 and hes got spring bober masterd take a kid fishing

Offline IceKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release an a pan full of grease!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:52 AM »
Swalleyj, no i don't use spring bobbers. No need to when you watch the rubber band. it will twitch, go down or up depending on the strike. I find it easier to use than a spring bobber, whic is actually just an extended , extremely sensitive rod tip.
Its Ice Now!

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2003, 06:25 PM »
 The advantage of the sapring bobber is that you can put it on a stiff rod and use it for panfish. Then when you hooh a big fish you've still got enough rod to catch them. I've put some big bass and pike on the ice with this set-up.

pa ice man

« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2004, 07:12 PM »
fishing today i was catching crapys no one else  saw the bite lite up bite

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.