The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Long lake  (Read 1525 times)

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Long lake
« on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Long lake,  any word if they got the ice carousel going?

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Long lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:28 PM »
From What I read they got it to move about 6 feet, but have delayed the world record attempt until mother nature cooperates a little better.  My understanding is they were having a hard time with everything refreezing once they would get it free.  They said they were drilling through 31 inches of ice.  Quite a project they have going on there.  I think they will get it but its going to be a chore.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:50 PM »
warmer weather coming for next weekend,  should be better,  we have ALOT of ice,  glad you did well fishing,  the lake has been good this year,  sucks you blew up your sled though,   they can be expensive toys  :P

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I showed up Saturday and saw that they were trying to auger through the whole diameter and the augers I was looking at weren't gonna cut it. Went to my shack and brought back my model 30 and cut away. After just having replaced the head gasket it would be a good test. Now I can cut overlapping holes all day or at least til my ageing body allows but hitting old holes that were purposely drilled a day or 2 before was occasionally giving me 2 "interrupted cuts", which is more difficult, harder on the body and the drill. I got stuck once then went to find a clean area to drill. People were pulling augers out that looked like the had been run over, the kid said the blade looked new when they showed up. They were 2 on it getting it stuck and ripping it out. I let no one "help" me drill or remove my auger from the hole, nor did I let anyone borrow my auger. 2 guys asked to use it and when I said "use your own" they said "it's broken". I swear one guy sunk his auger a little too much and got the spring froze on the throttle then just threw it in a sled then asks to borrow mine. I went back on Sunday with an old, smaller 9" bit that still cuts well.
Now I'm there as a volunteer of sorts and having some, but limited engineering skills I can tell you that when you put a solid object in back of a prop it doesn't propel well at all. The thought was that the propeller constantly turning would eventually erode a channel through the ice, not my thought but whatever, like I said my engineering skills are limited and I've never seen a boat with a prop that was not deeper than its' draft. I'm not even sure that the outboards they had could have moved it even if the shafts were long enough to get under the ice. But yea there is still 30" of ice. The cold weather didn't help, the saws would freeze up. Suppose to try it again in 3 weeks???
It must be something in the water.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Sadly, I bet they could they could try again in May.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:24 PM »
We did it today! It turned at least 1 full rotation which took about 3 hours. Sounds like numerous people were gonna stay the night to keep it going and through the day tomorrow.
It must be something in the water.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2018, 05:32 PM »
they put a lot of work into getting that thing going.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:31 PM »
time to rig up a couple of sails with the wind . 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2018, 03:13 PM »
at est. 22 million lbs. i dont think wind short of a hurricane would get that to move! im even surprised they got it to move at all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.