New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092007 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Friday + Saturday. Slow, marked tons and threw many different jigs at em but not much action. +3 dink yellows today.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any reports on ice on superior plan on heading up in the morning

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Started off with two nice perch and then nothing but a few slime darts. A fun but chilly day on the ice.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Lots of lookers but no takers for me this evening. My girlfriend got her first fish of the year at least, a tiny yellow perch lol.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
boyd corners reservoir and white pond have safe ice.  got one pumpkinseed in 22 fow at boyds with a few marks but not much interest using a green kastmaster tipped with gulp maggot

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow shout out to the guys fishing greenwood lake yesterday!! Ice was sketchy to say the least! Open water all over the place and honeycombed ice. Was the fishing that good??  I stayed in my truck! Lol

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
Yankee Lake in Sullivan had 8-10in of ice.  Edges were good except for near the inlets.  First time with a flasher and marked 2 fish, both small pickerels.  Great time.  2 other parties I talked to also had a slow sunday. 

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
I’ve been out of town. Any reports on Upton? How’s the ice there?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I haven’t been there lately, but I’m sure it’s good. I went to a pond down in Patterson this weekend, and the only areas to be careful of where the edges. Upton is usually colder so I’m sure it fared better.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boy Tipup28 your sure logging some time on the ice! Good for you :tipup:

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Thanks beechwoods16, I try to get out when I can. Tight lines.  :)

Got a couple yellows this morning before the storm. That slick ice was nice while it lasted, back to slush again lol. Stay warm.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
Very slow bite this morning, lots of lookers but not many takers.  Lost one halfway to the hole

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
UPTON was TERRIBLE a week ago, sorry for late post Canoejon just saw the post. Between all the guys that were on the lake probably 50 tipups and jigging, from 0630 to 1pm NOT ONE FISH!

There was 8" of good ice though. 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I made pickerel fish cakes for the fist time. They where awesome.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
I made pickerel fish cakes for the fist time. They where awesome.

I am thinking of keeping the next nice pickerels I catch.  Did you use one of the fillet methods to get rid of the bones? Or use food processor and grind up to make the cakes?  I've seen some good vids on cleaning boneless but they normally are using bigger pikes. 

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
feed em to your cats

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
YouTube getting the y bones out...delicious fish!
Friends grind and make patties, need to have a very fine grind...

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
YouTube getting the y bones out...delicious fish!
Friends grind and make patties, need to have a very fine grind...

Definitely going to try this

Offline ticklenaked

• IceShanty Rookie
We used to cut them in nugget size chunks and fry. It softens the small bones and makes it easier to pop out larger ones. It's a tasty meat! ... Next time I'm going to try to filet around the y-bone.
YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/2nDnN2

Instagram: https://goo.gl/X1P3F3

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Definitely going to try this

Could also pickle them..the vinegar/brine dissolves the bones ..In-Fisherman has a nice recipe.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I filleted them and got most of the y-bone out. I then coarse ground them with the other ingrediants, added some flour and bead crumbs and there you have it. I ran breads through the grinder to clean and added that too. The one thing I would do differently is squeeze some water out of the potatoes. Next batch will be pickled as I like that as well.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I filleted them and got most of the y-bone out. I then coarse ground them with the other ingrediants, added some flour and bead crumbs and there you have it. I ran breads through the grinder to clean and added that too. The one thing I would do differently is squeeze some water out of the potatoes. Next batch will be pickled as I like that as well.

Some add shrimp to the patties ..or perch and sunfish to sweeten them up
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Chodikee last night + this morning. 9.5"

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
pickerel taste great through the ice...fry up or pickle them!

Offline Need ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello to all.. glad too see some of you guys are finding the fish... I'll looking for updates on highland lake contest for Saturday. I hear it might be cancelled. Does anybody know anything? Thank you.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
HIGHLAND LAKE CONTEST IS A GO!!! SEE YOU THERE...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
Got out on Yankee lake yesterday afternoon, not a soul in sight. Beautiful day out there.  Managed 2 small pickerels and a few missed bites.  Still new with flasher and jigging but learning. 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Got out on Yankee lake yesterday afternoon, not a soul in sight. Beautiful day out there.  Managed 2 small pickerels and a few missed bites.  Still new with flasher and jigging but learning.
Once your used to it you will be able to check your bait on your tip up and know if it is still alive in most cases! good Luck to all those heading out today :tipup:

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Highland lake mahogany ridge contest says on their website it is still a go but they do not want you to bring ATVs as of right now. Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.