Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2015  (Read 69838 times)

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2015
« Reply #360 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:03 PM »
I am going to put this to bed right now.  I am not a derby official or member of the FD.  However, I volunteered to help out with the Facebook page to aid them to spread the word about the derby, get some greater support, and offer marketing advice.  I also participate in the derby.  So, I don't hang around the board all day.  There was no mention in the rules or on the Facebook page that anyone from the derby was obligated to provide updates on the board.  I checked the tickets and there is nothing there about it either.  So, I'm not really sure why some folks chose to get sand in their private parts about it.  Usually the best way to offer a suggestion to improve something is to offer some constructive criticism.  Not complain about it on the derby Facebook page and incite others to follow you or whine on iceshanty. I had suggested to the AVFD that we have someone provide regular updates on the board throughout the derby, if possible.  But due to FD members needed to run the weigh-in/ticket sales, and lack of members with smartphones (yes, hard to believe, but a fact up here in northern NH, not EVERYONE has one), it couldn't get done this time.  So, if anyone has a helpful suggestion to provide to make the Newfound Derby better, please feel free to PM me.  I'd be happy to pass it along.  But if you want make a fool of yourself by spouting off and complaining about something that you feel your entry is entitled to, feel free to do that too.  You only make yourself look like an idiot.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #361 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:28 PM »
 ;D ;D
??? Hmm I wonder people did before social media to find out what's going on in the world ???

Ain't that the truth!

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:43 PM »
I am going to put this to bed right now.  I am not a derby official or member of the FD.  However, I volunteered to help out with the Facebook page to aid them to spread the word about the derby, get some greater support, and offer marketing advice.  I also participate in the derby.  So, I don't hang around the board all day.  There was no mention in the rules or on the Facebook page that anyone from the derby was obligated to provide updates on the board.  I checked the tickets and there is nothing there about it either.  So, I'm not really sure why some folks chose to get sand in their private parts about it.  Usually the best way to offer a suggestion to improve something is to offer some constructive criticism.  Not complain about it on the derby Facebook page and incite others to follow you or whine on iceshanty. I had suggested to the AVFD that we have someone provide regular updates on the board throughout the derby, if possible.  But due to FD members needed to run the weigh-in/ticket sales, and lack of members with smartphones (yes, hard to believe, but a fact up here in northern NH, not EVERYONE has one), it couldn't get done this time.  So, if anyone has a helpful suggestion to provide to make the Newfound Derby better, please feel free to PM me.  I'd be happy to pass it along.  But if you want make a fool of yourself by spouting off and complaining about something that you feel your entry is entitled to, feel free to do that too.  You only make yourself look like an idiot.
Thank you Troutfreak and to all the folks that helped to make a great weekend. Hats off to the FD, thanks for your service.

Good luck, Stay safe

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #363 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I haven't posted in forever. This past derby weekend was great! Had a great time with a bunch of great folks and caught a few fish.
Well said Troutfreak
Newfound (Circus)

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #364 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:08 AM »

..... I get it dennisg34.

I do agree and understand too that there needs to be more updates during the derby although I did post that updates would be on the radio, I'm sorry if that's too 18th century for you.
Like I said previously the volunteer committee is very willing to make changes for the better. It's a good suggestion if gone about the right way. You just need to communicate with them, not be the ass like your photo bomb shows and probably not whine on IS as most (if not all) of the volunteers are not on IS. Perhaps you can join the commitee and do something positive and make a difference. Also think about going to the HQ at the end of the derby to find out what really happens. THEY explain it there too.

I see your buddy won a prize for his entry of the cusk dennisg34, congrats to him, nice show. I guess in the end dennisg34, you have the right to make 2 choices for next years derby if you are not happy, either attend or don't.

Thanks Capt. Black for posting up the rules. Probably need to post this up on that inter web thingy so the 21st century guy would understand? Maybe pictures would be helpful for him next time too. I'll suggest that.

ps: dennisg34, i think what you quoted me was the wrong quote. I think you meant to quote my other post?

This is where text can be taken out of context as you cannot read how tones are written. I wasn't whining about how it was ran, or people who don't have smart phones I merely said they should (or try to) cater to both the radio people and a possible update or two during the derby with a board update. I'm sure it wasn't a constant flow of people bringing in fish to weigh, and 5 or less minutes is all it takes to update a page or what have you. I've seen the red flyer, that's why I brought it up in the first place as well as personally post on their FB page and the answer they gave me wasn't very clear. I never said anyone was obligated to post board updates. It would have just been nice to see at least 2 updates during the day (noon, hour or so before final check in) so that in case you think you have a fish that is close to qualifying you can keep it rather than keep a fish you might think would make it and take its life for no reason. Sure, fish get donated but it just means less fish in the lake that can grow to be bigger. Never meant any harm or aggressiveness to anyone as I have received for pointing a few things out that others didn't choose to bring up on here (but did on FB).

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #365 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Class act Mr Jiggin and Capt Black  :clap: :thumbsup:

I never say anything in this thread but have always followed every post.  Those two mentioned certainly seem to be class acts to me.  Unfortunately, the one causing the commotion is no stranger to "causing commotion".  He's young, he has time to learn  ::)

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #366 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Can I get some info on ATV travel, just looking to get out off of Wellington with my boys. Thanks

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #367 on: Feb 25, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Can I get some info on ATV travel, just looking to get out off of Wellington with my boys. Thanks

Draz, going out tonight to check on houses and make a plan to bump my house out of it's current spot.

I'll try to update later as to the conditions for ATV travel. Taking my sled out tonight though.

Stay tuned....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #368 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Draz, i think you will be ok with the wheeler on wellington boat launch this weekend. the snow seems to be stiffening up however be aware of deep snow drifts. i think water will come up some when drilling holes.

good luck and holler out on the radio when you get out there. going with ice midget?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:49 PM »
??? Hmm I wonder people did before social media to find out what's going on in the world ???

PG, I believe they sat around their "transistor radios" with the family and caught up on world and local events.  ;D

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #370 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Thanks Jiggin for the update. Yes Ice Midget will be up with me along with a couple of other guys. We will give a shout out when we get on the board (hopefully).
Thanks again and tight lines to all!

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Draz, going out tonight to check on houses and make a plan to bump my house out of it's current spot.

I'll try to update later as to the conditions for ATV travel. Taking my sled out tonight though.

Stay tuned....

You cannot bump your house yet...you haven't provided us with a picture of "spot" yet!!!!!
TP

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #372 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:42 PM »
You cannot bump your house yet...you haven't provided us with a picture of "spot" yet!!!!!

Very good point!

I have a feeling "Spot" will be following me around. I'm only moving about 35 yrds or so from where i am now. No other houses around me. He'll get hungry and stop by for a visit i'm sure.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Very good point!

I have a feeling "Spot" will be following me around. I'm only moving about 35 yrds or so from where i am now. No other houses around me. He'll get hungry and stop by for a visit i'm sure.

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing a pic of him one of these days.
TP

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Yeah, me too! I'd like to see what a fish looks like.  ::)

I did hear that I wasn't the only one in the skunk club this past weekend, though. It was pretty slow; Motorola pulled up 4 cusk in the evening (after they guppy lipped my jig....thief! lol) and only 2 were worth keeping. I couldn't believe the winning cusk was only 3-ish pounds! We thought we were in a good spot to possibly get on the board, but it was not to be lol.

We had fun, though. I finally fell asleep about 5 a.m., and I was bummed when I found I had slept till 9!  :o

I woke to Motorola cooking up some breakfast.  ;D

We cruised around on his sled Sunday, trying a few spots we wanted to try. One of his spots did produce a modest 19" laker, though.

Gorgeous day....we enjoyed visiting Jiggin/CH and Ladybug at their shacks, stopping by the boards, then fishing our way back to his place. Even with no fish, I wouldn't trade the weekend I had for the world.  :)

Now I'm still trying to decide where to launch my bad self from this coming weekend. Town beach is out; have you guys seen the snowbank?  :o
Maybe launch at the foot and try to work my way up to the south of Mayhew? Maybe try to hitch a ride from the boat launch a little way south? Desicions, desicions.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #375 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:11 PM »
2/28/15

Got to the boat launch and it was cold. -8f at my house this morning. Glad the wind wasn't blowing.
Saw Hounded there, great to see you. Been a while.

Got the bob house and started in on bumping it out of it's sag spot. It was a bit of work but got it done. Bumped it only 75 - 100 feet from where it was. Had a spot already marked as to where it was going to go from the other night.
Bump went without a hitch (no pun intended) actually went with a hitch but without any problems.

Figured water was going to come up as I drilled my holes but it was cold and i think the snow cone under the house froze pretty quickly containing the water from spilling onto the lake. Some water under the snow but it seemed to freeze up.

Got all set up, had my first cup of coffess and then Laker Taker requested some help to move his bob house from the Whip O Will back to Whitemore. His wheeler was having problems as it was digging into the snow drifts. No problem, hooked onto it with the Scandic and off I went with his house. Back to fishing again.

Later CH offered to Ladybug for me to drill out her holes. So off I went again to help Ladybug out. Got her house all set up and ready for her when she came out. Visited with Beerhog and Fishog for a bit too.

Back to fishing again.

I had a couple of lakers come in, one small and the other fairly decent size. Of course the small one hits my jig and up he comes. Bigger one hung around long enough for me to get my jig back down but i think he was looking for his buddy.

Later in the day, sure enough "Spot" finds me. Doing his usual thing of eating chum on the bottom. This time i only had a few pieces down and sure enough, he hit my jig. Brought him up and was able to get our picture taken together.  21" and a fatty. Checked out his tail spot and noticed too that he had some marking on his side near his gill plate, looked like lamprey marks which we don't have any. I'll post up a pic of "Spot" later.
Finally after about a month playing with each other i was able to meet him face to face, hang out for a bit, get a couple of pics and then back down he goes, didn't see him the rest of the day.

CH is getting better at stealing lakers from me. We had a couple come in, they seemed to be really interested in my jig, attacking it but never taking the bait completely. CH high jerked me and they immediately went to her jig and she proceeded to catch both. Later in the day she lost her 3rd laker on a tip up in 4 fow. Got it to the hole and tried to lift it with her line out of the water. Laker Taker made a mad grab for it but it turned tail and ran. He said it was a fatty.

Seemed most of the ladies on the lake did good too. Psycho finally beat Butterfly today, she was ahead of him. Lynx kicked Lush's behind today too and as we were leaving, I heard Guinea jigged one up too. Cheers to you ladies of the Newfound Circus. 

Heard Draz and Ice Midgets crew did well too. Believe Lil Draz kicked some booty too out there.

Todays weather was great, no wind and fairly warm although not warm enough to melt the snow to create slush. Good day to spend on the lake and great chatter.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #376 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:47 PM »
A close up of "Spot" and the markings on his side near his gill plate.

You can see the spot on his tail.

One of CH's laker

Another one of CH's laker

Lynx with a nice cusk she jigged up

Lynx showing Lush what they look like

Lil Squirt's laker

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #377 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Great report, Jiggin.
Glad you finally had your meet and greet with Spot.  :)
Thanks for the pics.

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #378 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:45 PM »
Hats off to the Ladies! Congrats JIGGIN!! Sounds like it was a great day up there.

Good luck, Stay safe

Offline Clams

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #379 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Nice job catching "spot"! Wonder what caused those marks?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #380 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:23 AM »
Hey Jiggin
Not to hijack this thread but I saw your reference to your Skandic.
I'm looking for one and I was wondering if you could give me some
Info on them as far As which years model to avoid and if the newer ones
(2014 2015) are as good as the earlier models.
Also if you know of any for sale locally.
I really enjoy your posts and humor and someday will show up out there and become part of the circus!
Any info on the Skandics is appreciated!
Thanks and keep on Jiggin!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #381 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Hey Jiggin
Not to hijack this thread but I saw your reference to your Skandic.
I'm looking for one and I was wondering if you could give me some
Info on them as far As which years model to avoid and if the newer ones
(2014 2015) are as good as the earlier models.
Also if you know of any for sale locally.
I really enjoy your posts and humor and someday will show up out there and become part of the circus!
Any info on the Skandics is appreciated!
Thanks and keep on Jiggin!

My Scandic is a 2004, model SUV 550 fan cooled. Love it. I take pretty good care of it as i use it at least half the ice fishing season if not more. It will pull my bob house (heavy) with no problems. It has a low and high gear plus reverse. Storage under the entire seat (2 up) with luggage high rack on the back. No problems with it at all.
I did take it trail riding a few years ago and it was a nightmare. it's 9 feet long and not made for the trails however it will pull just about anything. Wide track / Long track with picks and carbides which is required for ice fishing and bob house pulling. It will go just about anywhere.

I looked at the new ones as Scruffy just bought one last season 2014. Very nice but there are a few things i didn't like about it. Storage under the seat is only under the passenger seat. not much. i store a bunch of stuff under my seat including bringing stuff too and from my bob house for safe travels. Cover comes off in sections instead of just flipping over the entire cowling. the storage rack on the back is big but doesn't have high sides boards or railings which you could probably get as an option.

Do not get a liquid cooled sled, get a fan cooled. 550 cc is plenty, any more your basically spinning the track. need to pick it out and put carbides on your skis. Don't plan on trail riding, only used as a work horse.  I don't know of any for sale, they are hard to find cause folks hang on to them forever. I want to trade mine in but i'll wait till they modify a few things on the newer models. Newer models are not cheap but they are worth the investment for ice fishing in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Your always welcome to join in on the shenanigans whenever you come to Newfound. Just holler out, let us know your out there and jump in.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #382 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:38 PM »
3/1/15

Happy first day of March. The start of the home stretch.  :-\

Was dragging a bit this morning. Got to the lake around 7 am. It was cold this morning again, -2f but warmer than yesterday. No wind, overcast. Even though the sun wasn't out all day, visibility on the camera was pretty good. All chum from yesterday was gone, got the house set up and ready for a day of action.

After picking up CH at the boat launch, we stopped in to visit Beerhog and Fishog. Joe was fishing today with them and was nice enough to show us how to catch 2 lakers on his tip up. Gonna be a good day!

Settled in and starting jigging, changing jigs and switching it up. Put a couple of tip ups out in 8 fow with smelt.

We never saw any lakers until around 2:00 pm and they just swam by. Meanwhile, Tipping (who is just north of me) and Laker Taker (who bumped his house just south of me) were getting into em. They shut us down.......kidding i think.

There were some decent lakers caught today by others. Glad to hear it. 

Fishnet and her son came to visit today. Glad to see them out there. Unfortunately Fishnet has to work next weekend and doesn't think she will be able to make it to the IS gathering.

Harry (the bald eagle) followed CH and I back to the boat launch. Great looking bird. Searching for sucker carcasses etc....we now have 2 eagles on the lake.

Great chatter on the lake. You just never know what will be said.

Looking forward to next weekend. Not looking forward to this weeks weather....heard possible rain and warm weather. Might be a slush fest next weekend, we'll see. It's coming....with the amount of snow on the lake right now. March might be a wet one. Hopefully I can get out this week and check things. Probably Thursday evening.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #383 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Great weekend reports - nice pics of Spot!  Hope you see home again...
TP

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #384 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:30 AM »
My Scandic is a 2004, model SUV 550 fan cooled. Love it. I take pretty good care of it as i use it at least half the ice fishing season if not more. It will pull my bob house (heavy) with no problems. It has a low and high gear plus reverse. Storage under the entire seat (2 up) with luggage high rack on the back. No problems with it at all.
I did take it trail riding a few years ago and it was a nightmare. it's 9 feet long and not made for the trails however it will pull just about anything. Wide track / Long track with picks and carbides which is required for ice fishing and bob house pulling. It will go just about anywhere.

I looked at the new ones as Scruffy just bought one last season 2014. Very nice but there are a few things i didn't like about it. Storage under the seat is only under the passenger seat. not much. i store a bunch of stuff under my seat including bringing stuff too and from my bob house for safe travels. Cover comes off in sections instead of just flipping over the entire cowling. the storage rack on the back is big but doesn't have high sides boards or railings which you could probably get as an option.

Do not get a liquid cooled sled, get a fan cooled. 550 cc is plenty, any more your basically spinning the track. need to pick it out and put carbides on your skis. Don't plan on trail riding, only used as a work horse.  I don't know of any for sale, they are hard to find cause folks hang on to them forever. I want to trade mine in but i'll wait till they modify a few things on the newer models. Newer models are not cheap but they are worth the investment for ice fishing in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Your always welcome to join in on the shenanigans whenever you come to Newfound. Just holler out, let us know your out there and jump in.

Awesome info! Thank you and we'll see you out there sometime!

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #385 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Heard Draz and Ice Midgets crew did well too. Believe Lil Draz kicked some booty too out there.

We had a great day, ended the day with 5 lakers among group. I missed 2 on the jig as well as Icemidget and lost one on the trap. Minni Draz had 2 and Little Draz had one.
They were so excited to go to the Circus so they could say what they caught on the radio. All fish came up on tip-ups.

Jiggin nice job on getting Spot.

Here is a couple of pics:

Minni Draz with his 2

Little Draz

And Kurtis (wants to be called Raven) our friends first laker

Just a good Bro pic

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #386 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Nice work Team Draz! Glad you all had a great day.

It was fun listening to all their excitement on the radio. Very contangious and made me try harder to catch some lakers too!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:18 PM »

Hope this helps.

Jiggin, I also wanted to mention that if you DO sell your Skandic (rather than trade) I would be interested if I haven't already popped on one elsewhere. You may already have a waiting list for it if you sell but just wanted to throw this out to you in case...Thanks again for the info!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #388 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:03 PM »
3/2/2015

Tonight after work, Tippin, Laker Taker and I chopped out our bait boxes. Mine was almost submerged  and needed to be free'd up and floating again. It took a while, using our augers drilling holes around the box and then using a ice saw to "connect the dots" around our boxes. Finally after much work got all 3 of our boxes free'd up and floating. Wheeew, a lot alike work it was.

Glad that's over.....

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:15 PM »
thats cool you just store it right out there in the water?
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.