New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1338948 times)

Offline mee2gofishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10920 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the clarification and follow-up on the airboat. 

Offline Skinny419

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10921 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Hey everyone, I don't have a lot of experience fishing Lake George. Looking to come up for a weekend and fish between Bolton Landing & the Village.  How is the fishing around the island of the Sagamore, can you access the lake from the island or in that general area. Any other locations between there and the Village? Im aware of MDB but that seems to be pretty busy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, looking to catch some lakers. Thanks in advance!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10922 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:05 AM »
Fished Vet's yesterday.  Slow bite, perch were very finicky.  9" of ice in the bay, 6" out past where the ice changes color but it got gradually thinner further out than that.  The guy to the left of the access (with no dock) does not have a bubbler this year, maybe he got a heart.

Offline Bern73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10923 on: Feb 26, 2020, 04:13 AM »
  The guy to the left of the access (with no dock) does not have a bubbler this year, maybe he got a heart.

Heart,  electric bill or both

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10924 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Heart,  electric bill or both
If you own a nice house right on lake George I doubt you worried about price of electricity. Last 3 times i fished at vets looks like he had ice eater on at some point. Was open water in that spot but nothing was running.
3 different bays I fished this year all same results. Tons of 7" perch.  Very few 8-9" and  all the dink perch a man could want. I would love to have that lake completely lock up so I could take the quad to different areas. I'm sure nice size perch are stacked somewhere in spots that are usually inaccessible during winter.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10925 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Could be he is the one "good" weatherman that knew what kind of Winter we were going to have...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10926 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Half inch of rain forecasted tonight, no bueno

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10927 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:48 PM »
For the NW bay question, 5-6" over the deeper parts of the bay. Lots of pressure cracks and a very sketchy pressure ridge that you had to scoot across if you wanted to reach the deeper water. Going out was always hard ice, but by the end of the day (out sunday and monday) the ice was very soft on the surface and spud was going down 1-1.5" in some of the weaker areas. Definitely spud spud spud out there, especially on the way back in if you go out on the warmer days. i know that the ice had deteriorated enough that it was really sketchy getting off at the private access i use. Bubblers + warm weather toasted my ice at my docking point and the lake graciously wanted me test the "float" feature on my new bibs  :roflmao:

As for the open water, there was a very large and noticeable section just north of crown island and extending almost over to montcalm point off tongue mountain, and over the the islands to the south of it (oahu and possibly over to fourteen mile island). Couldnt tell how far it extended to the south.

Offline butkusbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10928 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I was at Huddle this morning. Got my fishing in but ice was looking slushy and porous, bubbles and cracks looking bigger. I won't be back without a cold snap for sure. Not to scare away just to warn us crazys !

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10929 on: Feb 26, 2020, 04:24 PM »
I was at Huddle this morning. Got my fishing in but ice was looking slushy and porous, bubbles and cracks looking bigger. I won't be back without a cold snap for sure. Not to scare away just to warn us crazys !
thanks for the report...was the access still holding up okay?

Offline AdkKen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10930 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Roger from Brant Lake got into some nice fish this past week on LG.  Check it out :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10931 on: Feb 27, 2020, 10:45 AM »
Little cold snap this weekend should mend things after the soaking we got last night ..... I hope atleast she’s winding down b4 she ever even started

Offline butkusbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10932 on: Feb 27, 2020, 12:30 PM »
thanks for the report...was the access still holding up okay?]
Broke through the first foot of ice by shore right by the beach but access was ok yesterday. The bubblers are eating away and ice is grey, cracks a little bigger. It needs cold to stay good enough.

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10933 on: Feb 27, 2020, 04:36 PM »
Thanks bowman

Forecast looks like a roller coaster for the foreseeable future...weather for the next 72 hours should help though

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10934 on: Feb 28, 2020, 12:09 PM »
the wind here at Lake George is howling.... any open water is going to get ripping...

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #10935 on: Feb 28, 2020, 03:27 PM »
How’s the ice looking at vets? Thinking of heading out for perch

Offline MasterP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10936 on: Feb 28, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Forget vets park.....unless you pack your speedo......punky ice late afternoon

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10937 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Forget vets park.....unless you pack your speedo......punky ice late afternoon
Not good that freakin wind was honking yesterday and this am

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10938 on: Feb 28, 2020, 09:09 PM »
MDB still good?
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10939 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:13 PM »
MDB still good?
Machines all over when I passed today

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10940 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Seems like people are giving up, easy walking and fewer people fishing everywhere even not many postings boards quite, I can’t complain tho not as many people out as I would have thought today

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10941 on: Feb 29, 2020, 08:33 PM »
Seems like people are giving up, easy walking and fewer people fishing everywhere even not many postings boards quite, I can’t complain tho not as many people out as I would have thought today

Not sure they are giving up, More like shifting their interests and preparing for the big schroon tournament and sacandaga tournaments next weekend.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10942 on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:25 AM »
Good with me I’ll be out fishing schroon next weekend would rather but the time In on George while we got it, schroon tourney isn’t about winning for me more about the good time was out on schroon every weekend since mid December I’ll end the season there too brotha good luck next weekend hope to meet a few shanty members out there

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10943 on: Mar 02, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Went out of cotton saturday

Parking was full by 545am

Edges were only 2 inches. It got to about 9inches halfway thru bay then dropped back to 5 to 6 inches over ridge.

On way back in around 2pm, ridge was open. Ice on edges seemed ok but you could see water all along it.

A 6 wheeler decided it was a good idea to drive over 2inch ice at the launch so it was all broken up, guess he didnt see my 2 holes I popped that clearly showed almost no ice where he was driving in. If you go, walk left to avoid any issues.
Saturday was a decent day, buddy got a 9.5lb  laker and I had a really nice laker spit my hook at the hole. We caught some decent fish.

Buddy went back sun, VERY slow fishing, more wheelers were on ice too but the ridge was blown out, he said a wheeler had a real hard time finding a way back over ridge.

This weeks forecast isn't looking too good either

Be careful and spud your way out and in
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10944 on: Mar 02, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Went out of cotton saturday

Parking was full by 545am

Edges were only 2 inches. It got to about 9inches halfway thru bay then dropped back to 5 to 6 inches over ridge.

On way back in around 2pm, ridge was open. Ice on edges seemed ok but you could see water all along it.

A 6 wheeler decided it was a good idea to drive over 2inch ice at the launch so it was all broken up, guess he didnt see my 2 holes I popped that clearly showed almost no ice where he was driving in. If you go, walk left to avoid any issues.
Saturday was a decent day, buddy got a 9.5lb  laker and I had a really nice laker spit my hook at the hole. We caught some decent fish.

Buddy went back sun, VERY slow fishing, more wheelers were on ice too but the ridge was blown out, he said a wheeler had a real hard time finding a way back over ridge.

This weeks forecast isn't looking too good either

Be careful and spud your way out and in
Thank you for a detailed report brotha, I also fished this weekend Saturday and Sunday noisy ice I found 11” where I was tho crossed an area between an island and land on the way out in the am to cut some time out of my walk and with the bright south facing sun and pressure a crack popped up about a 1/4 miles wide mainland to island water flooded it and ice sunk a good 3 feet with standing water on top maybe 15-20 feet wide, took the long way back needless to say. there’s plenty of ice but I think it’ll start to go fast suns getting stronger and higher day by day as we get closer to spring 7” of black ice the white stuff on top will go quick

Offline butch76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10945 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:08 PM »
11” of ice at MDB today with a few inches of snow ice on top. Will start to go quick with this warm temps, sun and wind. Decent size perch were mainly biting on the tip ups with small ones jigging.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10946 on: Mar 02, 2020, 03:11 PM »
11” of ice at MDB today with a few inches of snow ice on top. Will start to go quick with this warm temps, sun and wind. Decent size perch were mainly biting on the tip ups with small ones jigging.
I was mid lake and we had same ice conditions little less in some spots north the way north basin is only few inches if that lots of shoreline chunked up no snow where I was tho just about glare ice and very easy walking conditions

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10947 on: Mar 04, 2020, 06:04 AM »
only a few more weeks left I think boys....

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10948 on: Mar 04, 2020, 10:25 AM »
only a few more weeks left I think boys....

You're obviously an optimistic person  ;D

I saw a post on Facebook with guys stripped down to their underwear to get off the ice at Vets yesterday and yours truly went swimming Sunday on the way off (I highly recommend a float suit!) because the bubblers destroyed the shore ice.

I'm hoping for one last weekend off of MDB at this point.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10949 on: Mar 04, 2020, 10:30 AM »
I highly doubt you will get a few more days let alone a few weeks... shoreline is going fast and the wind is moving the ice...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.