New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095008 times)

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
at a boat ramp .dec web has it on the map

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
Does anyone know ice conditions at the Diverting Reservoir. Will probably drive out there on Friday after work.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
50 and rain on thursday :-\

Actually this could be a good thing for us. I see 45-50 with rain on Thursday but then another cold snap Thursday night down in the high teens. Seems to me we are slow at building ice from below but the rain mixed with what snow is on top could build ice from above with the right conditions. I was by SB, Toronto and White Lake yesterday. SB has open water just down on the left from the public launch and I saw zero tracks from any activity out on the ice. White Lake is locked up however I saw zero tracks there from any activity. Toronto from the dam side had one guy fishing just off the launch who said 5-6 inches close in but less farther out and there was no tracks at all across the entire lake. I did not go over to the Moscow road side. Bait up in this part is at the farm store on 17B across from Wyde Lumber or from the Agway up in Liberty. In Cuddebackville/Godeffroy you can find bait at Bud Flanagan's Sportsman's Garage just past the school and bridge over the Neversink. Most of the reports are from Superior and supposedly better ice there but I don't fish it so where ever you decide to go just be mighty careful in this late season start. All of these lakes had too much open water just a week or two ago.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Saw guys on 17b side of White lake Thursday.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Does anyone know ice conditions at the Diverting Reservoir. Will probably drive out there on Friday after work.

Guys on it yesterday.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Saw guys on 17b side of White lake Thursday.

I drove all around White Lake yesterday and saw no signs of activity since after the snow. The public launch area is not plowed and no sign of fishing on the north west side or the 17B side yet. Not sure but it might be the fire company who decides when the ice is safe and sends the town to plow the launch.

Gam

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I drove all around White Lake yesterday and saw no signs of activity since after the snow. The public launch area is not plowed and no sign of fishing on the north west side or the 17B side yet. Not sure but it might be the fire company who decides when the ice is safe and sends the town to plow the launch.

Gam

Was the launch at SWB plowed ? If not I was advised you could contact the DEC Region 3 and notify them if any public launch was not plowed..they have private contractors for hire that sometimes need a careful eye. You can contact them since you observed the unplowed conditions.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/558.html#region3
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was the launch at SWB plowed ? If not I was advised you could contact the DEC Region 3 and notify them if any public launch was not plowed..they have private contractors for hire that sometimes need a careful eye. You can contact them since you observed the unplowed conditions.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/558.html#region3

Thanks DH, I just called and spoke with the director of operations and he is on it. SB is a real mess from guys driving into the unplowed parking area. White lake was totally untouched with a big pile at the entrance.

Gam

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks DH, I just called and spoke with the director of operations and he is on it. SB is a real mess from guys driving into the unplowed parking area. White lake was totally untouched with a big pile at the entrance.

Gam

Good to know ...I contacted them several years ago with similar concerns via Email and they were very responsive and problems resolved ...anybody know the conditions of the Lake Huntington P/lot ...that's one that often gets overlooked
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good  know ...I contacted them several years ago with similar concerns via Email and they were very responsive and problems resolved ...anybody know the conditions of the Lake Huntington P/lot ...that's one that often gets overlooked

I don't fish Superior but I know that ramp has a nasty hill I have seen lots of guys stuck on. The trail off that road that winds through the swamp is the better access but tough parking there too. I don't know the other access points if any.

Gam

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Three yummy yellows and a gill this morning. Hopefully this rain will beat down this layer of thick snow to make for better walking conditions...

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict

Gam
Yeah I'm not talking sign, I physically  saw two guys fishing tip ups and all Thursday. They were right out in front of the Firehouse, Which seems like one of the last places to freeze. The kaneaunga side  freezes first. Not many people got out I don't think.

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was 8in at a lake in Ulster county today. +3in since Saturday. May try to go out tomorrow

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah I'm not talking sign, I physically  saw two guys fishing tip ups and all Thursday. They were right out in front of the Firehouse, Which seems like one of the last places to freeze. The kaneaunga side  freezes first. Not many people got out I don't think.

I was out looking a hunting for guys on the ice just to get some real numbers but since the snow I could not see there was any activity. Usually from the launch, north west corner or from 17B you can see where holes and tracks were but I saw none on White. No tracks at all on SB and only one guy, a brave soul out on the Toronto dam launch with the winds blowing pretty hard. I did talk with him and he said 5-6 inches but less the farther out he went. All of these lakes getting locked up is the key so the winds have no real effects. I would not venture out too far out on Toronto just yet because I was there last week and saw open water out in the middle from the dam side launch. My point is to keep everyone safe this year and my reports come from seeing it with my own eyes because I am close enough to go for the rides and check. After this week and all the cold nights I would suspect all the usual haunts are pretty close to good to go but I would still be careful in the known spots where the currents below flow. SB is a real SOB because of the Mongaup flow and this is why they don't hold the king contest there any more. Toronto can be a bit sketchy because the water level goes up and down for hydro generating and the shore lines get trashed quick. I don't much care if anyone heeds my reports because I have only been fishing these lakes for 55 years and not much has really changed except the fish and fishing used to be much different and in some places much better back in the 60s & 70s. The DEC used to stock trout in most of these places but I guess the price we pay today for a license is not quite large enough to do that any more. The Mongaup river and Swinging Bridge was a highly famed trout fishery long ago but not so much these days. I still have not quite figured out the Walleye techniques but it sure is fun learning a new species.

Gam

Offline jtsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • So many fish , So little time.....
Thanks for your detailed reports Gamalot. Really appreciate it. Good luck fishin!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening. Beachwoods16 i don't know who currently  owns Swan Lake but as you may already know the former boat launch on route 55 has been blocked  off and sign stating no parking or fishing private lake . there are similar signs on Briscoe road I assume whomever owns the former Stevensville resort property probably owns most of Swan Lake. There might be a few local residents who have lake front property and have lake access rights.

Stealthcraftjet welcome to Ice Shanty on the same road the state access for Swinging Bridge is located on is the Starlite Marina you maybe able to park there and get onto the lake for a daily fee.

Gamalot thank you for the reports good to know dam access on Toronto is open to public at one time there was a battle going on between the developers of Chapan Estates  and some local group over that access spot. If anyone chooses to access Toronto via the Muscoe road access I suggest sticking to the right shore line as you walk out to main body of the reservoir . By the parking area is the in flow coming  from Black Lake and ice might be thinner due to current. Also on there is one spot on the route 55 side of the reservoir that is closed to public fishing rights owned by a sportmens club. (BLACK LAKE is PRIVATELY OWNED)

Be careful folks see a few threads here on I.S. of people and vehicles going through the ice out in Indiana . use your spud and have a buddy with throw rope at the ready. Might be wise once you reach area of any lake you plan to drill holes and fish to first walk the area and check with spud. I know a fellow who was fishing in Dutchess county a few years back driiled a couple moved to drill another hole and broke through while holding the auger thankfully with help from a friend he was able to get out of water back onto ice surface.

Can someone please be so kind as to post location of woods trail access to Lake Superior or send me a personal Message with the information.
Safe travel and good fishing to all heading out this weekend.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Got out today for the first time this year fished public water slow bite but could've been a result of me taking most of the afternoon trying to find the fish by the time I found them the bite was pretty much over. They weren't in the same spot they've been the 8 years lol. Oh well learned something new on this water and found a new spot! Ended up with a mixed bag of panfish.

Also got to test out my new lithium shuttle for my lx7 and man do I like it a hell of a lot more than the soft case that came with the unit when I first got it

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Stealthcraftjet

• IceShanty Rookie
Good evening. Beachwoods16 i don't know who currently  owns Swan Lake but as you may already know the former boat launch on route 55 has been blocked  off and sign stating no parking or fishing private lake . there are similar signs on Briscoe road I assume whomever owns the former Stevensville resort property probably owns most of Swan Lake. There might be a few local residents who have lake front property and have lake access rights.

Stealthcraftjet welcome to Ice Shanty on the same road the state access for Swinging Bridge is located on is the Starlite Marina you maybe able to park there and get onto the lake for a daily fee.

Gamalot thank you for the reports good to know dam access on Toronto is open to public at one time there was a battle going on between the developers of Chapan Estates  and some local group over that access spot. If anyone chooses to access Toronto via the Muscoe road access I suggest sticking to the right shore line as you walk out to main body of the reservoir . By the parking area is the in flow coming  from Black Lake and ice might be thinner due to current. Also on there is one spot on the route 55 side of the reservoir that is closed to public fishing rights owned by a sportmens club. (BLACK LAKE is PRIVATELY OWNED)

Be careful folks see a few threads here on I.S. of people and vehicles going through the ice out in Indiana . use your spud and have a buddy with throw rope at the ready. Might be wise once you reach area of any lake you plan to drill holes and fish to first walk the area and check with spud. I know a fellow who was fishing in Dutchess county a few years back driiled a couple moved to drill another hole and broke through while holding the auger thankfully with help from a friend he was able to get out of water back onto ice surface.

Can someone please be so kind as to post location of woods trail access to Lake Superior or send me a personal Message with the information.
Safe travel and good fishing to all heading out this weekend.
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dam access to Toronto has been open now for a few years however Eagle Creek who owns the dam does not seem to interested in plowing the horrible road to it after any storms. Summer time is fine but winter is hit and miss a lot of the time. I don't recommend it for anyone without a 4X4 truck or SUV with good treads. I do not believe they are under any obligation to keep the road or launch open but they do get it plowed so the dam super can get up to adjust the outflow. All of these waters in the Mongaup chain are privately owned by the hydro power companies and they all have their own agreements with the DEC. Cliff Lake is totally closed all winter as is Rio and the dam on SB.  Lebanon has a lottery system to get on and after over 40 years of entering their BS lottery I have never once been assigned a date to fish there but have fished as a guest with others who are in the loop. Actually a very sad place because it is so over grown with weeds the fishing is not worth the bother, just like fishing the Basher swamp and if you do get a 2 or 3 pound fish you have to reel in 5 pounds of weeds with it. I fish a few other places here that are dead as far as I'm concerned. One place is so overloaded with pickerel they all tend to stay the exact same size of around 14-18 inches and none bigger but you can go by yourself with 3 dozen bait and be out of bait in a few hours if you like slime darts. I actually caught an 18 inch pickerel that had a 10 inch pickerel still sticking out of his mouth. I leave the pan fish, perch and crappies to those here who enjoy the action and are willing to clean fish by the buckets for freezing. I do chase after the trout and walleyes and would prefer all the rest leave my lines alone. Once in a while I do get a slob perch or two worth a nice fresh fish dinner for me and the wife but a day on the ice getting skunked is just as good as a day sitting at home in my opinion. White lake does have some real nice trout and I have caught my share but I don't go there with any plans of bringing dinner home. Big pond is actually a small pond but it gets hammered every weekend and becomes a real zoo. Little pond is one quarter the size of BP but it's almost a mile walk in and I can't cut it these days. Fishing the hardwater is more for fun and getting out with buddies than it is for filling a freezer IMO. Getting home with a bucket of fish to clean sounds more like a chore to me after a long day out on the ice but you guys can have them all and I will take a nice 18 inch eye or trout any day for dinner that night. To each his own and a nice Haddock filet from the market is way, way cheaper.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 congratulations on finding the fish . Sounds like the Marcum lithium-Ion shuttle was a good purchase. May you have continued good fishing this ice season.
Stealthcraftjet thank you for the photo next time I'm in that part of Sullivan county will have to take a drive down Dr.Duggan road and see if I can find the woods trail.
Gamalot thank you for sharing your knowledge of Sullivan county. I was told Cliff lake and Mongaup Falls were closed to fishing in the winter as both as Wintering grounds for Bald eagles and DEC does not want people disturbing the nesting eagles. Cliff Lake is also another spot that can be a difficult to access in the Winter. We fishermen due own our thanks to water front property owners in Chapan Estates at one time power company keep water level in Toronto very low only after these property owners petitioned Town of Bethel to have their property assessments   changed and town saw a possible good loss in tax revenue did the town take action and the power company raise water level. At one time when you parked at the Muscoe road access you only saw dry land with a small stream leading to main body of the reservoir.

Gamalot have you heard of anyone recently /last couple of years catching a lake trout from White Lake was wondering if any of the stockings from years back resulted in a natural reproduction on this species . i know DEC switched to stocking Walleye in White Lake some years back.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The gate at the Mongaup falls eagle observatory up to the SB dam and onward to Cliff lake is locked after November 30. Complete BS about disturbing the eagles and while fishing on the SB reservoir they often sit right in the trees by us hoping we toss a few fish their way which we do. I think they just don't want vehicles cutting ruts in the dirt roads.

Lake trout are still in White Lake and I have caught a few slammers well over 10 pounds from my boat but very deep with down riggers. Not much action with them through the ice but a few do get caught in the King contest. DEC stocks walleyes because they are way easier and a bunch cheaper to raise in the hatcheries and a heartier fish. The forage base is the main key to the fish that do well in these lakes. SB and the RIO have great schools of alewife (Saw Bellies) so the walleye and trout have plenty to eat. If we could get saw bellies during the winter we would do much better fishing for those species. Shiners are not their preferred food. Even a dead saw belly is better than a live minnow and night crawlers catch the eyes year round. Light leaders are the single most important tackle for both trout and eyes but you can and will get broke off getting the larger ones through the hole. I call White Lake the dead sea but it sure could give up a nice fish every now and then. All of these Mongaup lakes hold big trout and eyes but they don't get big from being dumb. I have seen monster browns caught in the Mongaup above the bridge over 17B and caught a bunch of nice fish in all the reservoirs below. Never caught a hybrid striper or tiger musky in SB but they did stock them there a while back.
The road along the RIO has more bald eagles than I can count on the north end of plank road where the river comes in. I saw 8 yesterday and not much bothers them. Eagles are here because the fish and open water is here and between the Mongaup and Neversink there has to be well over 50 pairs year round. The pond at the end of Cold Spring road and Oakland valley has eagles fishing all summer long and is just down from my house, both Bald and Golden eagles pretty regular. I live in Hartwood just off Oakland Valley and see eagles almost every day. Nice brook trout in the stream along Oakland Valley but it is all private and well patrolled from the Neversink up to my yard. The Neversink from Bridgeville down to Cuddebackville is probably the best trout waters around here but it is mostly the Unique Area and very tough fishing and catch and release for most of it. The Mongaup from route 97 up to the RIO dam is also great trout fishing if you are a billy goat and able to do a full or 2 day trek. I have been hooked on fishing the trout in Sullivan county since I was 10 and not many of these spots I have not fished over 55 years but just can't do it these days like I used to. The fish are still here but I can't get to the best spots any more.

Gam

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
Hey Mr Clean if your going down Dr Duggan Rd coming from 17b you will see maybe 5 or 6 large rocks on the right hand side of the road near the beggining of the lake just go slow you cant miss them, thats the path your looking for but wear your tall boots going back there it does get a little sloppy sometimes

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
Fishoninct i was on diverting as of 5 pm Wednesday night when I left there was 7 inches in front of the dam still open water on the far end but you should be good to go Friday and that was 7 inches on a stanley tape not eyeballing it

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Anyone been on Putnam Lake?    Any ice reports? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Loud,

I had a feeling that was you yesterday afternoon. I hope you fished my holes for the crappie you were looking for. If you see my sitting on my blue pail, next time say hello.
Rich

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Loud,

I had a feeling that was you yesterday afternoon. I hope you fished my holes for the crappie you were looking for. If you see my sitting on my blue pail, next time say hello.
Rich

Will do. I didn't use your holes but scouted that area a bit didn't realize It got deeper again over there... hopefully the rain doesn't mess too much up and Greenwood freezes quick

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Are there any public access points on Greenwood?

Offline jcs379

• IceShanty Rookie
Are there any public access points on Greenwood?
yes,from the village

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
State access at White Lake is clean. Didn't go on ice. Fished Lake Huntington this afternoon. Good shore ice and 8-10 inches around launch. Marked a few fish and jigged two 20" plus Pickeral  I put back.

Offline beartracks

• IceShanty Rookie
Any of you guys have been up to Big Pond in Delaware county this year? I would like to find out the ice and snow conditions up there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.