Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

Longnose Gar pics of 2/01/08

(1/2) > >>

swampbuckster:
Well, did pretty good for the evening gar spearing session.Me on the left, luckyfish on the right. Got 3 of 'em, hit another and missed two more.We ended up seeing about a dozen of them before it got dark. Be heading out there tomorrow as well to see if we can put a hurtin' on them again.

darkhousefisher:
Way to go!!  Sure are mean lookin fish, any good to eat?  Are they as aggresive as pike?

swampbuckster:
I honestly dunno how they taste. They don't LOOK appetizing. But my buddy filet them up last night so maybe he tried some broiled gar. I guess their eggs are poisonous too.  They aren't really that aggressive with a ten pound spear attached to their backs.

pikemaster789:

--- Quote from: swampbuckster on Feb 02, 2008, 08:22 AM ---I honestly dunno how they taste. They don't LOOK appetizing. But my buddy filet them up last night so maybe he tried some broiled gar. I guess their eggs are poisonous too.  They aren't really that aggressive with a ten pound spear attached to their backs.

--- End quote ---

Ive read and heard they taste great but are a pain to clean

GAMBELL:
The taxidermist I go to said you have to cut the scale / skin with tin snips.  Once you get all the meat out, you can set the carcase on a table and it will hold it's shape.  Nice fish guys. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version