Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

Pics Of Your Spear

<< < (2/16) > >>

darkhousefisher:
Here's some pics of my other spears.

This is one of the first spears I built, but it has since been modified.  It originally had 5  1/4" tines with cuyt barbs.  I went back and added 4 more 5/16" tines and tig welded bigger barbs on it.  the tines are 9 1/2" wide and about 5 1/2" long

This spears tines are 9" wide, 1/4" diameter, and 8" long.  I made the bladed shoulder from 1/4" plate.The barbs are made with a hack saw.  I sharpened the shoulder between the tines, but after cutting a pike in half, have dulled the shoulder between the tines, lol. 

MrMarty51:
Friend grant with His homemade arrowhead spear,note the fletchings on the end of the handle.  ;D

ice junkie:
[/img][img]

travisj88:
I have never spearfished before so my question might sound stupid, but here goes.  The handled of your spears look like they are metal.  If they are don't they slide in your gloves making them difficult to get a good jabbing action and if you don't use gloves don't you get frostbite?  Just curious.
Travis

darkhousefisher:

--- Quote from: travisj88 on Feb 05, 2008, 01:31 AM ---I have never spearfished before so my question might sound stupid, but here goes.  The handled of your spears look like they are metal.  If they are don't they slide in your gloves making them difficult to get a good jabbing action and if you don't use gloves don't you get frostbite?  Just curious.
Travis

--- End quote ---

Not a stupid question.  I always spear out of a heated shanty so I don't have to worry about wearing gloves or getting frostbite.  I don't hold the spear very long.  I lean my spear against the side of the shanty, then when a pike comes into view, I grab the spear and slide the head and about 2-3 feet of the spear into the hole.  Once I have a good sight on the pike, I release the spear.  So I am only holding my spear for a few minutes.  Hope this answers your question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version