Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

walleye depth for tip ups

<< < (2/3) > >>

camo_fish:
Walleye 9.5 out of 10 will be on bottom. So fish 2" to 12" off bottom for wallies. There eyes are set more on the side of there head so they don't see up very well, mostly to the front and side of them. And are mostly always on bottom.

bomshack:
I put a weight on the hook and then while holding the spool from turning I put the tip-up in the hole. Slowly let the weight down. When it hits bottom I wind it back up a couple of turns. Then while holding the spool still again pull the tip-up out and mark your line with a small split shot. When done this way I'm fishing a couple of inches off the bottom and can reload a tip-up fast and consistant.
 Sometimes I'll set one up so that I'm down only half way to the bottom. If I get flags on it I'll adjust others higher.

eyedoktr:
years ago when I used to use tip-ups, I usually had them in shallow (<6') water. I would always have at least one just off the bottom and at least one, a foot or so under the ice. I caught as many on the high ones as I did the ones on bottom.

JT:
During the day,1-1.5 ft off the bottom in deep water.
Night-2-3ft off the bottom deep semi and shallow as they tend to feed a little higher in the evening cruising and hunting.

Fishinut:
I don't know if this thread is dealing with tipups os jiggin. Jigging is much easier to control depth, but with tipups most of the time I am using live bait. I use 3 foot leaders and have my weight on my main line. If I put the weight on the bottom that would still allow the bait to reach 3ft+/- off the bottom. Does anyone put the weight on the leader? Can a larger fish (walleye or pike) feel a heavier weight, taking this into account what size weight do you use? For trout I don't use much weight because I am usually fishing just under the ice and I strongly believe the smaller fish(trout and panfish excluding lakers) can feel and weight bigger than an 8th or a quater. So in this case I use 1/16-1/8. Are there any affects of putting the split shot on the leader to give the bait a smaller radius to swim in. I am just afraid of over doing it with the weight by putting something heavy close to the bait and pinning it less the 2ft off bottom? What are your views on this? Heavy weight for pike and eyes because they can't feel a thing or are they more sensitive then I think they are. Thanks for the help - Fishinut

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version