Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

walleye depth for tip ups

<< < (3/3)

trapdaddy21:
first off i would never put a steel leader on a tip-up i plan to walleye fish. i usually put a swivel at the end of my heavy line then attach 6 or 8 # mono like vanish. if your just fishing for pike than a leader is a good thing if you get into some big gators. i wouldn't be afraid to put sinkers on the leaders. northerns will most likely not know the difference, since they are not a finicky as walleyes. it is actually a good idea to put your sinkers relatively close to the hooks (5-6") because they will keep your minnow where you want it. i like to set up for eyes around a foot off the bottom.

Hijinks:
I usually target weeds or sand flats with changing depths. In fact, usually just prior to dark, I often catch numerous nice pike (and occasionally get bit off!) while fishing these same areas. If you hit these spots on a dark, overcast day, you can catch walleye here consistently, plus an occasional pike. The walleyes usually move in at dawn and dusk, although on cloudy days they can be caught here, too. I locate these weed beds in the summer with my boat and electronics, then mark them on the lake map for winter use. However, a Vexilar flasher or Aqua-Vu can also be used to find the weeds, and in a pinch, so can a clip-on depth finder lowered down to the lake floor. The most important thing is to keep moving until you locate the weeds or flats, then cover the area with your tip-ups accordingly.

These areas will hold walleyes all season long, but first ice is especially good. I recommend setting up well before dawn or dusk, in order to let the area calm down after the noise of the power auger stirs things up a bit. These clear water 'eyes can be spooked easily, so stealth is critical to success. Give this pattern a try on a deep, clear walleye lake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version