Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Fishing near permanent shacks?

(1/11) > >>

mzhoward:
What’s the maine unwritten rules about fishing near permanent ice shacks?

I specifically mean if you show up and they are in occupied.  They generally sit on the bet spots, especially in warm water lakes and ponds, right over the honey holes.
Mia it okay to set traps near them? How about around them?

I’ve always avoided them or stayed to one side, but I’ve been tempted to sit right next to one and fish in all directions.

meandcuznalfy:
Really, let me know where your fishing and I'll come sit in your lap, about one of the most ignorant statements I've seen.

Wago14:
Shacks do not claim spots on the water. There is not an issue with fishing around an unoccupied shack at all (personally I would not completely crowd one)

With that being said I would be willing to move to a side a bit if they showed up, courtesy and respect go a long ways and it is a good way to meet new fishing buddies as well. The other thing to consider is the closer you are to some ones shack, the more likely someone is going to be a bit uneasy in todays world where a$$hats steal and break into other peoples shacks.

PIKE FISHERMAN:

--- Quote from: mzhoward on Jan 24, 2023, 07:02 PM ---What’s the maine unwritten rules about fishing near permanent ice shacks?

I specifically mean if you show up and they are in occupied.  They generally sit on the bet spots, especially in warm water lakes and ponds, right over the honey holes.
Mia it okay to set traps near them? How about around them?

I’ve always avoided them or stayed to one side, but I’ve been tempted to sit right next to one and fish in all directions.

--- End quote ---

I look at this several ways. If its a dumpster fire of a pond, with heavy pressure, all the time, Ill set up a little closer to a shack in some cases. If I have the ability to set elsewhere, I will. I have a distance I try to stick to, 50-100 ft is my personal limit on a very popular lake. Only broke it a handful of times in my 20+ years of ice fishing. If its a large, less pressured lake,I  personally don't want to be that close to people, and see no reason set up around them. I ice fish to get away from people, not set up close enough to hear their conversations. Ive have many people over the years pack up and set right next to me because I was catching more fish. Im not one to make much of a scene, especially nowadays with all the crazy, unstable people running around. Don't want to get in a fire fight over a fishing spot. Just my .02.

mzhoward:
Oops, original post should have read “if they are unoccupied.”

I am way too insecure to get within 50 yards of someone else’s set up.

Besides, I got enough kids already trying sit in my lap so I can put their mittens back on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version