Canada > Ice Fishing Alberta CA

Pigeon - what can be said...

(1/1)

SNAPFisher:
Spent 7 days, yes 7 in a row on Pigeon.  Zero whites to show for it which is what I'm really targeting.   Caught a number of walleye in the 45 - 50 cm mark.   I do have tags for 2 over 50 still.  Did find a spot where I found all 5 species - Perch, Burbot, Pike, Walleye and WhiteFish.  Whitefish showed no interest... boourns!!

Tough lake for sure but I'll still keep my chin up.  I know if I quit targeting the whites I could do better on all the other species but I'm no where near ready to give up on those huge fighting machine tanks.

btw, the two burbs I saw were at least at and likelyl over 10 lbs...that was exciting for sure.

Shotgun:
it's the size of those Pidgeon whites that keeps a guy going back. 

Sure would be nice to ice one of those heavty burbots. 

SHOTGUN

eyeflyer:

--- Quote from: SNAPFisher on Jan 03, 2023, 09:55 AM ---Spent 7 days, yes 7 in a row on Pigeon.  Zero whites to show for it which is what I'm really targeting.   Caught a number of walleye in the 45 - 50 cm mark.   I do have tags for 2 over 50 still.  Did find a spot where I found all 5 species - Perch, Burbot, Pike, Walleye and WhiteFish.  Whitefish showed no interest... boourns!!

Tough lake for sure but I'll still keep my chin up.  I know if I quit targeting the whites I could do better on all the other species but I'm no where near ready to give up on those huge fighting machine tanks.

btw, the two burbs I saw were at least at and likelyl over 10 lbs...that was exciting for sure.

--- End quote ---
I contacted a senior biologist in Edmonton about Pigeon Lake and he said from the fall collection the numbers are down for Whitefish, he believes in big part to a die off from the heat the last 2 years. He also said that fishing will improve over the next couple months as the water warms to the bottom of the lake. This is the graph he sent me for Whitefish numbers over 30cm. Orange blocks are average.

SNAPFisher:
Thanks for this!  Really great information.  Amazing how much the average has dropped from the previous three data points to the latest 3.   2020 was a "banner" year out there.  Since then it has bee desolate. 

I won't quit for sure.   Looking forwards to future stocks.  I hope they will consider stocking of whites at some point in the future.

eyeflyer:
I don't remember the years they closed the netting of the  lake for 3 years because of over harvest of walleye from the netting but I am guessing it was in that 2007-2010 range. The heat is doing some damage for sure last year was the lowest numbers in almost 20 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version