Author Topic: New to Il, new to Ice Fishing  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Airsick1972

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Il, new to Ice Fishing
« on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Hey all!
First post!

Moved here from FL a few years ago and love fishing. Last few years I’ve hung up my rods when winter hits but this year I went out and bought some ice fishing gear.

I’ve read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos- but still don’t feel 100% like I know what I’m doing.

Does anyone know of any groups in or around DuPage county? Or how I can find a fishing partner to learn the ropes?

Thanks all! H

Offline hmart316

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New to Il, new to Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Hi Airsick,

I was the one who mentioned posting here from your reddit post. Are you close to Hoffman Estates, North of Dupage County? I have a friend in Chicago who attended their parks department ice fishing classes.  Some of the classes are free and others are like ~$10 to ~$12. According to my friend they are informative and give you all the equipment you need for the 1 hour session. Might be worth your time going to one of those classes if its not to far for you.

https://www.heparks.org/outdoor-programs/

hmart316

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 01:26 PM »
Hey all!
First post!

Moved here from FL a few years ago and love fishing. Last few years I’ve hung up my rods when winter hits but this year I went out and bought some ice fishing gear.

I’ve read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos- but still don’t feel 100% like I know what I’m doing.

Does anyone know of any groups in or around DuPage county? Or how I can find a fishing partner to learn the ropes?

Thanks all! H

Wish you were closer to me I would show you the ropes and teach ya some things. I'm in Rochester NY area if you ever decide to come out this way hit me up I'll take you out and show you some things
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2022, 10:49 AM »
just start watching youtube content.  i will say get yourself a flasher if possible.  it really makes the transition a ton easier for those mostly used to open water fishing.   

Offline Airsick1972

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 07:48 AM »

Wish you were closer to me I would show you the ropes and teach ya some things. I'm in Rochester NY area if you ever decide to come out this way hit me up I'll take you out and show you some things

I used to go to ROC all the time for work. Beautiful place!!

Offline Arquero3d

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2022, 08:58 AM »
Welcome to the site, and welcome to ice fishing!  If you find yourself downstate, I always have an open seat!

I second the notion of investing in a flasher!

If you are just trying to get your feet wet, $100 gets you an auger and some cheap poles.  Next save like crazy for the flasher.  Then, you will be a junkie like the rest of us and spend all your $ on equipment upgrades! ;D

Fisher of Fishermen

Offline BDL123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2022, 01:20 PM »
I’m in the area and have a private place for fishing. I have all the gear and would be willing to take you when we have safe ice.  Let me know if you are interested

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2022, 01:52 PM »
I'm not in your area but would like to throw some love out to da vet slushies who threw out da invites to da greenhorn.
Straight Lines to ya !!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2022, 07:12 AM »
Forecast is looking pretty good for fishable ice on small ponds by mid to late next week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.