Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

".... Penobscot River restoration efforts may benefit both salmon and seals"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Anomaly:
There was a de-acidification study done in the Machias River watershed a few years back. It showed good results with PH levels. They used clam shells from area shucking houses. Insect larva, like stone and mayfly, increased and so did fry survival. Whole clam shell was places along several stretches of stream bed. Literally, those hundred of pounds of shell dissolved over a 6 month period. It has been estimated it would take ALL the clam shell produced buy shucking operations in all of Maine just to help the PH in then Machias system alone... Then... I heard there was some kind of environmental issue concerning the possibility of biological contamination resulting from using the clam shell... One scientist I know said there is nothing in clam shell that can effect any harm, biological or otherwise, in a non marine environment, especially since the shell had been completely dried. This info Is from people I work with on shellfish issues.

grub662:

--- Quote from: clamfarmer on Mar 18, 2022, 04:08 PM --- Ummm Yeah... Early settlers speared them for fertilizer and just wasted many thousands... Damns killed spawning runs..... log drives wiped out river bottom spawning areas, mass deforestation created high levels of silt in runoff AND high degrees of acidification and nutrification~ so much so that insect life that fry depend on for food is gone in many areas... Acid levels are so high in many areas, like the Machias River watershed, clam shells dissolve completely within 6 months...... BUT SURE!!!! BLAME THE SEALS....

--- End quote ---

Oh my! Off topic and emotion filled rant. Are you ok? PH off a little?

grub662:

--- Quote from: clamfarmer on Mar 18, 2022, 04:19 PM ---There was a de-acidification study done in the Machias River watershed a few years back. It showed good results with PH levels. They used clam shells from area shucking houses. Insect larva, like stone and mayfly, increased and so did fry survival. Whole clam shell was places along several stretches of stream bed. Literally, those hundred of pounds of shell dissolved over a 6 month period. It has been estimated it would take ALL the clam shell produced buy shucking operations in all of Maine just to help the PH in then Machias system alone... Then... I heard there was some kind of environmental issue concerning the possibility of biological contamination resulting from using the clam shell... One scientist I know said there is nothing in clam shell that can effect any harm, biological or otherwise, in a non marine environment, especially since the shell had been completely dried. This info Is from people I work with on shellfish issues.

--- End quote ---

Geesh so much emotion and off topic. I thought this was about salmon and seals. PH man PH.

V Menzone:
My ex was an Alaskan native her family would hunt seals and otters not the best eating but they controlled the population well

Anomaly:

--- Quote from: grub662 on Mar 18, 2022, 05:25 PM ---Geesh so much emotion and off topic. I thought this was about salmon and seals. PH man PH.

--- End quote ---
Not at all... The study is about  "... multi-species or ecosystem-based approaches to management have great potential for widespread benefits, from fish to seals and even human residents and visitors to the region,”   YOUR input is emotional and off topic ireelavent and utterly unstudied. . Humans caused the heavy decline of salmon and the general overall ecosystem. I stated the reality of what has happened to the salmon to bring them to where they are now. The study showed how there might be solutions on a larger level, not the 2 dimensional myopathy of grub662. Clam down and do something learn the big picture and real facts, not just your emotional knee jerking kill lust!  I know, if all you have is a hammer(head) everything looks like a nail... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version