Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Sabattus and more declined heavily

(1/10) > >>

icetwandrer:
Checked out sabattus for the day, it's been a few years and I've heard it's declined but it's really bad now, I just don't understand that if a pond is known for a certain specie and it's brings revenue to local bait shops and the state, why do we because someone says so insist on killing every fish that comes top side, I released a couple small pike in front of a local and he just about ripped my head off for it, said he kills 100's out of there every year just for fun because they don't belong, I get it , pike suck in certain waters but there here and there fun as hell in the right water, our biologist need to educate (us and themselves) a little better  and not just say there's no limit so kill everything , and it's not just sabattus it's alot of waters in our state that are going to hell for the wrong reasons ,   :tipup: tightlines.

Anomaly:

--- Quote from: icetwandrer on Feb 23, 2022, 05:56 PM ---Checked out sabattus for the day, it's been a few years and I've heard it's declined but it's really bad now, I just don't understand that if a pond is known for a certain specie and it's brings revenue to local bait shops and the state, why do we because someone says so insist on killing every fish that comes top side, I released a couple small pike in front of a local and he just about ripped my head off for it, said he kills 100's out of there every year just for fun because they don't belong, I get it , pike suck in certain waters but there here and there fun as hell in the right water, our biologist need to educate (us and themselves) a little better  and not just say there's no limit so kill everything , and it's not just sabattus it's alot of waters in our state that are going to hell for the wrong reasons ,   :tipup: tightlines.

--- End quote ---
I have to totally agree! People come form over 100 mile away to fish there. I DO think taking some fish is good for a healthy fishery and big fish, but not wanton slaughter for some kind of killing lust... The pike aren't going away. They free spawn in open weed beds without any kind of nest or bed. They are apex predators, too, that keep the pan fish in there big and healthy as well. It's an amazing fishery ~ A famous fishery and one that seriously feeds the local economy. I don't get it. Meanwhile, there are sooo many lakes and ponds that do not support cold water species/salmonids. There is a place here for species like pike. I don't fish them as I guess I caught som many as a kid along with bass... But they are a worthy game fish, worthy of some respect and, dare I say, management...even if voluntary like catch and release.

nbourque:
Sabattus is an absolute joke. Most of the ppl who fish there aren’t too bright either. Once the state takes the blinders off their eyes maybe they’ll manage some of these pike waters into trophy fisheries. Prob won’t happen in my lifetime though.

Outdoorsman70:
I agree 100% more and more lakes and ponds are going down hill the state needs to really take notice and listen to sportsmen the people that actually see whats going on .

Jim_C.:
There are MANY reasons why the fisheries are going downhill in Maine.  Too much land clearing and development in the wrong places, lack of political will to enforce laws, tons of sediment in run-off, oil spills all over the place (I cleaned them up for 25 years), low $ for fisheries management and the wrong focus for what money there is, etc., etc.  The pike mania gave people something to demonize and blame, taking the easy way out rather than facing reality. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version