Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

Best depth for walleyes

<< < (2/4) > >>

walleye4:
Would the tactics mentioned in prior threads work for Saugeye?  I have problems catching Saugeye on tip-ups!  Don't know what I am doing wrong!  I keep the bait near the bottom and use different sizes of minnows!  I have only managed 1 saugeye on a tip-up in 2 years!  I can catch them on artificials though!  I target the eyes in 15-32 ft of water.  I can pull a tip-up out and 10 min later hit the same hole with a Nils-Master and catch eyes!  Can't figure it out!  What am I doing wrong?  Hope to get it figured out before the ice gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esox:
I generally fish about 12-18" off the bottom during the day. As said before the drop offs near deep water are key. However, when night fishing for walleye I will run my bait 4-8' off of the bottom. The reason for doing this is simple...at night walleye will silhouette the bait against the light that comes through the ice at night (yes even dark nights). If you run your baits 12" off the bottom, the walleye will be much less likely to see you bait. If fishing at night you will get many more hits if you run your baits up off of the bottom.

Bigjoe:
8) ;) up here in northern ontario, 6 to 9 feet of water, bait is about 1 to 1.5 feet off bottom, using shinners. Now in deeper lakes like nippising, 20 to 35 feet of water and just off bootom. good luck bro

blazen36:
Depends on the bait you are using. In lakes where shiners are the natural forage I fish a foot or more off the bottom. If suckers minnows are muds are the natural forage I fish sucker minnows 3" lor less off the bottom. Old timer once told me if they are looking for forage on the bottom you better put in there.  My catches tripled once I started fishing that close to the bottom.

bluecaddisfly:
Hey Walleye4, sounds to me like the fish you are not catching on tip-ups but catch on lures are probably more aggressive and are not being triggered by your tip-up bait.
If you are using a Polar tip-up or other conventional tip-up, try a Windlass tip-up that will impart a jigging action to your bait, that could help, plus it's good to have a Windlass kicking around for Lakers and Northerns. Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version