Author Topic: Keweenaw, Huron Bays 2021  (Read 10465 times)

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keweenaw, Huron Bays 2021
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:12 PM »
See some ice in the head of K bay and up a ways on Huron on MODIS imagery today. Did most of that happen just last night or the last couple of nights? Anyone fishing yet? Hopefully it sticks around through the warm up this week so it can build with the cold weather coming next weekend. I'm itchin' for the big lake, eh

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keweenaw, Huron Bays 2021
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:23 PM »
Mainly happen over night on kbay yesterday there was open water and chunk ice when I drove by at around noon. Someone did say there was a guy out there today but I didn't drive that way today so Idk.

I'm hoping it sticks around for a little bit I would love to hit the big water.

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:25 PM »
The ice in Huron has been there for a while. I went to skanee a few weeks ago and there was ice all the way up to mouth of the Ravine where it transitioned to open water.
I’ve been addicted looking at the satellite imagery to try and see how Kbay is doing. I’m praying to get a decent season this year.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for the info! I'll be hoping that that ice sticks around, too.
I live far enough away that it's not worth it for me to drive up there and have a look myself, so I've been watching the imagery, too.  With the blanket of clouds we're always under it's hard to get a good peek! So I appreciate the info from you guys with actual eyes on it.
I did notice the ice at the base of Huron a while ago, but looks like it just recently moved up. I've only ever fished that off of the Skanee public launch, which probably isn't ready yet?

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2021, 01:14 PM »
It may be, I’ve talked to a fair amount of people on kbay and there were mixed ice reports from 1.5-4” depends on where you’re at. Be careful out there guys and get some fish!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Thanks, dilly. I'll probably head up next Monday or something like that, should be a couple more cold nights by then so assuming it doesn't break up then hopefully I'll be able to fish!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:48 PM »
Maybe not, looks gone on today's imagery, no?

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:22 PM »
It could be clear, dark ice as well. Who knows
I’ll check it out later this week after class/work

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Maybe not, looks gone on today's imagery, no?

I'll let ya know tomorrow i work in baraga and will be driving right by it.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Ice is still there around the head of the bay and up towards the campground. A couple guys wee casting off of squaw Beach on my lunch break.  I didn't go down lanse side but did see atleast one shack on the lanse side.

Baraga side  there was a couple guys out by the smelt grounds this morning when I went to work. And 4 or 5 off of the red rocks plus a couple off of Irenes. On my way home there was a guy just to the north of the baraga marina and 3 shacks off of the water treatment plant in baraga and one at the head of the bay off of the red rocks.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Sweet! just needs to hang on at the edges for a few more days then it'll be nice and cold!

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I heard someone was in the whitefish hole and felt the ice move up and down under him. Stay close in

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Thinking of trying at the head of the bay tomorrow. How’s the ice conditions and the fishing?

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Let me know what you find! Sounds like a good amount of snow might get dumped on the ice tomorrow and Friday. Still plan to head up Saturday.

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2021, 10:59 AM »
was on huron bay last weekend saturday. maybe 12 shacks out there total. 4 inches of ice. we got a 30 inch walleye one burbot and several very nice lake trouts. there was 5 shacks on k bay right off the falls river on our ride home.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Awesome, glad you got on the ice and had some luck! Did you access at Skanee or somewhere else?

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:36 AM »
I’ve never fished Huron bay, but I’ve been really impressed with the mixed bag of fish you can get over there. I’ll probably hit it up soon but the cold weather doesn’t motivate me to get out 😂

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:01 PM »
I'll still get out, but I'm not thrilled to pull my shanty and a full propane tank (plus everything else) through all the snow we just got just to stay comfortable!

Guess I can'tbcomplain too much, just happy to have the opportunity to get on Superior.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Anyome get on the ice today? Still thin enough to spud or do I need to lug my honkin' auger?

Offline coregonus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2021, 08:28 PM »
I drove past and there’s a lot less ice than before the wind. There’s no ice in front of the Falls, but there was one guy pulling a sled in near the red rocks. The Baraga half of the bay had ice. I might try Huron this weekend instead, but I don’t know how the ice is there.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:18 PM »
Thanks for the update. Wondered what the wind might do to the ice. Figuring / hoping that ice at the head of the bay will stick around. I'll try off willow tree tomorrow, and avoid Baraga side with a west wind if there's open water for the ice to blow into, ha.

I'll be curious what you find up at Huron. Hoping to hit that up next weekend. Ice looked pretty well locked in up past Skanee on the latest imagery before the storm, but ya never know!

I'll report back tomorrow night with what I find.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Was in about 35 feet of water off the willow tree. 6'' or so of ice. Lots of wind-packed snow and some slush which made the sled pull pretty rough. Didn't stay long, got real paranoid about the ice blowing away.

I'll give it a try again on Monday when there's not a gale warning, ha

Can see on imagery from today but most of the east side of the bay is open water. Might stay that way if the wind doesn't calm down!

When I drove in there was a group of shacks out from Irene's, a couple off red rocks and one other off willow tree, one guy off the marina without a shack. Pretty much everyone was off the ice by the time I left.

Offline Brewknowlski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2021, 10:17 PM »
What kind of depths would you fish for Lakers in Huron bay? I’ve had good luck in 120-150 ft. But looks like that won’t be doable as I’m headed up in about a week. Thanks!

Offline Da Burbs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

Been coming down that last few years to fish Burbot. Looking at coming down saturday night. How are the ice conditions over on the baraga side right now? Safe fishable ice south of the marina??

Thanks for any insight....

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Hey Guys,

Been coming down that last few years to fish Burbot. Looking at coming down saturday night. How are the ice conditions over on the baraga side right now? Safe fishable ice south of the marina??

Thanks for any insight....

Today there was 5 or 6 shacks off of baraga marina. I counted 15 trucks parked between the red rocks and the willow tree.

I don't know ice thickness as I haven't been out yet I am thinking of giving it a try tomorrow.

I do have a few questions about burbot tho. What depth are you planning on setting up in for them. I figured your just bouncing bottom with jigs and cut meat right?

Offline Da Burbs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Hey trapper. Thanks for the response. We are heading down tonight to give it a try. Typically we target around 30 feet. Yep cut bait on glow spoons pounding bottom!

Will give report tomorrow on ice and results!

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2021, 08:30 AM »
I'll be up this afternoon, gonna head off Willow Tree I think, and I'll probably give the ol' burbot a try for an hour after dark, too!

Good luck out there

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:28 PM »
I’ve seen people get burbot at the willow tree, but I’ve done best for them in 35-40 ft off the baraga dock

Offline Dillyb123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2021, 09:42 AM »
6-8” at the head of the bay. Lost a brown by the hole and one smelt so far

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.