Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Walleye

Time to experiment?

(1/3) > >>

Iceassin:
So...I have a bunch of round lead head jigs (various colors) in 3/4 to 1 oz. that I use for jigging Walleye in the spring that I'm considering trying through the ice. Maybe tie on a small Hali or other flash just above it. Thoughts?

esox_xtm:
Nothing wrong with that. My only concern is they might be a bit heavy unless you're fishing very deep water. Or on some really big 'eyes  ;D. I use 3/8 to 1/2 in the spring to counter heavy current in rivers but open water heaviest I go for live bait is 1/4. My rule is usually go as light as you can go and still maintain lure control. Swimbait and snap jigging might go 3/8 or a little heavier but that's a little different. As long a you got 'em no harm in playing.

I'm always playing with different stuff. Sometimes it someone else's idea, other times it's my pea brain workin' overtime. Some work, some don't but it's always an education  ;)  I've discovered some really cool things over the years..

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Sep 29, 2019, 08:28 AM ---So...I have a bunch of round lead head jigs (various colors) in 1/2 to 3/4 oz. that I use for jigging Walleye in the spring that I'm considering trying through the ice. Maybe tie on a small Hali or other flash just above it. Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Back hook a minnow and dead stick them

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Sep 29, 2019, 09:29 AM ---Nothing wrong with that. My only concern is they might be a bit heavy unless you're fishing very deep water. Or on some really big 'eyes  ;D. I use 3/8 to 1/2 in the spring to counter heavy current in rivers but open water heaviest I go for live bait is 1/4. My rule is usually go as light as you can go and still maintain lure control. Swimbait and snap jigging might go 3/8 or a little heavier but that's a little different. As long a you got 'em no harm in playing.

I'm always playing with different stuff. Sometimes it someone else's idea, other times it's my pea brain workin' overtime. Some work, some don't but it's always an education  ;)  I've discovered some really cool things over the years..

--- End quote ---

I was thinking same thing...a little lighter...1/4 to 3/8. I fish the Detroit River in the spring and 1 oz. is almost a must off back of the boat because of the current. On calm days a guy can get away with 3/4...from the front of boat. I like the ball jigs because they are cheap and I have a few Halis already so I say...why not.

slipperybob:
Akin to like a bass drop shot rig but it's nothing new.  I pick up old tossed jigs on the banks or save my worn out jigs when hooks have become useless.  I use them like weights and have my actual lure about a foot above it.  Even the small ones, when I'm just looking for a little more weight. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version