Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

spear handle options

(1/3) > >>

DR.SPECKLER:
ok so I have a nice new amish made spear but I'm a newbie and before i throw that and screw it up on a rock or bend the tines somehow I bought a cheap plasma cut spear head that needs a 1/2 handle welded to it.it was 28 bucks and I know its going to plane in the water but I'm spearing in 8ft or less.can I just get a 1/2 piece of rebar for a handle?not looking to put big money into this practice spear.rebar is available around here  6 bucks for a 20ft section.i haven't really seen any 1/2 smooth bar around over 3 ft long.

reproman:
I'm no expert on welding handles on, but I suppose it would work. I guess I wouldn't be afraid of using your Amish spear. It should be plenty durable. If you go in with the idea you're going to wreck it though, you probably will though ;). Just be careful of your depths if you happen to be over big rocks. If you happen to nick a rock, touch it up with a file. Good luck!

DR.SPECKLER:
I went with steel round stock but its only 48 inches and  with the spear head its 57 inches long.is that to short?i thought about putting a wood end piece on it but don't know how to fasten one on or what to use.probably have to be tapered for it to glide in the water.going to spray it all down with clear coat to some what slow the rust down.i think it will be long enough for a shallow water spear.

chilly-willy:
Rebar is fine...  if you want a wood handle if you got a wood lathe turn it to the shape you want..   epoxy it on maybe even put a few screws/bolts in it to hold it on?? I use 5 min epoxy for my rod handles so should be good enough for a spear handle.. just going to use more of it then a rod cause of bumps on the rebar.. like. A whole tube of epoxy.. do you have a welder to weld it on??  And if you got a welder you got to make a 7 tine perch spear if from michigan??  I made one with those twisted nails 7 of them in a piece of round stock  i drilled stright threw round stock.and welded nais in a vee pattern l.. .then welded a rebar handle on. The twisted nails prevent the perch from escaping the spear.. kind of like a barb.. only can use those perch spears on lake  st clair so keep it in mind.. to bad I gave that spear away guess it's time to make another..

DR.SPECKLER:

--- Quote from: chilly-willy on Jan 18, 2018, 03:26 PM ---Rebar is fine...  if you want a wood handle if you got a wood lathe turn it to the shape you want..   epoxy it on maybe even put a few screws/bolts in it to hold it on?? I use 5 min epoxy for my rod handles so should be good enough for a spear handle.. just going to use more of it then a rod cause of bumps on the rebar.. like. A whole tube of epoxy.. do you have a welder to weld it on??  And if you got a welder you got to make a 7 tine perch spear if from michigan??  I made one with those twisted nails 7 of them in a piece of round stock  i drilled stright threw round stock.and welded nais in a vee pattern l.. .then welded a rebar handle on. The twisted nails prevent the perch from escaping the spear.. kind of like a barb.. only can use those perch spears on lake  st clair so keep it in mind.. to bad I gave that spear away guess it's time to make another..

--- End quote ---
yeah my bud has the welder.thinking about the wood handle now.so I can lathe one out but whats a good wood that wont crack?im thinking epoxy and little countersunk stainless nuts and bolts because the rope will be easier to attach by drilling a hole in the wood handle than it is thru 1/2 smooth bar.that part needs to be secure so I don't send the spear to Davey jones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version