Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Difficult crappies. Hundreds of fish without mouths

(1/5) > >>

Fejery4491:
I'm a pretty new fisherman (and even more so new to hardwater fishing) and I've been having difficulties getting fish to bite. I'm setup in about 24 feet of water in a large lake. Probably marking 50-100 fish a night. Only getting 2-3 fish up an evening usually around 3-4 hours of fishing. The only thing I've gotten bites on is small jigs with a minnow. I've tried numerous other combinations of waxxies, all sorts of different colors, artificial baits, with no luck. It's worth mentioning that fishing pressure is pretty high on this lake and its nearly 6300 acres so there's plenty of room to move to a different spot but being as inexperienced as I am, I'm not really the best at fishing "honey holes" and there seems to be loads of fish where I'm at. Over the last 3 nights my wife and myself have gotten 10 crappies and every one we've pulled up has been between 11-13". I'm just stumped, any pointers from some of you more experienced guys? I'm ready to try just about anything!

hardwater diehard:
Could be Gills mixed in your batch ...they sometimes can frustrate  you as they may or may not bite but just mess with you  . Have you tried fishing above the fish ...the most aggressive will then have to rise to the occasion ...minnow heads pinched so as to leave a scent trail ...if done right some entrails should be dangling .... Hard to beat a glow lure ...white seems to work by me . Are you using a lantern ? Also tip downs work well ...mostly use them to decoy them in...set them high and close to your hot hole .

river rat78:
Are you using a spring bobber or paying attention to your line? I'm only asking because you can be getting bites without even realizing it. Anytime your line goes slack set the hook. Chances are it's a crappie. Bluegills will also do this at times.

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: river rat78 on Jan 30, 2016, 10:37 AM ---Are you using a spring bobber or paying attention to your line? I'm only asking because you can be getting bites without even realizing it. Anytime your line goes slack set the hook. Chances are it's a crappie. Bluegills will also do this at times.

--- End quote ---

Also with spring bobbers look for the "UP BITE"... ;)2

Fejery4491:
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm using those foam slip bobbers cut down a fair bit. Without some sort of bobber you'd never know a fish was on. It's extremely light bite. I'll setting up a new rod right now, I'll put a spring bobber on and see if that helps!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version