Author Topic: Ice reports  (Read 6430 times)

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice reports
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:18 AM »
i fished my favorite lake in gwinn yesterday.....its a good sized one   5 inches clear solid ice. under the 2 feet of snow.  NO slush either.....UNTIL you drill holes.....then about a inch and half of water.   i seen a guy fishing sporley  half way out like 4 days ago      i would say u can fish any lake in gwinn area  on foot!   good luck   tight lines!!

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:58 PM »
SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody know of anyone who has minnows yet?

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2009, 02:11 PM »
i fished sporely today with a couple buddies and did decent on the splake.  no keepers but they averaged 12-13 inches. there was 3 inches of good ice. i will be headed back there tomorrow morning. i got my minnows from gwinn bait n tackle. im sure gander mtn has bait by now.  big arn do you care to share which lake you fished?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:07 PM »
not my favorite one..sorry     ill share anything i know about any other lake!     its hard to find a lake in the gwinn area  that produces some nice walleye and monster perch and bluegill.      all i need now is to find some shiners  did u notice if the guy in gwinn has any shiners?

Offline backwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:37 PM »
gwinn bait and tackle will have shinners monday afternoon
backwoods

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:20 PM »
SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody know of anyone who has minnows yet?
I know gander has their minnows in now. Fished around gwinn today, things were pretty slow and cold! I'd have a few pics but my camera wouldn't turn on and I had to thaw my waxworms out in my mouth. Ice was 3-4" with a good 10"+ of snow on top, made things very wet and slushy. I have to work tomorrow but I'll be out again on sunday. Oh and btw, some idiot plowed the launch in at Little Shag...had to dig out 3 foot of snow to access but we made it in there anyways.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:17 AM »
i ended up buying the smallest suckers they had at gander.....there minnows were to small for me.  from what i been hearing  the guy who supplys the bait shops with shiners  doesnt want to deal shiners this year because  to many die  in transport.   i hope this is not true          in my favorite walleye lake  shiners seem to outfish everything else  bigtime

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:40 AM »
just keep rubbing it in about that lake of yours! haha

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:51 AM »
sorry woody......my friends would rip on me if i was to post the name of our favorite lake on the web!     if u did some research  for the species and area     u could probally figure it out

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I checked Otter Lk Yesterday morn & it was 1 poke with the spud. I Now Live within walking distance of the Lk so I will be checking it a few times a week & will let ya know when it becomes fishable ....Its wont be long Now  :tipup:

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Thanks Dave. :)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I checked Otter Lk Yesterday morn & it was 1 poke with the spud. I Now Live within walking distance of the Lk so I will be checking it a few times a week & will let ya know when it becomes fishable ....Its wont be long Now  :tipup:

DMT--I drove to Otter today and there was one guy out to the southof the launch in the bay where folks usually set up for first ice pike.  Honestly, I didn't think it would be close to solid and didn't take my spud but it felt solid enough.  BTW, I saw the guy catch one nice pike and think he had another on the ice before noticing the flag on the one I saw. 

Chassel Bay had 4" of white black mix with little snow on top. Guys will be on it this week.  I'll probably be there next weekend myself.
Chris Raymond

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Well I checked Otter Lk tonite & there was a Good 3in of Hard ice with about 2in of snow on top .....So Id say its safe enough to fish ...... BUT BE CAREFULL we got alot of icefishin ahead of us Id recommend walk with a spud & use your head

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Checked out a small lake in keweenaw county on the weekend.  There was about 2.5 inches of ice.  Should be much better by the weekend with these cold temps  :)

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I have to work tomorrow but I'll be out again on sunday. Oh and btw, some idiot plowed the launch in at Little Shag...had to dig out 3 foot of snow to access but we made it in there anyways.

Good luck to you Sunday browning13
Best get some one to push that crap out of the way before it plugs you off for good. That could be the plow guys plan after all...Show him who's in charge. Tight Lines to ya!! Rip N Lips

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Good luck to you Sunday browning13
Best get some one to push that crap out of the way before it plugs you off for good. That could be the plow guys plan after all...Show him who's in charge. Tight Lines to ya!! Rip N Lips
Yea I should have mentioned he plowed just the entrance of the access shut well beyond the edge made by the county plow trucks. There are usally some locals that help out and keep the access plowed whenever possible later in the season. I'll probably be out there in the morning so we'll find a way to get in one way or another.

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:40 AM »
has anyone been out to schwitzers yet?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:28 PM »
i know someone that went out there on the 20th and said there was about 4 inches of clear stuff under all the slop

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:11 AM »
gwinn lakes have 2 to 3" on most lakes
johnson has 2.5" (pike, bass, perch, lake trout, browns and splake)
west bass 2.25" (rainbow, splake, perch, bass, blue gill)
sporley 2" (splake, rainbow, browns, perch
little trout 2" (rainbow, bass, browns)
little shag 2" ( perch, blue gill, rainbow, splake)
big shag 2"(bluegill, pike, muskie, bass)
we made 1" + last night
will check more tomarow and let ya all know
backwoods

Backwoods- not sure where you got your species info from, but it's off. Johnson has no browns or Splake in it- it has Lake Trout and Brook Trout. Spoorly has no rainbows in it- it has Browns, Splake, and Lakers. Little shag has no splake in it. Big Shag, add Walleye and Perch.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.