Author Topic: How are you mounting your spinning reels?  (Read 4627 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
How are you mounting your spinning reels?
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:00 AM »
I recently bought a few St. Croix avid rods but they do not have the reel mounts that come with the combos.

I have used electrical tape on some other cheaper rods but there has to be a better way.

Any ideas?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: How are you mounting your spinning reels?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:08 AM »
If you stick with tape..I like Hockey tape more then electrical..it has a nicer grip.. you can also look into usinf the pull ties..then just snip off the excess

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 04:49 PM »
i use zip strips

Offline fallsonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2006, 05:00 PM »
If you stick with tape..I like Hockey tape more then electrical..it has a nicer grip.. you can also look into usinf the pull ties..then just snip off the excess
Hockey tape sounds like a good idea, but it seems that you can never trim the tie wraps perfectly flush.  Leaves a small piece of plastic to catch on your hand! You would probably have to tape over them,..so if you still have to tape , why use the wraps?

Good luck with the St. Croixs!  I have couple and love them.  They make a great rod.

Tighty lines!
     Steve   ><,))'>
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Get some silicone tape. It sticks to itself and thre is no adhesive residue. The bond becomes permanent after it is streched and sits for awhile. A little pricey but worth it.
Pete Lewis

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:25 PM »
If you can't cut the zip ties flush then just touch the cut end with a flame and it will melt it. Have been doing this for years as a mechanic 

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:28 AM »
If you can't cut the zip ties flush then just touch the cut end with a flame and it will melt it. Have been doing this for years as a mechanic 
i think your idea is excellent. thanks!!!

Offline A UPer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I recently bought a few St. Croix avid rods but they do not have the reel mounts that come with the combos.

I have used electrical tape on some other cheaper rods but there has to be a better way.

Any ideas?

Offline A UPer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:04 PM »

Any ideas?
  How about heat shrink tubing its clean ( no ends to snag and looks good to) I would think you could get some from a shop that does industrial electrical work I looked at 1 manufacturer just to see how big a diameter you can get they had up to 10".

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2006, 04:14 PM »
the electrical tape is a nice thought...until you see an expensive reel that came out of the slip retainer ring on one of my rods.....I used it to ensure it didnt move, and when my brother in law caught one of his few fish....snap or zip ties as they are referred to is the best way to go.....Grump

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Heat shrink tubing is my favorite....available from any electrical supply Cheap, clean and easy to apply with a hair dryer.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2006, 07:58 PM »
I only use jigging rods with reel mounts because it's just too much a pain to take on and off especially since I use my reels for several applications.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:20 PM »
im not sure i understand this. no reel mounts? by all accounts these are great performing , top of the line jig rods. so why wouldnt they put som reel mounts on them?
....there's lot of quality icefishing rods that dont have typical reel mounts...alot have collars that will accept the reel, but no locking rings we associate with softwater setups.....Grump

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Tape them on.  You can put the reel anyplace on the handle you like.  I like to put quite a bit of tape on to make a thicker handle. 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Been usin' electrical tape on rods for years. Everything from Ice jigging rods to custom Bass spin rods and never had ANY problems. The only downside I can see is that if you want to change reels, you have to unwind the tape and then re-tape the next reel back on.....WK :-\
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:43 PM »
electrical tape works great i like the idea of hockey tape/gripe tape  zip ties i dont know from what i was reading guys use them but when you cut off the ends they become sharp as razor blades in the cold so like stated before id suggest melting the ends a little :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.