Author Topic: The End?  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
The End?
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:47 AM »
It's not looking good over the next week. Temps in the 50s, rain...no bueno.

If it is the end, I can live with it. Yesterday I was fishing one of my spots with 6 Chinese guys from NY that love eating bass and crappies. A few weeks ago I helped them find the crappies and have seen them each weekend. About 2pm yesterday I had a flag go up just as the skies broke open and it started to pour. When I set up on it I knew it was a big one. I landed and weighed the 6lb 4oz bass and showed the Chinese guys as I unhooked it and released it. They were horrified. I was satisfied.
My mission is goin' fishin'.

Offline zackly

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The End?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Your good Karma was rewarded with that lunker bass! That you paid it forward by releasing it for another angler to enjoy catching means more good fortune in you future.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:59 AM »
If it is the end, a 6+ pounder is one heck of a way to end it! Good for you.
I wasn't able to get out this weekend, so I fear that my CT ice days are over for this year.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Great fish and nice to see it was released for another great day for someone else. And yes the ice was going fast yesterday. Started with 8" and by end of day lost 2-3"

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:57 AM »
They are forecasting the possibility of another cold wave at the end of the week. Looks like tomorrow night well below freezing, Cool on Tuesday barely above freezing. Hoping we don't loose too much. I had 9" here in Northern Fairfield county on Tuesday, I would think the edges are gone by now though.

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:53 PM »
hoping that I'll be able to get out on Tues - will be checking reports before that though

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:11 PM »
We should be getting more cold weather, heck it's only the 11th of February.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Not cold enough, mid 20s here and there might stabilize what’s left but won’t make a lot of new stuff. Eastern ct has probably lost too much. It was nice to fish close to home, looks like road trips now.Stay safe everyone >:(

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2018, 04:06 PM »
It's not looking good over the next week. Temps in the 50s, rain...no bueno.

If it is the end, I can live with it. Yesterday I was fishing one of my spots with 6 Chinese guys from NY that love eating bass and crappies. A few weeks ago I helped them find the crappies and have seen them each weekend. About 2pm yesterday I had a flag go up just as the skies broke open and it started to pour. When I set up on it I knew it was a big one. I landed and weighed the 6lb 4oz bass and showed the Chinese guys as I unhooked it and released it. They were horrified. I was satisfied.
Used to watch Chinese people under the verazanno bridge fish. If it came out of the water, it went home in the bucket. Had no idea people ate spider crabs
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Granby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Yeah, looks like its going to be a crazy week for weather. I'm looking at a weather report for Mansfield,CT that shows a 24 degree swing tomorrow, 57 degrees on Thursday falling to 19 degrees Friday evening. If this is true, the wind is going to be something. 

Offline GordonL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Congrats on that bass Capn Ez! Weather looks tough this week.

Offline Patb41982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:04 AM »
chinese people will now clean out the calico bass!!!!
soon all their friend will be there from NY to help with the clean up.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Headed for Champlain on Friday. 20-30" of ice up there.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:23 AM »
After Saturday night's splashdown it's all up north for me. Oneida coming up, then Moosehead.

Offline flukeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Great fish - I'm fine with releasing larries as I don't like their taste...and sometimes those 'old guys' deserve more life. (My buddy and I once released a 10-pound + plus fluke, with teeth worn down to nubs...of course nobody at the launch believed us.)  //  At least at Coventry lake and the NE waters, I think this is the end (just being realistic). Remember the sun is a lot higher, and this especially affects the shallow shoreline which soaks up the rays. And it's important to note the average daily temps - don't be fooled by cold nights. For me, I'm checking my spinning gear for some open water fishing...maybe even do some bobber fishing to use up the shiners.
Dave G.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Great fish Cap Ez!
Just add water.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:32 AM »
we have almost a foot on saturday on Twin, still plenty of time and ice

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:42 AM »
we have almost a foot on saturday on Twin, still plenty of time and ice

My friend's are on winch now with 9in to bad it's 7in of white ice and only 2in of black under that it's going to go fast with the warm days this week. It's not looking good for ct. I'm switching Focus to lakers up north from now on
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I dont think I drilled a single hole in CT ice this year.  Ed I was drivong on 2ft of ice all weekend...most of which didnt even make noise moving accross.  You know its strong when there is a ft of snow on top, you pop a hole near your 7500lb truck and water doesnt come up!   ;D

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Capn EZ were you on Candlewood.
I was on it Saturday and the placed
rocked the whole time I was there.
Caught over 30 perch and one nice
brown. Good luck at Champlain

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Gonna head out to west hill tommorow morning to check on the ice and hopefully fish.there was a foot of ice before the storm so it should be interesting what the rain did to it.checked a few places locally before work and some of the edges were beat up pretty bad but still able to get on the ice but the ice looked nasty.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:40 PM »
You should be ok.  The rain was unable to melt all the snow here in colebrook so I suspect West Hill should be ok.  Boat is ready and waiting should CT decide to have ice out early! 

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I'm standing in your driveway right now, with all my rods, my 50 pound Cabela's bag and a liter of Starbucks. Com on Jon, back that Yukon up and lets get that boat wet!

-Eric

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Thanks for the low down lowaccord.having snow on top of ice is like a double edged sword.it slows down the growth of ice but also helps insulate and absorb rain

Offline salttofresh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Was out on bantam today and the ice was still 6-8 inches thick. Edges were shot though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:40 PM »
I'm standing in your driveway right now, with all my rods, my 50 pound Cabela's bag and a liter of Starbucks. Com on Jon, back that Yukon up and lets get that boat wet!

-Eric

Soon!  There are some musky in Jersey we need to pick on in the boat once the ice is gone.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I hope those Jersey musky don't come with that Jersey accent. I need to start my plastic weld kayak repair project.

-Eric

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Not much future in CT heading to Oneida this weekend and hopefully George the following week.

Offline Capn Ez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Capn EZ were you on Candlewood.
I was on it Saturday and the placed
rocked the whole time I was there.
Caught over 30 perch and one nice
brown. Good luck at Champlain

Never got to Candy this year. Sad.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Not much future in CT heading to Oneida this weekend and hopefully George the following week.

Same basic plan here, Oneida this weekend if the weather is decent, then Moosehead into March.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.