Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Underwater camera
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:17 PM »
I've been looking at the Aqua View Micro 4.3 and the Vexilar Scout. I think that could be happy with either one. But before pulling the trigger, my concern is that with the water quality here in Central IA, how much could I really see say at 20'? I'm not thinking of using it in places of my Vexilar, but just to run down the hole to check on fish activity and structure.

So, for those of you that are using cameras, I would be interested in your views.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:45 PM »
I had an LX-9 a couple years back and found myself rarely using the camera because of the water quality here in IA. Depending on the lake or pond you might be lucky to see 5' around. Clearer water like Big Creek, Patoka I had decent luck locating structure that I didn't know was there with it but I decided it wasn't worth the extra weight and got rid of it.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:00 PM »
I had an LX-9 a couple years back and found myself rarely using the camera because of the water quality here in IA. Depending on the lake or pond you might be lucky to see 5' around. Clearer water like Big Creek, Patoka I had decent luck locating structure that I didn't know was there with it but I decided it wasn't worth the extra weight and got rid of it.

This is good to know. I suspect that instead of a camera I would better off updating my Vexilar.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:00 AM »
I find using the camera helpful. Very nice to drop down the hole to see fish and vegetation. Very helpful up at Clear Lake with yellow bass sitting in vegetation. One hole could be loaded and another hole 10' away wont have anything. Most of the bodies of water really clean up after the ice forms. I'm not saying its crystal clear but using any other time besides winter would probably be unproductive.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:54 AM »
I think it is situational based on where and how you fish.  I have tried two cameras and sold them both.  Always seems like a "must have" in November but when ice season hits I either forget it or take it don't want to mess with it.  If you fish places with decent water clarity and set up for extended periods of time I think you would benefit from a camera.  If you fish dingy water and / or are someone who likes to move a lot then I would question how much value you will get from it.  When I had the right water conditions and I took the time to set it up the camera was pretty cool.  Then there were the other times when I couldn't see anything, had to mess with the camera and my pole to see my jig, drilling an extra hole, another batter to maintain and charge, etc.  People either love them or sell them, no middle ground it seems.  If I were going to but one today based on my experience with the Recon 5 and the 3.5 inch Aqua View I would get a bigger camera like the Marcum / Vexilar that are flasher size.  It was nice to be able to put it in your pocket but those little cameras spin like crazy and the cords are so narrow they freeze to the ice like crazy.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Ditto

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Theres been several times already this winter that I wished I had a camera to see what exactly was below me... from "what are those lines" to "are these ALL little bluegills or are there crappies mixed in". I'm looking at the small auqa vu just to tuck in my flasher case to pull out when need to check something.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Theres been several times already this winter that I wished I had a camera to see what exactly was below me... from "what are those lines" to "are these ALL little bluegills or are there crappies mixed in". I'm looking at the small auqa vu just to tuck in my flasher case to pull out when need to check something.

This is the only reason why I ever want to use a camera.  Determining if it's all dinks down below would really help with efficiency, especially for a dude like me who can only go once a week at best.

Offline wallagator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:39 PM »
If you go to the lakes/ponds the IDNR has been stocking with trout they are a great tool to locate the schools of fish and if you have youngsters it keeps them entertained as well, like a video game! ;D

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:10 PM »
I highly recommend the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5.0 Pro. I have one and really like it, both for the quality of video and for how quick the reel feature makes line management when scouting. I tried out a bigger Aqua Vu but am not sure that I'm sold yet on bring another big bulky item along. I don't have any issues aiming my Micro; I do know that they made the line thicker in this version than other micro versions in the past.

Edit: I've used it in lakes of differing clarity this year, from crystal clear (you could see bottom 15' through the ice) to turbid and was always able to see something. In the turbid waters you are definitely limited to a small area and you will usually need to use the IR lights to see. I like to use the camera to find the weed edge to set tipups on and to confirm what I'm seeing on sonar.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:14 PM »
This is good to know. I suspect that instead of a camera I would better off updating my Vexilar.
what Vexilar are y’all using? If y’all decide to go with a AV, go to there website they have some really good deals on refurbished units. Now before you don’t want a refurbished unit a lot of times a unit gets bought by someone and they decide they don’t want it but they have to sell it as a refurbished unit. Still will get the warranty. Just an option!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:46 PM »
what Vexilar are y’all using? If y’all decide to go with a AV, go to there website they have some really good deals on refurbished units. Now before you don’t want a refurbished unit a lot of times a unit gets bought by someone and they decide they don’t want it but they have to sell it as a refurbished unit. Still will get the warranty. Just an option!
Keep it safe! JDL

I'm using a Vexilar FL8SE. Keep thinking that I would like an Fl18, but will probably stick with my 8. And thanks for the tip on refurbished units.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:57 AM »
I'm using a Vexilar FL8SE. Keep thinking that I would like an Fl18, but will probably stick with my 8. And thanks for the tip on refurbished units.
world of difference between the 8 and the 18! Just saying.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:28 PM »
world of difference between the 8 and the 18! Just saying.
Keep it safe! JDL

Yes I know, my buddy has one. If I fished for walleye and perch I might give it more thought. But for bluegill and crappie it works just fine.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:01 PM »
I have used the Aqua Vu Micro. It is alright but found that the camera would spin more than I thought it should.
 Not to steal your post but I would upgrade to a V

I would save the money of the camera and upgrade to a Vexliar 28 or equivalent.
Then learn all you can on the functions of the locator.
There is information on the net that is not in the owners manual that is very helpful
I have used Vexliar from the beginning ( when they were named Hondex) and still learning
 my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.