The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 5 inch strikemaster ?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
5 inch strikemaster ?
« on: Dec 05, 2011, 12:11 PM »
I bought an auger that was described as a used 5 inch strikemaster mora. This auger is probably around 15+ years old. It says mora on the handle, but the blade design is like a lazer ? At some point did strikemaster only make a mora which is now the same design as the lazer ? 

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 5 inch strikemaster ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011, 01:53 PM »
As far as I'm aware of a Strikemaster Mora never had blades even remotely resembling the Lazer blades. Years ago the Mora augers were made in Sweden and of better quality however those blades were still almost identical to the current Strikemaster Mora blades. A picture of what you have would help to clear up any uncertainty. Some of the older Mora augers had folding handles. Maybe someone did a switcheroo with the handle.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I believe the adjustable handle from the mora and the lazer are interchangeable.....

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I have the same StrikeMaster?/Mora that has the curved blades. You got a little gem there keep it and get the sweedish blades for it.

What exactly makes it so special ?

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:38 PM »
What exactly makes it so special ?

Nothing,  Except the screw was made in sweden.  I bought a new lazer 3 yrs ago and it cut worth crap.  Everybody here said it was chinese blades which it was.  Once I got new blades for free I still couldn't drill as good as an old mora.  So I contacted SM about it and they exchanged it for one of the few remaining screws made in Sweden.  crap's been great since then.   Point is don't buy strikemaster chinese crap whether it is blades or screw,,,,,,,
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Yep thats an older Lazer, probably 90's viintage. I have a Made In Sweden 5" Lazer that was made around 2004 and the label is different. If your sure its a 5" buy some 5" Lazer blades (the swedish ones) and bolt them on.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:36 PM »
sr73087..after looking at the pictures you posted ,I discovered that mine is the same as yours,strikemaster/mora.. curved blades..only it is a 6in..all these years I thought it said lazer on the handle..I had a spoon ,then a mora, then I bought the lazer,in the 90s..

Offline chefman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:20 PM »
After doing a search online for 5" Strikemaster power auger blades and coming accross this thread, I decided to revive it.  I purchased off of eBay a 5" Strikemaster Power Auger.  The blades on it say Sweden as well as the on the auger.  The blades are the curved type or the lazer as people are calling them.  What I have learned is that Strkemaster stopped making the 5" power auger about 6 years ago and then discontinued the blades a few years after.   I have searched everywhere for new blades and keep coming up short.  The blades are either to big or too small.  The one thing I haven't tried was a 5" hand auger blade.  Would they even work?  Here are a few pics.  Any help would be appreciated. :icefish:

Offline chefman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Just so I'm clear, you are running a 5"strikemaster power auger bit with 5" hand auger blades on a clam conversion?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:37 PM »
The difference between the Lazer hand auger blades and power auger blades are serrations on the cutting edge of the power auger versions. The hand auger blades will still work for a power auger.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Power auger blades are usually serrated for breaking up the ice.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline chefman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:06 PM »
                The power auger have a tapped hole near that color?
Yes it does.  It is identical to my 10".  Both fit on my old Magnum 3 Plus.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I have NOS LPD-6 PB Blades (serrated) if you think they will work. Got 2 sets.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.