Author Topic: I fish pro tip ups  (Read 8564 times)

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fish pro tip ups
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I saw these on-line and thought they might work well.  I'd rather play a fish on rod and reel than hand line.  Has anyone used them and, if so, what are the pros and cons?  Before I bought them I'd like to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.  Any help would be appreciated.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: I fish pro tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Show a picture or a link to what you're talking about.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:15 PM »
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:29 PM »
They use them on an uncut angling videos on YouTube, they seem pretty sweet, and fairly easy to setup. Would definitely beat hand lining, and you get to set the hook too unlike a jacker/slammer

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 PM »
That's what made them look so fun.  I do a lot of saltwater striper fishing with circle hooks and the one thing I miss most is the feeling when I set up hard on a fish.  It's the same deal when using standard tip up and hand line, it's just not the same.  I love jigging but also enjoy the ability to maximize my search capabilities five lines (in NJ) gives me and going with rod and reel would make it that much better.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:05 AM »
Good luck with them!

WS

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 PM »
I purchased one when they first came out. I hated it. Anyone in Northern, WI. that wants it can have it.   Go with the HT Ice Rigger. It's much easier to use and will work better. Most likely cheaper also.  I'm also thinking of modifying them so I can use my lighted tip up sirens on them for walleye. I used the sirens on my homemade slammers and they worked great.

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Rigger-with-Light_p.html

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:36 PM »
I got mine from FishUSA..

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I have also use for the past 2/3 years the Firststrike flag that you hook up right on your rods. I love catching big pike on light rods and it worked for me. I also use them in the summer for bank fishing for cats. They are a little trickier to set up than the Ice Rigger but they work. The only complaint I have about them is that they are made of mostly plastic and I broke a couple of them on a real cold day.

http://www.fishusa.com/FirstStrike-Bite-Indicator_p.html 

Here's the Shanty page of the 42" pike I caught with this set up.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=217049.msg2157470#msg2157470

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It gave me something to think about.  I'll probably try one out and if I do, I'll let you know how they work.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 AM »
hi bearbgone with the first strike bite indicator do you keep the bail open on the reel when you set it up and do you leave the bail open with the ht rigger can you use differt size poles with both of them      thanks
what is and what should never be

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 PM »
hi bearbgone with the first strike bite indicator do you keep the bail open on the reel when you set it up and do you leave the bail open with the ht rigger can you use differt size poles with both of them      thanks
  The firststrike flags I have used year around. In the fall I put them on my cat fishing rods for bank or boat fishing. I usually turn the drag real loose on them for pike and catfish. You can go with bail open if you put a rubber band on your rod just before the flag. The rubber band will not be detected by the pike or catfish. The trigger need just a small amount of resistance to trip.  They also have a tension adjustment on them. I set them according to my live bait. I will use up to 8/10" sucker so that is important.  The ice rigger you have an alligator clip and the further down the clip you hook your line, the tighter the tension. I do leave the bail open when using mine. As lone as the rod fits in the holder you can use it. You take the line close to the reel past the last eyelet and hook it in the alligator clip. After you have it clipped you open the bail.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:47 PM »
thank you bearbgone lots of good info i will try a ht rigger they look cool
what is and what should never be

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Old thread. But still have a question. Anyone using these? I'm curious if they are any good or just hype. Concerns are wind taking line w/ bail open & freezing up of the reels.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:14 AM »
I personally use the ht ice rigger. I don't like the attachments/bobber stop needed for this and other jig rod trip flag systems. The line jumping off the reel isn't as much of a problem if you use the right line. I use a super line like fireline and then use a leader. The problem comes when the hole freezes and the line doesn't go freely when it's hit. Which is a point that the ifish pro makes being a hole cover as well, but I think the bobber stop it uses has a bigger chance of freezing to the rig.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:52 PM »
I bought one a few years ago and it needed tweaking out of the box. The trigger needed shaving and works OK now... In some of the states I fish you are only allowed two line, so I picked it up so I could set it up and then jig my other line. Most of the time the jigging rod that I use on it is a small SHIMANO Baitrunner and it has been a great pairing. The unit is a pain if the weather is rough, but it is useable. I do think that it is a better choice for large game fish then chasing crappies, but again it does work for that also. The rod holding arm is not a impressive bit of engineering, but it does the job and has held up so far. I may some day work out a better trigger for it and the little "clips" that you use to set off the flag do "go down the hole" more than I like... Would I buy another? Yes, but I would only want one.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Just my two cents, but if that hole freezes over or the line freezes on the tip of the rod, the northern, walleye or whatever is going to drop the bait when the feel the slightest resistance.  Maybe try a tip up hole cover.  good luck.
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:35 PM »
I think regular tip ups were made for a reason, they work and the whole thing is underwater and out of the elements. All these cantraptions are made for bluebird days which we get very few of in No Minnesota.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.