Author Topic: New to me clam guide  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
New to me clam guide
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Grandson came over today and said he had been dumpster diving, and found something I would like. He junk picked a clam guide. The tent is full of holes and most of what's left is covered with chicken crap. All the poles work, even the zippers. It has ski's on the bottom, no holes in the tub. Going to look for a replacement tent this summer, and If I find one will install it on the new shack. [/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to me clam guide
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I messed up the pics, I'll try again

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Even in that condition you found a gem.  If you can't find a replacement tent anywhere I would look into buying some blue material at a fabric store and just sew large sections of material over the holes.  If you live anywhere near an Amish community I'd bet they could sew up a replacement tent with new material that would work great.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 01:00 PM »
You used to be able to get new canvas from Clam. I did it a few years ago.

Offline Blue heron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Mardens in Waterville has large rolls of vinyl sheet ,might be able to make patches using 3 m contact cement to hold it on 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02 AM »
You used to be able to get new canvas from Clam. I did it a few years ago.
clam does have a replacement tent, I'm also reading where a Clam nanook tent will fit the guide. I have all summer to get something for it. I use a fish trap pro now, but wished it was just a little bigger, this might be what I need.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:16 AM »
Well worth the price  ;)

You might want to check with a local tailor to see if they could make it usable.

I think the replacements from Clam are $100 or so.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:18 AM »
any upholstery shop can make a new tent for you.......
I am haunted by waters...

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Looks like she has been through a battery spill war and lost but can be replaced .

TD

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I haven't put the clam away yet, been sitting in it, doing some garage fishing. Took both seats out, then put one back right in the center, I think I'm going to like this as a one man shanty. Have thoughts of putting a sheet of plywood across the top with some hinged compartments to hold everything. May raise it up as high as the seat hight is now then put a seat from my smoker craft in a hole in one of the compartment lids.Found a new cover for $169.00 don't know about getting a new one, my sister sews and maybe I can talk her into a project.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2015, 08:30 PM »
seen one for sale today for cheap if you need details pm me   awesome pick a new top would look great too

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Had a dr appt. this morning so I didn't want to do too much, and get all sweaty. I took one of the conduit spreaders off because the small pipe was stuck inside the bigger one and wouldn't slide in and out, cleaned it up after getting it out, and sat for awhile thinking about where I would put things. Going with a 48in plastic gun case for my rods, it fits nicely inside as there's 52in of room. Found a 2 gal coleman water container that I was thinking of using for a minnow bucket but after setting it in the tub I think it's too big. I've use a 1/2gallon igloo water jug, but thought it was too small, what do you guys think, or use. Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I use the Plano 722 bait bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket ( tends to be less freeze ups)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/plano-722-bait-bucket?a=966543

and then have a bait puck for my rebaiting of tip ups / tipdowns and in my portable for fish heads for jigging  but I don't think they make that size any more

but this is an option

http://www.rapala.com/strikemaster/ice-fishing-accessories/bait-pucks-and-buckets/bait-bucket/RBBU.html?start=1&q=bait%20pucks%20%26%20buckets&id=11
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2015, 01:32 PM »
I have been using 1/2 gal coolers for minnows, each will hold 1 doz large minnows or 2-3 doz small minnows, no problem.

How's your rig coming along?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I found some nylon cloth at Joann's fabric shop a couple years ago that pretty well matched the Clam color. I made a travel cover for my Kenai out of it. I think you could make a new cover for your guide out of it if push comes to shove.

If you are worried about water repellency you could always spray it with tent spray.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I use the Plano worm and leech lodge 745  and 744

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2015, 05:11 PM »
Those chickens probably sold the rest of the gear on craigs list.......nice find.  Some great pictures there.....

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2015, 06:24 PM »
I have been using 1/2 gal coolers for minnows, each will hold 1 doz large minnows or 2-3 doz small minnows, no problem.

How's your rig coming along?
bart, if you're talking about my new to me sled in another post i've done nothing except think of things to do. I want to make a rack for the rear of the sled to hold my gas auger, also put a ram mount on dash for a phone, using the navionics app, or a gps.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2015, 06:35 PM »
That's what always takes the most time...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2015, 03:17 PM »
got a update on the guide?

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Those chickens probably sold the rest of the gear on craigs list.......nice find.  Some great pictures there.....

I have seen a number of mice chewed up clams on Craigslist in Michigan. This may be one of them that they could not get a buyer for so they dumpstered it

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jun 24, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Laying in the sun in florida right now, no thoughts of ice fishing, just cold beer

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jun 24, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Fla in the summer. I wouldn't even think of going there in the winter if there was no ice.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2015, 06:43 AM »
back home now, got a hay field lawn to take care of, gardens full of weeds, no fishing for awhile. I did look at some new tents for the guide. A guide tent for $169.00 also a nanook for $149.00, and a nanook thermal at $229.00. Anyone use a thermal, My clam pro isn't insulated, and I don't run a heater all the time I'm out,and never had condensation problems. Anyone use a thermal, and have pro's and con's about them.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2015, 07:51 AM »
threw the tent away today,nothing on it to salvage, took out the seats and rails. rails are rusty and don't slide real good, same with the tent frames. going to take seat rails apart and clean them up, same with the tent frame. haven't seen any sales on new tents, guess I'll order a new one from clam.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2015, 07:11 AM »
Took all the rods off yesterday, and removed the corner brackets that hold them. Looks like the chickens used one of the brackets for a roost, it's not very nice looking, needs some paint.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2015, 12:00 PM »
clam sells those brackets too for a fair price

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Cleaned up the frame using "mothers" aluminum polish, did a beautiful job shined them up real nice.missed out on a nanook tent a guy had for sale, going to a canvas shop to see what they will charge if they can make a cover. Clam still has guide covers for $169.99.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:43 PM »
great find maybe contact the local law enforcement agency see if it stolen? if any thing they may let you keep it. also try a canvas repair shop or a canvas seamstress like canvas craft or a awning shop...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Fla in the summer. I wouldn't even think of going there in the winter if there was no ice.

Don't knock it unless you have tried it .....  summer is the BEST time to fish down there. I just got back from 6 days of Everglades adventures ....  landed tarpon, snook, jack crevalle, jewfish, snapper and ladyfish.

Didn't land the 5 + foot long tarpon nor the two monster snook i lost .... but had a blast trying to land them  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.