Author Topic: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!  (Read 377456 times)

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:58 PM »
I know this topic has been posted before, but I'm getting ready to build a new sled so if anyone has any ideas they would like to share (with pics) if their ice fishing rigs, that would really be awesome!
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Let's see your ice fishing sleds!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:03 PM »
This is what farmers call in the industry a calving sled. I just added some round eye bolts to the sides, front and back so I can use bunjee cords to hold things down on top.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:03 PM »

That's my fully loaded calving sled.  I can stand the Clam 2000s on edge there if I need to.  I want to make a bit of a stand for my powerhead so that I can rearrange things a bit.  I've also been meaning to do something like the eye bolts VC used on his.  There are a few different sizes.

The beauty of these is that they are extremely tough and are made to be hauled around farm yards (hence gravel and such).  Now, mine hasn't seen as many miles as Slipbob's Jet Sled, I'm sure, but it will outlast most of the other plastic type sleds out there.

Another thing my wife thought of that we may try is applying ski wax to the raised "runner" areas to help it slip a bit better since I have trouble leaving the kitchen sink at home and it gets a bit heavy to pull.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:10 AM »
thanks for sharing your customizing plans that are both low cost and do the job. those calving and jet sleds are super but im gonna put skis on mine to save the bottom. thanks again guys.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:32 AM »

Basically, I bolted a heavy duty lockable box from Wally world onto a kids sled, added some rod holders on the outside, rod storage PVC tubes on the inside of the lid, some handles on the lid for moving it around, a comfortable rope to pull attached with hose clamps, and some brackets for my auger on top of the lid.  This box is sturdy enough even for my fat butt to sit on too.  I can't wait to see everyones sleds again.  I love this topic each and every year.  This is where we ice anglers can get very creative (this and shanty threads) and it's very interesting.  Keep 'em coming!

One word of wisdom...Just because it's a sled doesn't mean that you can ride it down the hill.  Trust me, I've tried it, and only idiots like me even think of such a thing.  The brackets grab ahold of the ol' doodads when you hit the bottom of the hill.  Yeah, everyone laughs and it's funny, but you sing like a soprano for weeks!   :pinch:  :sick:

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:20 AM »
FB, I remember that story and I tried that last year too. I still think your sled is the coolest.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I posted these pics awhile back, but we'll do it again. The sled is made out of 3/4" conduit and an old lawn chair. Folds up to fit in the back of the truck nicely. Holds my clam 2000, power auger and two buckets on the main frame. The front rod rack holds 5 jigin rods, while the rubbermaid container on the back holds the flasher, camera, tackle boxs, etc. Since taking the pics, I mounted tipup holders on the outside of the rubbermaid container that holds 10 tipups or extra rods. Got cheap ski's at the army surplus store which will get mounted on the runners.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:39 AM »
FB, I remember that story and I tried that last year too. I still think your sled is the coolest.

Thanks Pikeguy!  Byron, I can't wait to see your sled in person, it's very cool.

I was thinking about converting the PVC pipes to potato cannons for use against hole pirates and snowmobiles that harass us ;D
Kevin Wilson

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:00 AM »
Wow those are some great looking sleds, I'd post a pic of mine but it is just a factory, stock Jet sled...

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Mine isn't nothing fancy but still homemade and pulls good on ice and mostly good through snow...

I can fit everything I need and have also upgraded to the Buddy since this pic was taken  ;D

-WF.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Side

Front Topdown

Rear Topdown

Front

Under load.  ;)

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Here is a picture of my sled with my son chilling in Dad's spot.  ;D

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Bob, that last picture of yours is great....it's exactly how I picture what Santa would look like coming to my house!!!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:17 PM »
BobD - you must have the towing power of a Dodge Ram or something!  Holy schnikes that sled is LOADED!!! WOW!  Quite fancy too I must add!!!!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Bob, I said it last year and I'll say it again... I love your sled!
Kevin Wilson

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2005, 07:51 PM »
anyone ever tried riding their ice sled full of gear down a hill????

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:03 PM »
All I can say is don't do it, auger holders are a pain in the arse  :o
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:30 PM »

yup, worked great till i nailed a tree :-\

Offline Iron Chef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:52 PM »
vancan/thriller... can you help with locating an on line source for calving sleds, looks perfect thanks
Thanks for the Rapalas

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Iron chef, in Canada I used UFA or United Farmers Association. See if you have something like that around.

Offline Iron Chef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:15 PM »
is that like home depot.. :D practicly impossible to find the stuff you want sometimes
Thanks for the Rapalas

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:26 PM »
UFA is like a wholesaler for ranchers/farmers. Not sure whom you would contact in the U.S. but I know there would be someone there that carries them. Talk to a farmer or cattle guy they could tell ya. Maybe check in the yellow pages under farm supply stores.

Sorry, it's United Farmers of Alberta

http://www.ufa.net/

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:54 PM »
Mine came from Feed-Rite, another farm supply place...farmers can be pretty creative with inventions...the mother of necessity.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

camo_fish

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:00 AM »
yep we did that until we hit a little deep drain creek that crossed the path and we all went flying and my buddy ended up with a tree right between his legs.  :-\ And another guy hit his head on a tree, luckly didn't break the skin, but ended up with a headache for the morning.  :D

bigdave1018

« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:55 AM »
farm and tractor in fulton ny might have them. basspro in auburn ny has the jet sleds on sale. its around $ 40 tax included for the 54x24x10inch sled. hope this helps.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I can pull a pretty heavy load on it with little effort as long as the skis are waxed. If the wax wears off it pulls a little harder in snow, but not too bad.

Now I need to add some Nils Master Stickers and I'll be all set.  ;D

PIKEGUY

« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:52 PM »
yep we did that until we hit a little deep drain creek that crossed the path and we all went flying and my buddy ended up with a tree right between his legs.  :-\ And another guy hit his head on a tree, luckly didn't break the skin, but ended up with a headache for the morning.  :D

Been there done that. I have decided that the next time I ride the otter sled I'm not going head first :blink: :wacko:

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Yes, bad idea.

Here's my sled

And my modified tipup holder that works wonderfully, drainage pipe cut into sections makes a great Polar tipup holder, and a milk crate from a local convienence store is a perfect container for them. Best icefishing invention ever!

bigdave1018

« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:59 PM »
wow pasq, what a cool sled and ideas!!!!!!!!!!!! super sled and looks like no wasted space. thanks again.

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Well I built my sled yesterday (no pics yet, still needs paint) and I put it on the scale and 30#  I had to use wood, didn't want to fork out $ for a jet sled that didn't do what I wanted it to.  30# is a little heavy but I mostly fish lakes that are 8" plus of ice so 30# isn't to bad.  I have all the room in the world with built in seat.  I should have pics by Friday.  I was inspried by another sled on here and I will post to let all see.  The season is upon us so get off the net and get on the ice!  ;D
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.