The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: any ice left plainfield area  (Read 3277 times)

Offline 44blackfooted

• Team IceShanty Regular
any ice left plainfield area
« on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:48 PM »
any ice left in plainfield area or wherever in mass

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: any ice left plainfield area
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:40 PM »
I swing by Barton's cove on Monday and there was 9". Edges were rough but there was someone out there. I bet there's fishable ice in Plainfield, especially after the next couple days.
Be careful though!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Yes !

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Plainfield is  good.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Plainfield is  good.
Well, the ice is good lol. The bite has been a bit slower than usual, although I'm not usually fishing it until late March early April.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2016, 03:36 PM »
It sounds like it is going to be a circus.  I'm taking the yak out for the maiden voyage to hopefully get into some ice out pig perch and probably even make a few casts for whatever else is hungry.  Best of luck to those heading up there and be careful around the pipe.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:42 PM »
It sounds like it is going to be a circus.  I'm taking the yak out for the maiden voyage to hopefully get into some ice out pig perch and probably even make a few casts for whatever else is hungry.  Best of luck to those heading up there and be careful around the pipe.
Its funny, I think every weekend with the crappy ice it will be packed up there. Nope, its usually a few small groups on Saturday, few people on Sunday. Only 1or 2 that stay all day.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Please let me know how the ice holds up through out the day tomorrow.  I may join the gang on Sunday.  I haven't been looking at the bait in my tank much so the remaining couple dozen could be belly up.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Please let me know how the ice holds up through out the day tomorrow.  I may join the gang on Sunday.  I haven't been looking at the bait in my tank much so the remaining couple dozen could be belly up.
Gonna be chilly all day, I'm not worried about Sunday. Especially up there!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I fished Plainfield today from 8 AM to 2:30 PM.

The weather was fairly nice - - blue skies, morning started out in the 20's and a bit windy, but gradually warmed into the lower 30's and the wind died down.

The ice (which was skating rink quality) was odd.  It was about 8" where I chopped my first hole fairly close to shore, but only about 5" further out.  Usually, it's the other way around on most ponds.

There were about 4 or 5 parties of 3 or 4 guys (so say 20 icefishermen total) out fishing the Pond at any given time.  The ones who travelled the furthest (at least that I spoke to) were from Dartmouth down near New Bedford.

As far as I could see, the fishing was slow for all concerned.

I had a few flags, but most were only snatch and grab (perch, I think) that would take the line about a foot and then let go.  I did land one 7" perch on a tipup, and three more on a jig.

The biggest fish I saw today was a 17" pickerel caught by one of Basssquatch's buddies. (Sorry, I forgot your name).

I had a Polish pu pu platter for lunch - - kielbasa with home made horseradish, cabbage pierogis with sour cream, a golembki (cabbage roll) with a little tomato sauce - - washed down with a Beck's beer, then cleansed my palate with a clementine, before finishing off with hot coffee and chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert.

Since the fishing was slow, I socialized with my "neighbors" off and on during the day.

Manitron joined us in the early afternoon after having fished K of C Pond earlier in the day, where he caught the same "square nosed" pickerel that I reeled in last weekend (and he has the photo to prove it).

I'm hoping to head out to Burnett's in Savoy tomorrow for what (I fear) may be my last outing of the season. If anyone cares to join me, feel free.

Offline imaphisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Any BASSQUATCH sightings today?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2016, 09:55 PM »
Any BASSQUATCH sightings today?
only myself lol. I got my first Skunking of the season! I believe it was the same last year! Last day out on the ice with a skunk! I'll be casting the leftover bait local tomorrow. I'm done traveling this season for a skunk .  Up  @ 3:15, on the road @ 4am, set up by 6am, left the ice at 4:30 pm. LONG A$$ LAST DAY, 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2016, 05:25 AM »
only myself lol. I got my first Skunking of the season! I believe it was the same last year! Last day out on the ice with a skunk! I'll be casting the leftover bait local tomorrow. I'm done traveling this season for a skunk .  Up  @ 3:15, on the road @ 4am, set up by 6am, left the ice at 4:30 pm. LONG A$$ LAST DAY,
That sucks! I've got about 2 doz shiners to use up still

Offline chilly willy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Nice to meet you Bogtrotter, it was nice to get one last trip in for the season. The slow fishing makes it a bit easier to put the gear away. Our group of three managed to ice 5 fish, the biggest was a bass around 3lb. It was a long day,6 hours of travel time, and 8 hours fishing.
FLAG!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:19 AM »
That sucks! I've got about 2 doz shiners to use up still
I have about 20 suckers, 8 shiners & 2 little perch to use up myself. Dusting off the rods today.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Nice to meet you Bogtrotter, it was nice to get one last trip in for the season. The slow fishing makes it a bit easier to put the gear away. Our group of three managed to ice 5 fish, the biggest was a bass around 3lb. It was a long day,6 hours of travel time, and 8 hours fishing.

Nice to meet you too, Chilly!

Although the slow fishing may have been a disappointment, I have to say your 3 pounder was probably the best fish of the day for anyone on the Pond.

Tight lines during the open water!

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:29 PM »
Wound up spending Saturday on Ashfield Lake with my lady friend and a buddy. The north side had a decent 6" of ice but it got thinner the further you went out and quality crappier. South side wasn't looking so hot.
Pretty slow day for us but managed a few pics and three recently stocked brookies. Cool thing was we got one of them just as a five year old girl and her mom were wandering out onto the ice. I called them over and the little girl got to see her "first real live fish". I showed her how to put it back in the hole and gently hold it till it swims off. She got a kick out of it.

After lunch (picarski's sausage) we invented a game. By then we had two empty growlers so we invented "Growling". On skating rink quality ice we drilled a 6" hole and put a growler behind it as a backstop. From about thirty paces away the idea is to slide the growler across the ice either into the hole for 3pts or clinking into the other growler for 1pt. The growler (empty) has to stay upright. If it falls over while sliding it don't count. We played this for about 2 hours gathering a small audience until one of the growlers finally broke. It was so much fun I can hardly stand it.

We packed up as it was getting dark and went over to the Lake House (my friends are new owners and are making it great) and put back a couple wormtown "be hoppy"'s, played pool and ate really good chile….. the band sucked but whatchagonnado.

Very decent end to the season.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I was out there on Saturday too.  I showed up late because my buddy decided last minute that he didn't want to go.  I got there around 9 and fished until about 2:30.  I was out to the right passed the rock.  I only had small bait left so I ended up with 2 perch on tip ups and jigged up close to 40 really small perch.  Two of the perch were so small I put them on my tip ups but nothing was interested.  Out passed the rock toward the middle the ice was much thinner, only like 4-5 inches.  On my way home I took the scenic route and stopped at Buckley.  To my surprise there was a conservative 10 inches of ice and the ice was much better quality than Plainfield.  I was alone so I only checked about 100 feet out from the ramp.  I suspect there will be ice there next weekend but getting on it will probably be impossible.
westernmas on the finder

Offline chilly willy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Pmaloney86, a little while after you left, there was a bald eagle working your side of the pond. He alternated between flying over the tree line and landing on the ice, just before the rock. Was a cool site to see.
FLAG!!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:42 PM »
I had left some dead bait on the ice.  I'm sure he was enjoying a little snack.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I was out there on Saturday too.  I showed up late because my buddy decided last minute that he didn't want to go.  I got there around 9 and fished until about 2:30.  I was out to the right passed the rock.  I only had small bait left so I ended up with 2 perch on tip ups and jigged up close to 40 really small perch.  Two of the perch were so small I put them on my tip ups but nothing was interested.  Out passed the rock toward the middle the ice was much thinner, only like 4-5 inches.  On my way home I took the scenic route and stopped at Buckley.  To my surprise there was a conservative 10 inches of ice and the ice was much better quality than Plainfield.  I was alone so I only checked about 100 feet out from the ramp.  I suspect there will be ice there next weekend but getting on it will probably be impossible.
are you talking about Plainfield? The big rocks sticking out of the ice. Over by that little point on the right shoreline (east). If that's the spot, I was heading over there at 6am and I got our towards the middle and the ice cracked (not a freezing crack)  a your too heavy for this ice crack lol. 2  chops and water came through! I moved back towards the road with 7"-10". 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:01 PM »
are you talking about Plainfield? The big rocks sticking out of the ice. Over by that little point on the right shoreline (east). If that's the spot, I was heading over there at 6am and I got our towards the middle and the ice cracked (not a freezing crack)  a your too heavy for this ice crack lol. 2  chops and water came through! I moved back towards the road with 7"-10".

Yes, that is where I am talking about.  In between the two rocks directly out from that point the ice got a little thin but a good 4-5 inches which I'm comfortable on.  Over towards the shore line was a good 6-7.  I couldn't believe how much ice was at Buckley.  It was at least 10 inches in the two spots that I checked and was better quality.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Yes, that is where I am talking about.  In between the two rocks directly out from that point the ice got a little thin but a good 4-5 inches which I'm comfortable on.  Over towards the shore line was a good 6-7.  I couldn't believe how much ice was at Buckley.  It was at least 10 inches in the two spots that I checked and was better quality.
I'm betting Buckley will be toast after this week. I will put my boat in there some day. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.