The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flaming report  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flaming report
« on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:22 AM »
Hi everyone , I snuck up to Wyoming this weekend and been slaying some burbot at Flaming Gorge . Caught one nice bow and one dink mac so far and 13 burbot . Be looking for a bigger mac tomorrow morning . Somebody shut that wind off for me . Thanks  :woot:
Here is a pic of one caught 2 weeks ago . This is not my fish dang it .
Utah Ice

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Flaming report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:23 AM »
WOW Hellsangler,
                       What a beautiful fish! To bad that would have done well in the IS Tourney! Great picture! I hear you on the wind thing froze my as@@@ off Saturday!

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Hellsangler did Stub catch that mac?  If not it doesn't`t matter, he is always around big fish. 

As far south as I have been this year is bigbend.  Have you been further south and if so how is the ice?

Offline ice_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Is that the infamous 32 pounder that's been floating around the boards this week???

I went last weekend and caught 20 macks on saturday and 15 on sunday. Nothing huge the largest was 26" and the average was about 21". I did have one break a pole. It never gave when I set the hook. The rod just snapped right at the handle and the fish jerked on my reel until he came loose.... :%$#!:

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Wow sounds like the fishings been pretty good down there! How much ice is down at anvil?

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:14 PM »
I fished only the Buckboard area . Ice was 18"+ .  And I seen some tire tracks from someone driving on the ice with truck . I caught 13 burbot , 8 bows and 3 mack and the biggest burbot and mac was 21" . I was just happy to catch anything . It was my first time there so just learning the place . I plan to fish with a boat there this year chasing kokes and macs . I hear from others that they been driving sleds on the ice at swim beach so I sure Anvil it capped good . That big mack pic is one from the bigfishtackle site that I hang out on . Maybe someday I'll catch one like that , but I broke 5 fish off and as I feared , I didn't bring strong enough tackle for the Gorge . First time Fishing there and I learned some from this trip .

Utah Ice

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:06 PM »
hell'sangler, did you take that picture of the 32lber?

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:51 PM »
No , but I know the guy that did .
Utah Ice

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:24 AM »
the reason spudbar and i are going down to the gorge this weekend is it's supposed to be good for the big lakers in late feb - early march, and also it's both of our birthdays...  maybe the alignment of the stars will get us into the big boys...  anything above 25 - 30 lbs is going on the wall.

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:41 AM »
BottomDweller,
I am going to be down around Anvil Fri and Sat and again on Tues and
Wed, driving a 2002 red ford extended cab, Holler and say hello if your in the area.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:53 AM »
hellsangler, do you have a bathymetric map of the gorge?

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I have a Fish-N-Map of the Gorge with contuors lines and depths . In fact I have 2 now because the new ones have GPS locations of the humps that Lake Trout like . I be there at the Anvil (pot hole) saturday for a day trip again . On foot again . So this old boy don't go to far out . LOL
Utah Ice

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Where around Buckboard did you catch the ling? We haven't really tried for 'em but we haven't caught any and trying to figure out how. My dad tried off the cliffs outside of buckboard cove but didn't get anything.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Fish 20 to 40' deep off the boat ramp on the east side . or the small bay just to the east . Lots of bow cruise thru too up higher . Fish a glow jig with sucker meat or a tube jig glow with meat . Sunset is when they start to feed . If you have extra meat chum the hole with it . I going to be there tomorrow at Anvil . I plan on trying to find one there too .
Utah Ice

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Hey thanks Hellsangler....Hopeful ly you're killing them right now.....I'm going out Monday with my dad, probably around confluence if you or anyone wants to come up. Anyone feel free to message me if you're coming up and I'll be able to get back to you Sunday. Good luck everyone!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2007, 02:29 AM »
I struggled today(saturday) in Anvil . Had that smell of skunk going for most of the day and stopped by Buckboard for my revenge . Hooked 4 pup macs , biggest going 21" and a 20" Burbot caught at the small bay east of the boat launch in 48' of water . Ran into Wyohunter and said our hello's . What a long day trip . Ice is getting bad at Swim beach and Lucerne Bay . May not last much longer . Be careful out on atvs and sleds because there are some 6' wide openings out there in the cracks . I busted thru getting off the ice at Lucerne . Ice 8" at Anvil , 6" at Lucerne and about 18" still at Buckboard with no snow and very slick ice . Here is some pics of the burbot .

Utah Ice

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:57 PM »
Fished Buckboard last night. the Ice at buckboard is still about 18" and in good shape. We ended up catching two limits of eater macs running 18 to 22 inches with our biggest being 25. Heres a picture of my buddy with the last fish caught and our biggest.

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Way to go on the eaters . Good to see some snow on that ice now . It was a tad slick last weekend . :woot:
Utah Ice

Offline Dilli

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Baby!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2007, 07:30 PM »
nice fish!!!  my son and I are goin gto hit Sunday

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:26 AM »
how'd you do dilli?

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Heading to the Gorge for one last try for a big one, will be at buckboard Fri and Sat

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2007, 03:24 PM »
GOOD LUCK WYOHUNTER. probably ice-off here soon - be careful  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.