Author Topic: Do you guys fish for Pike?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can't wait for good ice
Do you guys fish for Pike?
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Just wondering if any of you Indiana boys ice fish for northern pike, I never have, what does it take to catch'm? :tipup:
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do you guys fish for Pike?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 04:57 PM »
I never have either ..catching pike is on my icefishing (new things to try) list for this season...ive been reading a whole lot on them..i want to catch one on a jig pole...Bamm!!!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Pike are perty close to the easiest fish to catch in the winter, and the cheapest.  All ya need is a couple of tip-ups w/ 14 to 20 lb test, a big hook, and a wire leader with a sucker or shiner on the end.  Set 'er at a weededge in about 12 ft and 4-5 ft off bottom, and wait.  Obviously you can get more complicate w/ a jigging rod & what not, but that's what I've always done and it's worked for me!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2005, 07:26 PM »
Its fun to catch em on a tip up.  But you've  got to haul a bunch of extra stuff out there and keep those big minnows or suckers alive.  When they first hit let them run out line until they stop.  Then wait, they will take a minute to turn the fish around to swallow it then as it tightens up again haul back and set the hook.  Also make a gaff and take it with you.  A great big hook lashed to a stick works good.  Stick down the hole and haul them out.  Great to eat, nice white meat.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2005, 08:42 PM »
But don't forget, since pike are such an aggressive (dumb) species, please immediately release anything of size.  A nice pike can vary from place to place.  In northern MN, I release anything over 31 in, or about 7 1/2 lbs.  Sometimes I'll catch 10 pike like this or bigger a day out of some lakes, but it really helps a lake out if you're responsible.  Also, please don't gaff 'em unless you're planning to keep 'em.  A fish lost at the bottom of the hole still counts in my book.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:42 PM »
You are right about the conservation issues- the best eating ones in Indiana are the ones that just make the 24" legal limit.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:06 PM »
I Watched A guy catch 2 in about 30 minutes  2 years ago....i know right where to go ..im gonna try it this year... ;D

Offline smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can't wait for good ice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2005, 11:16 AM »
Good info, thanks guys. And by they way, how big is trophy size considered? And no I don't stuff'm I prefer fiberglass so I can catch'm again.
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2005, 05:42 PM »
Well, up in northern MN, a trophy would be about 25 lbs.  In Canada, prolly about 30.  But a trophy pike down south might be 10

Offline ice dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2005, 06:05 PM »
I would have one mounted if it was over 40" .  There are some nice ones in Lake James,George and Clear. The state record is right at 30 lbs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.