Author Topic: Walleye Virgin needing some guidance  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Walleye Virgin needing some guidance
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:32 PM »
I think there is another open water forum but don't know where it is.

I have never caught a Walleye but the reservoir right up the road is loaded with them and I just finished setting up a nice fishing boat to fish there. Electric motors only and I have front and rear and 4 new big Marine batteries. I have a nice electric downrigger and I am very familiar with trout and Salmon trolling for many years. No need to treat me like a novice except that I never targeted Walleyes and don't know much about fish for this species of fish.

The lake is the Rio Reservoir. It is in Sullivan county NY and is the Mongaup river that is dammed in 3 places. Average depth is probably around 25 feet and a channel runs through it where the river once was that can go down to 90 or 100 feet deep. Not too much in the line of structure but there are numerous spots where the bottom comes up quick and drops off just as quick. Have to pay attention when running the ball deep or it will get hooked up or be bouncing bottom.

My tackle box is over loaded with trout and salmon lures, rapalas of every style, every kind of spoon from large to small and in a rainbow of colors. I just don't know a thing about catching the eyes or what lures or techniques to begin with. The season opened on Saturday and I fished but had no luck. Fish were hanging at around 25 feet and I ran every thing I had, varied my speeds and changed lures often. While bringing in one lure for a change I did have a very nice eye follow me right to the boat, black and purple red eye lure but he went south as soon as he got near the boat.

Who is better to ask than my pals here on the IS? Sullivan county is right near the borders of PA and NJ and there are 3 nice reservoirs in the Mongaup chain that all have good trout and eye fishing. Tackle and techniques are my main concerns to target the eyes and any help will be appreciated. Water temp on the surface is 55 degrees right now and there is no need to treat me like a new guy where serious fishing with downriggers is concerned. I just always concentrated on the trout and salmon in these waters but the eyes are coming on strong and getting to be very respectable sizes. I will figure it out by myself being a retired guy but I am always willing to help IS guys with ice fishing and hope I can find some info for the eyes.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Walleye Virgin needing some guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:32 PM »
The open water forum is www.myfishfinder.com. I would bet you will get allot more feedback this time of year over there. My experience with walleyes is on large natural lakes with structure galore, so I will let others answer first. It always seems to come down to a couple things though... forage and water temp. If you can get those two things dialed in, you will catch them.

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:03 AM »
You might be fishing too deep. I don't know anybody that has used a downrigger for walleyes.  With the water that cold yet they should be in shallower and I've never seen anybody catch one in more than 40 feet of water. That being said, I live nowhere near that lake; extremely clear water could drive them out deeper. If your regs allow it you should try some live bait. Lindy rig with a minnow or leech

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I chuckled when i read this. I too have been trying to catch walleye on this lake. I have been nailing the perch using a worm harness in the hopes of catching an eye. Never used these before, but basically bottom bouncing at very low speeds. I have yet to catch one, but i am having fun trying. Good luck, and if i figure them out i will pm you.
👮👮👮

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2012, 05:38 AM »
I chuckled when i read this. I too have been trying to catch walleye on this lake. I have been nailing the perch using a worm harness in the hopes of catching an eye. Never used these before, but basically bottom bouncing at very low speeds. I have yet to catch one, but i am having fun trying. Good luck, and if i figure them out i will pm you.

Ditto on the perch and some very nice ones for sure. What has me baffled on this lake is all the fish I am marking and not being able to tell what they are unless you catch one of those marks. I have floated around with slip bobbers and bottom bouncers and just get perch and bass but no eyes yet.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Let me start out by saying that I am no walleye expert, But I have caught my share ( http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=226220.msg2268449#msg2268449
Not being familiar with your lake, I can't help much as to location. 
But here is how I fish lake Erie..  worm harness being pulled at 1.5 to 2 mph.  Depth normally controlled by #40 and #50 Jet divers / tru trip divers 150 to 200' back in 50 to 60+ fow.  (also use dipsy's to get in the same depth range).  for a change up lure I use Michigan Stinger Scorpion Spoons and  Renosky cranks, but most are caught on meat.   (if I am marking fish at 50' I use a #40 jet, fish at 60', I use a #50.  I like to keep the lure above the fish, not going through them). 

On a local (shallower) reservoir I long line hot n tots, Renosky's and Matzuo Tournament Cranks, also at 1.5 to 2 mph. 
Best advise is to keep at it, change up lure selection, speed, depth, etc. until you catch one.  And then repeat it !!   (line counter reels work great for repeat presentations)

GOOD LUCK !!  and Have fun !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2012, 11:08 PM »
if all that doesn't work try some of the same at night or maybe some jigging during the day  and at night , try not to over think them, it will drive you up a wall     

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Try trolling spinners.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Let me start out by saying that I am no walleye expert, But I have caught my share ( http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=226220.msg2268449#msg2268449
Not being familiar with your lake, I can't help much as to location. 
But here is how I fish lake Erie..  worm harness being pulled at 1.5 to 2 mph.  Depth normally controlled by #40 and #50 Jet divers / tru trip divers 150 to 200' back in 50 to 60+ fow.  (also use dipsy's to get in the same depth range).  for a change up lure I use Michigan Stinger Scorpion Spoons and  Renosky cranks, but most are caught on meat.   (if I am marking fish at 50' I use a #40 jet, fish at 60', I use a #50.  I like to keep the lure above the fish, not going through them). 

On a local (shallower) reservoir I long line hot n tots, Renosky's and Matzuo Tournament Cranks, also at 1.5 to 2 mph. 
Best advise is to keep at it, change up lure selection, speed, depth, etc. until you catch one.  And then repeat it !!   (line counter reels work great for repeat presentations)

GOOD LUCK !!  and Have fun !!
this works in the western and central basin also!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.